Author Topic: Recent used cd finds  (Read 3166 times)

Recent used cd finds
« on: March 12, 2004, 10:55:00 am »
Made my weekly trick to CD Game Exchange, and got the following last night, all for a grand total of $2.11.

1. Jellyfish Comes Alive by Jellyfish. A five song live promotional cd from 1991. I'll give it 6.7 balls. Pitchdork has no rating for this one; presumably their writers were still in diapers when it was released.

2. Stellastarr* by Stellastarr*: This is what Rusted Root would sound like if they went to art school in NYC. Or maybe what David Byrne would sound like fronting the Pixies. Quite dereivative, but often tolerable. Can't think of a reason why I would listen to this one again, but it wasn't a horrible experience the first time through. My rating: 5.1 balls. Pitchdork rating: 7.4 dorks

3. Grant Lee Phillips: Virginia Creeper: Very pleasant album. Definitely something that will get repeat listens. Little quieter than GLB. Nice GRam Parsons cover at the end. My rating: 8.1 balls. Pitchdork rating: nothing...probably won't bother with it since it's a tad alt-countryish.

4. Arab Strap: Monday at the Hug & Pint: This guys voice is so grating, he should call himself Dulcinea..harhar...the music isn't bad, but they guys voice...ycuk. Just can't make it through this one. My rating: 3.4 balls. Pitchdork rating: 8.7 dorks. Of course they liked this turd.

ratioci nation

Re: Recent used cd finds
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2004, 11:01:00 am »
Originally posted by bunnyballs:

3. Grant Lee Phillips: Virginia Creeper: Very pleasant album. Definitely something that will get repeat listens. Little quieter than GLB. Nice GRam Parsons cover at the end. My rating: 8.1 balls. Pitchdork rating: nothing...probably won't bother with it since it's a tad alt-countryish.

Only got 6 z's at big yawn

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2004, 11:15:00 am »
I'll see how it holds up with repeated listens. Along with BR549, Nellie McKay, and Norah Jones, this is only the fourth album of 2004 that I've actually bought and liked...wonder how the new Bigger Lovers album is...

Originally posted by pollard:

Only got 6 z's at big yawn [/b]

Celeste

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2004, 11:22:00 am »
I think Jellyfish is one of those bands I'm supposed to like and want to like, but just don't really...

Bags

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2004, 11:31:00 am »
  ...wonder how the new Bigger Lovers album is...
Got a promo copy of that for $5; haven't listened yet, as I have too much to listen to right now.

RE Jellyfish -- what a find.  I'll bet it could go for big bucks on power pop websites.  You should check to see if it's out of print (my bet is yes).

I LOVE Jellyfish, but they're progenitors of my fave genre, so it's a no brainer.  Celeste, do you like Jason Falkner?  I can see you & balls preferring Falkner to Jellyfish...

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2004, 11:37:00 am »
yeah, just saw the Jellyfish for sale for $43. Sounds good. Guess I could make a pretty penny if i wanted to.

Bags

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2004, 11:40:00 am »
  yeah, just saw the Jellyfish for sale for $43. Sounds good. Guess I could make a pretty penny if i wanted to.
As I thought.  You sure could (and I would! But I'm not a major 'collector' type).

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2004, 11:47:00 am »
This week I found the Traveling Wilburys Vol.1 for 99 cents in, of all places, FYE in Greenbelt.

Yeah, not your usual 930 tunage but I like it. And the CD goes for much more in other places.
😐 🎶

vansmack

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2004, 02:04:00 pm »
Last weekend I went to Amoeba and bought:

The Decline of British Sea Power - $5.99

Ash - Fallen Angels [Limited Edition w/ DVD] - $5.99

The Pleased - Don't Make Things - $4.99

Fiction Plane - Everything Will Never Be Ok - $1.99

Teenage Fanclub - Songs From Northern Britain - $5.99

The Frames - Setlist $4.99
27>34

Bags

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2004, 02:12:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:
  Last weekend I went to Amoeba and bought:

The Decline of British Sea Power - $5.99
Dog, they didn't have that last week, only new copies (one of which I bought).  These were my Amoeba used purchases (some were 8.99 -- can't remember which, though Missy Elliot was...):

- Missy Elliot, ???So Addictive? (2001)
 - Sciflyer, ??Fair Weather Karma?  ()
 - The Bigger Lovers, ??This Affair Never Happened? (2004)
 - Cenro-Matic, ??Love You Just the Same? (2003)
 - Clearlake, ??Cedars? (2003)
 - Afghan Wigs, ??Gentleman? (1993)
 - The Gurus, ??S/T? (2004)
 - The Minus 5, ??In Rock? (2004)
 - Mr. T Experience, ??Yesterday Rules? (2004)
 - The Three O??Clock, ??Vermillion Rules? (1988) [$14.99 cuz it's out of print; I made a mistake, but may try ebay]
 - Elf Power, ??Nothing??s Going to Happen? (2002)
 - Elefant, Sunlight Makes Me Paranoid? (2003)
 - The Everyothers, ??S/T? (2003)
 - Helicopter Helicopter, ??Wild Dogs with X-Rays? (2003)
 - Some Girls, ??Feel It? (2003)
 - The Delgados, ??The Great Eastern? (2000)
 - Mosquitos, ??S/T/ (2003)
 - Longwave, ??The Strangest Things? (2003)
 - Velvet Crush, ??Free Expression? (1999)
 - Wheat, ??Per Second, Per Second, Per Second?Every Second?
 (2003)

markie

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2004, 02:15:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bags:
  - The Delgados, ??The Great Eastern? (2000)
 (2003)
If I were an asshole  I would say, you should have just bought that album and listened to it 500 times.

Bags

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2004, 02:21:00 pm »
If you were an asshole?

Are you saying that's the only worthwhile purchase?  Well, that buffets my ticket purchase for the Black Cat show, but I'm not sure all the rest is crap...

PS, listening to The National S/T and wow, I wish I had some Peter Murphy in my office...  But, you see, I did *buy* the album at the show, always one to want to give back to the artist...

vansmack

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2004, 02:23:00 pm »
  Dog, they didn't have that last week, only new copies (one of which I bought).  These were my Amoeba used purchases -

Longwave, ??The Strangest Things? (2003)

It was marked with an "Advance" label so I'm guessing it was the copy the store was sent to promote the album.  It appears as though they were through with it.  They were loading it into the "Recent Used Arrivals" Section as I was searching the A's.  Just lucky I guess.  Funnily, someone else asked me about it as I was walking around the store too.

If it makes you feel better, my buddy went to pick up the Elefant album after the Monday night show and they didn't have any.  I'll be sure to tell him that you got the last copy.  Track 7 (the title track) is my favorite on that album, by the way.  

Smackette picked up that Longwave Album too, though I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet.
27>34

Bags

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2004, 02:27:00 pm »
My Clearlake was an advance promo copy as well, so it was only $4.99.  (Not sure I like it yet, but they're playing with the Decemberists.)  Still, these folks here with their $1 purchases; I need more patience, I guess.  

Love that recent used section -- you find all kinds of stuff there that's also over in the artists' sections.

markie

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2004, 02:34:00 pm »
  If you were an asshole?

I did say it, right?

I dont know a lot of what you bought. But I would still wager that the great eastern is the best. I think I might listen to it right now.