Author Topic: So I voted for the elected DC Atty Gen referendum  (Read 2930 times)

Thousand Made-Up Loves

So I voted for the elected DC Atty Gen referendum
« on: November 02, 2010, 10:14:07 pm »
Didn't like the idea of a dipshit like Nickles spending more time behaving like the Mayor's goon squad than enforcing the law. Although I'm the best amateur lawyer in the District, I had to think twice about that vote the other day.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 10:17:43 pm by Thousand Made-Up Loves »

Thousand Made-Up Loves

Re: So I voted for the elected DC Atty Gen referendum
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 10:34:14 pm »
79% FOR so far. Didn't really have a clue what the numbers would turn out to be.

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 07:05:11 am »
Who the fuck cares?  America got teabagged!
_\|/_

Christine Moritz

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 02:56:13 pm »
This one took me by surprise when I did early voting last week.  I think I voted "no," but wondered afterward if I should have voted "yes" or left it blank.

I wasn't sure what the practice was in the non-disenfranchised states, but I see from Wikipedia that at least in my home state of North Carolina, the Attorney General is elected by the people.

On the one hand, putting the AGship up for election means that you might get someone who's good at politicking but not so good at doing the actual job.  On the other hand, if the AG is appointed by the mayor, then the quality of the AG will likely vary along with the quality of the mayor's judgment.

I think I should've voted "yes," but I don't buy the argument on the pro-"yes" signs saying something like, "One step closer to statehood!"  The core of proper statehood is congressional representation, something the Republicans will do their best to block for D.C. for the foreseeable future.

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 03:06:44 pm »
On the one hand, putting the AGship up for election means that you might get someone who's good at politicking but not so good at doing the actual job.  On the other hand, if the AG is appointed by the mayor, then the quality of the AG will likely vary along with the quality of the mayor's judgment.

I believe that is the crux of the debate. Nice job summing it up.

rich_WDC

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 03:08:29 pm »
Once the concept begins in a coupla years we'll be subjected to yet ANOTHER set of ads/opposition ads each election season.    There are tooooo many political ads (tv/radio) already.  It's sickening.    Atty General ones will be thrown in.
That's the main reason I voted no.  I also believe that there's no need for a professional politician to be in that office and that most of the time I'd trust a mayor enough (if even just barely) to get someone suitable.   
An elected AG may pursue an agenda just as an appointed may pursue a certain one.

James Ford

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 03:28:44 pm »
Does anybody who claims that political ads are "sickening" really get sick from political ads?

I think the amount of bad music that gets discussed on this board is sickening, but here i am logged in. I don't feel too bad, either.

azaghal1981

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2010, 03:32:43 pm »
Yeah, all that talk of post-YHF Tweedy/Wilco is revolting but it has never made me physically ill.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 03:34:17 pm by azaghal1981 »
احمد

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010, 03:33:06 pm »
Once the concept begins in a coupla years we'll be subjected to yet ANOTHER set of ads/opposition ads each election season.    There are tooooo many political ads (tv/radio) already.  It's sickening.    Atty General ones will be thrown in.
That's the main reason I voted no.  [snip]

Really? The main reason? You based your political decision on the number of ads? Does content count?
😐 🎶

nkotb

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2010, 04:16:22 pm »
Oh come on now...you didn't like A Ghost Is Born? 

Yeah, all that talk of post-YHF Tweedy/Wilco is revolting but it has never made me physically ill.

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2010, 09:58:04 am »
Oh come on now...you didn't like A Ghost Is Born? 

I think Ghost is a great album. It's all been downhill from there, though.

Bags

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2010, 11:22:15 am »
I voted no and am very disappointed that it lost.  AG's who are elected tend to be very political minded and see the position as a stepping stone to higher office (Richard Blumenthal in CT).  Not that a political person can't be a good attorney, but the cases they choose to pursue usually are based on profile and 'buzz,' not what may be best for a city or state.  Last thing I want is an AG that has to run to stay in office, or really has his sights set on something else. 

Certainly I understand the concern that the mayor has too much influence, but I still think that's a better outcome.  If the mayor were to fire an AG for pure politics, it would come back to bite him in the tuckus.

We'll see, I suppose.