Author Topic: People sleeping in the middle of sidewalks in Columbia Heights  (Read 14213 times)

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
Re: People sleeping in the middle of sidewalks in Columbia Heights
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2010, 12:03:54 pm »
What i think you're starting to see this boils down to is that what makes sense is different for every person and their circumstances in life. 
_\|/_

Relaxer

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2010, 12:16:22 pm »
oword

Christine Moritz

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2010, 12:19:21 pm »
I know/have known some people who rent/bought in Washington, DC and commuted to their jobs in Northern VA. Now that's dumb.

if the missus and junior are your life, then the burbs are awesome.  but if you're a young person who likes to go out, all your friends are in the district, etc, living in DC no matter where your work is is a very understandable choice.  after i first moved to DC, i found out that my client was out in reston/sterling.  no way in hell i would live out there.  being able to walk home from shows and sports events, bike to hundreds of restaurants and bars, etc was worth it to me.  i'm sure i'm not the only one.

this week i'm working at corporate HQ in tysons.  this place is oppressive.  my team-mates were excited when they heard we'd be working "in DC" for week.  you should have seen the looks on their faces when they first saw this area... "horror" about sums it up.  they're mostly recent college grads.

What i think you're starting to see this boils down to is that what makes sense is different for every person and their circumstances in life. 

Well put on both counts, esp. Sweetcell's "f you're a young person who likes to go out, all your friends are in the district, etc, living in DC no matter where your work is is a very understandable choice."

I moved to the District while I was still working in Maryland, and did the reverse commute for six years.

Now I work in the District, and I'm glad that my commute is shorter and doesn't involve driving.  However, if I were married with kids, I'd probably have different priorities.

Relaxer

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2010, 12:33:49 pm »
For the record, I'm 40, married and have kids, and have lived in the city for almost 20 years. The idea of living in the suburbs, especially the D.C. suburbs, has absolutely no appeal. I could go on and on but I don't want the 'burbers to get mad (lol).
oword

walkonby

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2010, 12:37:48 pm »
For the record, I'm 40, married and have kids, and have lived in the city for almost 20 years. The idea of living in the suburbs, especially the D.C. suburbs, has absolutely no appeal. I could go on and on but I don't want the 'burbers to get mad (lol).

you being forty . . . not so much, but you having kids somehow intrigues me.

Relaxer

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2010, 12:44:07 pm »
Well if it helps to complete the portrait, I've also had a vasectomy.
oword

Relaxer

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2010, 12:44:31 pm »
I'm not sure how that would complete the portrait.
oword

hutch

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2010, 12:57:47 pm »
Of course its better to live in DC if you can afford it.. its ridiculously overpriced..1750 per month rent for a junior one bedroom?

I mean if you want to leave in Petworth and get shot riding your bike thats great.. but when you have a family.. a small child.. you got to do what you got to do

I mean DC is a big place.. WHere in DC are we talking about?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 01:02:03 pm by hutch »

brennser

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2010, 01:11:42 pm »
me too and agreed on all counts....well except for the 40 part  :P

godsshoeshine

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2010, 01:16:44 pm »
all 4 or 5 jobs i've had in the area have been in the suburbs so i never saw a reason to live in dc. especially those parts of dc that look like suburbs
o/\o

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2010, 01:29:22 pm »
You've got to also remember that not everyone likes living in an urban environment. Even with all its benefits, glitz, glamour and conveniences, too often it's just too dirty, rat infested, dangerous and stressful for some people.

Some people prefer having a little space around them with trees, birds (not just those ghetto birds you find everywhere), deer, grass, usually better parking, a slower pace and a sense of being able to get away from it all. Granted, not all suburban spaces are like that but it usually does have a sense of being a bit less congested. Going rural is even more appealing to some, like Walky, but then you're usually adding that much more of a commute, even just going to the grocery store. It's all personal priorities.

I love them all but have grown in to preferring a bit of getting away from it all in my life. Other than for occasional visits, I would have hated it while I was younger. If I was well off, I'd have a nice penthouse in the city with my own private parking and a really nice spread in the country. In the meantime, I need my one and only place to be more of a retreat than smack dab in the middle of an overpriced madhouse.

eltee

« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2010, 01:49:34 pm »
as for people who live in DC and commute to VA...   it's definitely a better commute than the other way around, and if you value the ability to walk to restaurants and clubs in your free time, there's nothing dumb about it.  Personally I'd prefer never to take a job in VA, but people don't always have that choice.
No, it's not easier.

eltee

« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2010, 01:51:16 pm »
but then you're usually adding that much more of a commute, even just going to the grocery store. It's all personal priorities.
I dunno, sometimes you have to leave the city for a particular store and what not, or basically, go to Pentagon City area.

eltee

« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2010, 01:56:03 pm »
I know/have known some people who rent/bought in Washington, DC and commuted to their jobs in Northern VA. Now that's dumb.

if the missus and junior are your life, then the burbs are awesome.  but if you're a young person who likes to go out, all your friends are in the district, etc, living in DC no matter where your work is is a very understandable choice. 
this week i'm working at corporate HQ in tysons. 
Tyson's sucks b/c there is no sidewalk to walk except for Greensboro. I missed that a bunch when I worked in that area.
C'mon, don't stipulate living in DC to just single people and married folks w/ kids to living in DC.
Best of both worlds could be Arlington / Alexandria - close enough, but far enough with walkability and restaurants, bars, etc. etc. Expensive, but a little breathing room and cleaner. (not necessarily an opinion just observing)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 01:57:37 pm by El Tee »

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2010, 02:18:52 pm »
(not necessarily an opinion just observing)

i think you got that backwards, because your statement is in fact an opinion.   close enough/far enough, walkability, a little breathing room and even to some extent cleaner - these are opinions. 
<sig>