Author Topic: The Germs  (Read 2577 times)

bearman🐻

The Germs
« on: August 07, 2006, 10:01:00 am »
So did anyone else go to see the Germs? I'm surprised nobody else has commented on it yet.

Vas Deferens

Re: The Germs
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2006, 10:10:00 am »
Originally posted by bearman:
  So did anyone else go to see the Germs? I'm surprised nobody else has commented on it yet.
I guess nobody went...it's not really the Germs without the original singer...
(_|_)

bearman🐻

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 10:17:00 am »
Were you there? I don't think that's a fair statement if you weren't. How do you know?

So by that theory, any time a band's lineup changes then it's not really worth investing any time in the other people that are still in the band. Hmmmm.

Look, I can understand the point that someone like Darby was a lyrical genius. But come ON folks. He was always on something when he played. Well or badly he was a fuck-up who made his choice. The rest of the band are entitled to close the book on their own terms, with a singer who really was pretty good. It ended up being one of the best concert experiences I've ever had.

But then again, if people are going to be negative when walking through the door, they really shouldn't be there.

TheREALHunter

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2006, 10:22:00 am »
I went, it was pretty entertaining though I'm not sure what made that guy such a dead ringer for Darby Crash as to me he didn't really resemble him visually or vocally.  The one odd moment of the show (which I still can't figure out was staged or not) was when some guy got on stage and begged/demanded that Pat Smear play a couple songs using his guitar that he had brought with him onstage.  Pat acquiesced and then after the second song of playing it he proceeded to smash the living shit out of it and handed the pieces to the crowd.  Since I didn't see the guy again who originally handed Pat the guitar I don't know if he was pissed or if that's ultimately what he wanted.  But it made for a funny diversion.  Bottom line it was worth $15 given it was 3/4 of the original band and they probably played every song in their relatively small catalog.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2006, 10:24:00 am »
Bearman, I did not see the show. I stayed home.
 I won't go to shows if I have low expectations or have a negative feeling about the band  :)
(_|_)

bearman🐻

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2006, 10:45:00 am »
The guitar smashing incident was pretty good (I got the neck, which Don Bolles signed "Kurt Crash" for me). I don't know if anyone else saw the fight after the show where some dude got popped in the face, and then the guy smashed a glass against his face. There was blood everywhere...punk rock. Excellent!

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2006, 10:58:00 am »
I was there and thought it was great.  Shane's in a no-win situation, really.  If he goes up there and does his own thing people will complain, saying he doesn't look, sound or act like Darby.  If he goes up there and does a dead-on Darby imitation - complete with the same look, style and mannerisms - people will accuse him of just being an actor pretending to be someone he's not - and you, sir, are no Darby Crash.

I thought he fell somewhere in between - paying respect to Darby's style, while not quite doing a full-blown Darby imitation.  I thought he handled it very well.  It worked for me.

The band was solid and looked like they were having a great time.  Lorna never stopped smiling.  Most active crowd I've ever seen at The Black Cat.  Too bad there weren't more folks there to see the show.  It was maybe 1/2-full.

The guitar thing was weird.  I'm still not sure if it was real or not.  Fun though.

I saw you there, bearman.  Front and center the whole time.  Impressive   :)    I hung out for a few minutes after, but I could tell you were planning on hanging out up there for a while, so I took off.

TheREALHunter

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2006, 10:59:00 am »
  The guitar smashing incident was pretty good (I got the neck, which Don Bolles signed "Kurt Crash" for me). I don't know if anyone else saw the fight after the show where some dude got popped in the face, and then the guy smashed a glass against his face. There was blood everywhere...punk rock. Excellent!
I missed that one as I walked out right as the show was ending, it certainly wasn't provoked by lack of elbow room or heat.  Was kinda curious if anyone ever fucked with the guy who was around 6'4"-6'5" tall and wearing a pink dress along with all the fashion accessories.

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2006, 11:10:00 am »
Originally posted by TheREALHunter:
    Was kinda curious if anyone ever fucked with the guy who was around 6'4"-6'5" tall and wearing a pink dress along with all the fashion accessories.
I saw him talking to a few people, but it all looked cool.  By the end of the night he was hanging at the back of the pit, playing a little air guitar and singing along.   He was at The Go-Go's show too.  Maybe he's an old LA scenester.

TheREALHunter

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2006, 11:13:00 am »
Originally posted by Bombay Chutney:

Originally posted by TheREALHunter:
    Was kinda curious if anyone ever fucked with the guy who was around 6'4"-6'5" tall and wearing a pink dress along with all the fashion accessories.
I saw him talking to a few people, but it all looked cool.  By the end of the night he was hanging at the back of the pit, playing a little air guitar and singing along.   He was at The Go-Go's show too.  Maybe he's an old LA scenester. [/b]
The pink chucks were a nice touch  :p

bearman🐻

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2006, 11:19:00 am »
The best parts for me were when Shane West pointed out my Screamers shirt and when I got to play Pat Smear's guitar with my teeth. That is by far one of the coolest things I've ever done at a show. I'm sure the guitar smashing thing was probably staged, but even if it was, I have to say that guitar needed to be smashed. The sound difference between that thing and Pat's was astounding. I was so glad when he went back to playing his.

TheREALHunter

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2006, 12:09:00 pm »
  The best parts for me were when Shane West pointed out my Screamers shirt and when I got to play Pat Smear's guitar with my teeth. That is by far one of the coolest things I've ever done at a show. I'm sure the guitar smashing thing was probably staged, but even if it was, I have to say that guitar needed to be smashed. The sound difference between that thing and Pat's was astounding. I was so glad when he went back to playing his.
Well seeing as how you were in front, was the guy who handed him the guitar off to the side on the back end of the stage?  I couldn't see any of that from my vantage point so I wasn't sure if there was any interaction post-smashing.

set1914

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2006, 12:25:00 pm »
Yes the guy in the pink dress and Chucks was interesting, but my favorite was the guy by the mixing board that was jumping up and down, barking like a dog and shouting the lead singer sucks, while The Germs played a song. As soon as the song was over he would clap and yell out how great the song was.

The Germs sounded real good and put on a great show, I was very happy that went to see.

TheREALHunter

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2006, 12:31:00 pm »
Originally posted by set1914:
  Yes the guy in the pink dress and Chucks was interesting, but my favorite was the guy by the mixing board that was jumping up and down, barking like a dog and shouting the lead singer sucks, while The Germs played a song. As soon as the song was over he would clap and yell out how great the song was.

The Germs sounded real good and put on a great show, I was very happy that went to see.
That shit was annoying, for some reason I thought that was going on down in front and not behind me, I guess I AM slowly going deaf...

bearman🐻

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2006, 02:30:00 pm »
The dude with the guitar was at the side of the stage...he just came running up at a certain point, but I saw him hanging out before the beginning of the show. That thing really sounded like arse. I was more than happy when Pat decided to smash the thing. Lorna said that they would be coming back to DC, and I hope they do...I'd go see them again in a second.