Author Topic: Rally to Restore Sanity/Keep Fear Alive  (Read 38804 times)

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
Re: Rally to Restore Sanity/Keep Fear Alive
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2010, 02:29:16 pm »
somebody should throw a brick . . . and see if they get beaten to death.
Classic
‼‼?‼‼

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2010, 09:49:28 pm »
Your Pal Pete performs the proposed anthem "Agree to Disagree" for the Rally to Restore Sanity and the Rally to Keep Fear Alive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPH6RWIbwds

We are having a sign making party this weekend....
T.Rex

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2010, 07:39:35 pm »
I think it's silly and that people's energy could be better spent mobilizing voters for the elections three days later. And they damn well better not trash the city the day before the marathon.

Who gives a shit? This has nothing to do with politics and everything to do with comedians cracking jokes and everyone having a good time. Their job isn't to mobilize voters and get politicians elected. It's to help everyone have a funny time. FOR FREE. ON THE MALL.

Which rock did you just climb out from under?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2010, 09:21:12 pm »
Two for two... TMUL in full effect.
<sig>

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2010, 11:22:18 pm »
^ He's like our own Archie Bunker.  :D

James Ford

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2010, 07:48:01 am »
You go girl! Your brusqueness is obviously overcompensation for your liking of wussy has-been music. Bless your heart.

What rock did I climb out from under? Four words. I DON'T HAVE CABLE. Though I do have a life. One with family, and real hobbies and interests. I know there are a  number of 30 and 40somethings around DC who lack those things, so I can totally see them putting down the New Yorker for a few hours on a nice Saturday afternoon or begging for a Saturday off from the firm and going down to the mall to be entertained by a couple of lame tv comedians.

But what I don't quite understand are the people driving hundreds of miles and paying hundreds of dollars in hotel bills (I know at least ten people doing this.) to simply be "entertained" by comedians they watch on television on a regular basis.

Thanks for straigtening me out. These out of towners aren't misguided citizens. They're fools.

I think it's silly and that people's energy could be better spent mobilizing voters for the elections three days later. And they damn well better not trash the city the day before the marathon.

Who gives a shit? This has nothing to do with politics and everything to do with comedians cracking jokes and everyone having a good time. Their job isn't to mobilize voters and get politicians elected. It's to help everyone have a funny time. FOR FREE. ON THE MALL.

Hieronymus

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2010, 08:28:51 am »

But what I don't quite understand are the people driving hundreds of miles and paying hundreds of dollars in hotel bills (I know at least ten people doing this.) to simply be "entertained" by comedians they watch on television on a regular basis.

Thanks for straigtening me out. These out of towners aren't misguided citizens. They're fools.

I think you're missing the point. These folks coming in from wherever (and mind you I think this is basically bullshit as well) believe that they're going to witness some Cultural Event. And there is something political about it for a lot of people -- they think if enough people do go to this thing, it'll somehow offset all the Tea Party shit in the media.

Far as I'm concerned, since I can just walk down there and pay a total of 0 dollars, it's an excuse for my buddies and I to shoot the shit, do some prime people watching/ridicule, maybe see a little music (you've gotta admit, the rumors are intriguing -- and that's something you can obviously understand), and if it turns out to have any cultural or political significance, whatever that means, that's just gravy.

James Ford

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2010, 09:07:50 am »
You make some good points. After reading your last paragraph, I can see the appeal for locals. Just not what I'd spend an October day doing, especially since I'm running the marathon Sunday and want some quality time at home on Saturday. Even if i weren't running the marathon, I think I'd opt for hiking, camping, raking leaves, or some kid activity.

I still don't grasp the blind faith shown by out of towners. America must be pretty damn dull and many liberals must have way too musch disposable income.

I think you're missing the point. These folks coming in from wherever (and mind you I think this is basically bullshit as well) believe that they're going to witness some Cultural Event. And there is something political about it for a lot of people -- they think if enough people do go to this thing, it'll somehow offset all the Tea Party shit in the media.

Far as I'm concerned, since I can just walk down there and pay a total of 0 dollars, it's an excuse for my buddies and I to shoot the shit, do some prime people watching/ridicule, maybe see a little music (you've gotta admit, the rumors are intriguing -- and that's something you can obviously understand), and if it turns out to have any cultural or political significance, whatever that means, that's just gravy.

walkonby

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2010, 09:54:06 am »
i like how people who run marathons . . . are making fun of others doing "useless things."

James Ford

« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2010, 10:02:09 am »
Thanks the marathoners for keeping your group insurances costs down when you're shelling out $$ for all of your medical expenses that you're going to incur once your lifetime of unhealthiness catches up with you.  ;)

i like how people who run marathons . . . are making fun of others doing "useless things."

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2010, 10:10:03 am »
Thanks the marathoners for keeping your group insurances costs down when you're shelling out $$ for all of your medical expenses that you're going to incur once your lifetime of unhealthiness catches up with you.  ;)

right, and you can thank the non-marathoners for subsidizing the knee replacements, new hip joints, and endless physio y'all need because of your chosen pursuit...
<sig>

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2010, 10:22:00 am »
I think it's a little disingenuous to pretend there is nothing political about this rally, when it's being held 3 days before Election Day, when it's being held on the Washington Mall, home of political rallies, when the audience of the Daily Show and Colbert is overwhelmingly Democrat-leaning, when Ariana Huffington is busing people in, and when the whole thing appears to have been conceived as a response to Glenn Beck's rally in  August (and Beck also claimed his rally was non political, btw).

Even if one believes it's non-political, I think it's reasonable to assume that 99 percent of the people attending will be unhappy if Republicans gain control of Congress.   And despite being a Stewart/Colbert fan, that's where the whole thing kind of concerns me -- because while left-leaning hipsters will be traveling to Washington to have their ironic, comedic, self-affirming fun on the Mall, the Teabaggers will be back at the home, working completely unironically in their determined slow-witted fashion, on get-out-the-vote drives and all the rest.    And guess which side is more likely to gain power next week.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 10:23:37 am by Doctor Doom »
_\|/_

James Ford

« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2010, 10:26:05 am »

I think it's a little disingenuous to pretend there is nothing political about this rally, when it's being held 3 days before Election Day, when it's being held on the Washington Mall, home of political rallies, when the audience of the Daily Show and Colbert is overwhelmingly Democrat-leaning, when Ariana Huffington is busing people in, and when the whole thing appears to have been conceived as a response to Glenn Beck's rally in  August (and Beck also claimed his rally was non political, btw).

Even if one believes it's non-political, I think it's reasonable to assume that 99 percent of the people attending will be unhappy if Republicans gain control of Congress.   And despite being a Stewart/Colbert fan, that's where the whole thing kind of concerns me -- because while left-leaning hipsters will be traveling to Washington to have their ironic, comedic, self-affirming fun on the Mall, the Teabaggers will be back at the home, working completely unironically in their determined slow-witted fashion, on get-out-the-vote drives and all the rest.    And guess which side is more likely to gain power next week.

walkonby

« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2010, 11:08:13 am »
shouldn't you be drinking some good beer or something?

hutch

« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2010, 11:17:42 am »
criticizing a free event with Jon Stewart, Colbert and music?

I'm not sure I can make it due to my son's 1st birthday that weekend but I think its great.. we get enough lame events on the mall, street closures, walk to raise money for _____, etc. Nice to have something I'd actually want to be at...