Author Topic: non music related cell phone carrier question  (Read 7915 times)

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
non music related cell phone carrier question
« on: October 28, 2010, 03:29:38 pm »
Anyone here have t-mobile and live in the dc metro area?  opinions?

Relaxer

Re: non music related cell phone carrier question
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 03:31:36 pm »
I have T-Mobile and live in the city and have always been pretty well satisfied, i.e. no problems, etc.

oword

Vas Deferens

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 03:40:33 pm »
Have it....no problems with them when I'm in DC or Baltimore.

Anyone here have t-mobile and live in the dc metro area?  opinions?
(_|_)

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 03:44:50 pm »
how about when you get out of the city into the sticks a little bit...how do you fare outside the beltway etc?

thanks to you both...more comments welcome. 

had it with ATT...i'm done done done done.  and verizon is just too damn expensive...so it's down to sprint or tmobile...

Relaxer

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 03:48:16 pm »
When I've gone out to the Shenandoahs, it starts getting a little spotty in the sticks between, say, Warrenton and Sperryville. But I remember making calls from Big Meadow inside Shenandoah Park. One thing I can't do, which I could with Verizon, is make calls from on top of Old Rag Mountain. That was always kind of nifty.

I realize I'm over-posting today but I don't have much to do.

oword

Vas Deferens

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 04:09:58 pm »
I live in the country (under 20,000 people)...have all the bars while at work, less while I'm at home. The only disappointing part is when I make international calls...I sometimes have to try over and over before I can get through. I have the android G1 and love it  ;D
(_|_)

godsshoeshine

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 04:18:35 pm »
i've had tmobile, verizon and at&t since i've lived here, and tmobile's coverage was the worst. i dont think its a HUGE difference between all three. it wasnt worth the customer service hassles and cost of verizon though once i switched
o/\o

Christine Moritz

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 05:00:55 pm »
I've been with T-Mobile for five years.  I've found their customer service far superior to AT&T's. (The original AT&T Wireless was all right for customer service, but Cingular were bastards when i was with them, and I was not happy when they bought AT&T Wireless and I was stuck with them again.)

I've never really noticed problems with reception in D.C.  However, when I go to visit my mom in North Carolina, I have a hard time getting a signal and have to roam on another network.  I get good reception in NYC, and somewhat iffy reception in my friend's apartment in L.A.  Because it's a GSM phone, I've used my phone abroad -- not much in the UK, because I have a UK pay-as-you-go phone, but it came in handy when I was in Sweden and Denmark recently.

I am actually thinking about switching from T-Mobile to Cricket because I could get a better service package for about $5 less.  I am a little leery of switching away from the Big Four, though (and of switching from a GSM phone to a CDMA one).  Has anyone here used Cricket?

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2010, 05:24:41 pm »
My iPhone works great for data now that there is a verizon mifi in the office ;) and it spends the rest of the searching
T.Rex

walkonby

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2010, 05:44:09 pm »
'in the country, under twenty thousand' . . . that's a good one.  twenty thousand is a city.  the "country town" that i live in is population four hundred.  saa-lute!  and cell phones don't work at all.  none of 'em, so there.  take that.  and we like it that way.  i would spit, but i am at my desk.

and yes, relaxer . . . i know your popularity is growing like a seaman on the saucy side of seattle, but uhh-huhh, you are, taking it deep and far.  you're frightening the children.  don't make me throw shade.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 05:48:32 pm by walkonby »

hutch

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2010, 06:24:42 pm »
Verizon should be avoided whenever possible..they are just plain evil..

I have Sprint cell phone and I'm not too excited... I'd love to get something that cost less.I barely use it and have a cheapo phone I've had for years.. I do use text messaging...

Does Cricket cost less or something?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2010, 07:27:34 pm »
and yes, relaxer . . . i know your popularity is growing like a seaman on the saucy side of seattle, but uhh-huhh, you are, taking it deep and far.  you're frightening the children.  don't make me throw shade.

so cute.
<sig>

eltee

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2010, 08:48:25 pm »
don't get sprint.
their customer services sucks. their reception sucks, especially indoors.
i worked there at one time and we couldn't even get reception on our phones in our own building. (and we all knew the cell service reps were horrible. i broke down once and called road side service and they tried to sell me a phone rather than put in my trouble ticket for a tow truck.)
once i had another carrier, i noticed friends and family who had sprint had a horrible connection and dropped calls while talking to me. they all got rid of their service - moved to verizon.
friends have verizon / tmobile not sure about att outside the city and it seems to work fine.

Christine Moritz

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2010, 10:56:14 pm »
Does Cricket cost less or something?
Yeah... unlimited talk/text for $35/month.  That's why I'm tempted.

http://www.mycricket.com/cell-phone-plans

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2010, 11:13:22 pm »
I wonder if Cricket uses there own network in DC or just has an agreement with Sprint for coverage, like they do in others parts of the country...

and honestly if there is a Verizon iPhone, AT&T is going to be hurting big time...

i known someone that lives in Detroit near the river and ends up making calls via the Canadian iPhone carrier because the AT&T signal is so lousy and its much stronger coming from the Windsor area. 
T.Rex