Author Topic: Roku?  (Read 2983 times)

Vas Deferens

Roku?
« on: November 22, 2010, 05:04:19 pm »
Anyone have a Roku player? I am considering getting it and canceling cable. Any reviews?
(_|_)

vansmack

Re: Roku?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 05:33:02 pm »
You're asking two questions here, of sorts, so I'll tackle them separately.

How's the Roku?  I had an XDS for about 2 weeks to review back in Sept and enjoyed it, but it had a few shortcomings.

Two things to think about:  how much local content do you have (I have a ton) and how strong is your internet connection?  To get the most out of the non-local content, I would strongly recommend a wired connection, but if you have to go wirelelss, I would go dual band N for the better picture.  Even the 720p content seemed but starved to me.

The hardest part about using it is that you have to have a computer to get the most out of the channels - it's kind of shortcoming in my eyes.  You can't pick new channels from the device.   But after you've picked your channels, this goes away.

The XDS didn't support all of my codecs for local playback, but it supported most of them.  If you were starting fresh with local content, then you could make certain that all local content was created with the proper supported codecs.

The Netflix player is probably the best on the market.  I wish Tivo would take note.  Hulu+ was not available when I had it, but I hear that's great too.

To your second question - cancelling cable for a Roku.  I'm not satisfied with the online selection to completely get rid of cable.  YMMV, but for me, sports is the biggest gap.  I have gotten rid of Premium Movie channels, but there's still a ton of TV that I watch that is not available streaming.  Some folks, in an effort to make up for this, purchased the XDS and bit torrent the gap.  That requires the local playback which is why I say of you go the Roku route, I would get the XDS.   
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 05:36:30 pm by vansmack »
27>34

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 11:43:14 pm »
eff that.  you need one of these.
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 02:22:49 pm »
How do I watch a show purchased on itunes? Can that be done on my Roku, and if not, how do i watch it?

godsshoeshine

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 02:35:33 pm »
sounds like roku and foxsoccer.tv should partner...
o/\o

vansmack

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 01:17:52 am »
How do I watch a show purchased on itunes? Can that be done on my Roku, and if not, how do i watch it?

No, those can only be played via iTunes, iPods or via AppleTV.  No third party player can play video content purchased from Apple.
27>34

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 02:35:06 pm »
Well...since it was on sale for $67 i just picked up the Roku XD from Amazon on a whim...

I've got music streaming all over the place at home but this will be my first foray into streaming video to the big screen. 

eltee

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 08:17:35 pm »
I wanted one (and friends recommended the HD version), but decided it may not be for me. Doesn't it just stream Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Video On Demand? Or does it put everything that you stream from online to your TV? If only does the former, I'm going to come up w/ my own method as there is not as much available or when I want it, from those websites.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2010, 02:56:00 am »
YMMV, but for me, sports is the biggest gap. 

i'm very impressed with the ESPN app on xbox, first step in the right direction...
(o|o)

TFlyAmy

• Home
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2010, 03:56:38 pm »
I love our Roku! We did cancel cable. And it's true, it's almost impossible to watch sports in the house. This is the best part. (!!!)

We subscribed to Hulu Plus and already had Netflix. The box was cheap and the options on Hulu are enough for us! Haven't tried the Amazon Video option yet.

-Amy

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2010, 06:50:53 pm »
I love our Roku! We did cancel cable. And it's true, it's almost impossible to watch sports in the house. This is the best part. (!!!)

do you make your husband sit to pee?
(o|o)

TFlyAmy

• Home
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2010, 06:52:58 pm »
I don't have a husband. I'm single. I live with two women who are a couple...they are my roommates. One of them watches a lot of sports.

Soooooooo there go all of your assumptions!

:-)

Amy

walkonby

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2010, 06:53:46 pm »
I don't have a husband. I'm single. I live with two women who are a couple...they are my roommates. One of them watches a lot of sports.

:-)

Amy

how . . . exotic.

vansmack

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2010, 06:53:54 pm »

Amy

Not really. 

Fact - you live in Oakland
Easy assumption - you are a single woman (if I also assumed you were straight, not as easy an assumption in the Bay Area).

Fact - you live in a house where there are no sports watched
Easy Assumption - you live in a house full of women

Fact - you live in a house full of women
Easy assumption - they're all hooking up (not so easy assumption - it's just the other two who are a couple)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 07:15:54 pm by vansmack »
27>34

TFlyAmy

• Home
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2010, 07:20:41 pm »
I wasn't talking about you. I was talking about the pee comment assumptions.

There are no sports watched NOW. Before we got the Roku, there were many sports watched.

I am straight, not that that matters.

Now you all know too much.

Hey look a kitty!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uDuls5TyNE

-Amy