Author Topic: UMD sh!tcans Fridge  (Read 2351 times)

Thousand Made-Up Loves

UMD sh!tcans Fridge
« on: December 19, 2010, 01:31:46 am »
Time to get a sports thread up in this bitch. The University of Maryland just told the ACC Coach of the Year to hit the fucking road.

After previously announcing Ralph Friedgen would be back for a final season as Maryland football coach in 11, UMD's first-year AD Kevin Anderson told him to take the $2 million buy-out and get lost. Fridge is a UMD grad and has been the team's coach for the last decade, including an ACC title and Orange Bowl appearance in 01 or 02.

Note: I am not a Maryland grad nor do I have any particular affinity for the school, but as a proud Washingtonian, I want the Burps to do well as they are the Corridor's only 1-A team. Fridge probably should have been axed last season, but you cannot shitcan the league's Coach of the Year. Mike Leach be damned.

Today was an incredible DC sports day. Gil finally getting traded and MD flip-flopping and shitcanning Fridge.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 12:24:52 pm by kosmo vinyl »

runwhiteyrun06

Re: UMD shitcans Fridge
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 01:47:38 am »
I think it was a great decision. As a recent alum and a fan, I'm happy the new athletic director is not settling for mediocrity. Even though the fridge won ACC coach of the year, he has not proven over his tenure that he is a high-end head coach. His most successful year was his first, and that was a team he inherited and had no part in recruiting.

I think what will be most interesting is to see what happens with Gary Williams over the next year or two. While the Terps did tie for the ACC championship last year, they are a far cry from their early 2000 teams.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 11:14:12 am »
not sure what the expectations are at md for football. kind of a puzzling decision

i'd been telling people that some idiot gm would take gil's contract, but no one believed me. yay for star-run teams
o/\o

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 12:51:50 pm »
not sure what the expectations are at md for football. kind of a puzzling decision
i'd been telling people that some idiot gm would take gil's contract, but no one believed me. yay for star-run teams

Well you can't blame 'em. Gil's contract was arguably one of the three worst contracts in basketball history. I'm amazed Ted and Ernie were able to unload him.

Mobius

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 02:24:39 pm »

Well you can't blame 'em. Gil's contract was arguably one of the three worst contracts in basketball history. I'm amazed Ted and Ernie were able to unload him.

Well, they did have to take on another one of the worst contracts ever with Rashard Lewis.  He's got 2 1/2 years left at about $20 million a year for a one-dimensional 'scorer' currently averging 12 points a game on 42% shooting. 
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 02:48:17 pm by Mobius »

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 04:45:27 pm »

Expectation: attract money.
😐 🎶

godsshoeshine

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 09:16:52 am »

Well, they did have to take on another one of the worst contracts ever with Rashard Lewis.  He's got 2 1/2 years left at about $20 million a year for a one-dimensional 'scorer' currently averging 12 points a game on 42% shooting. 

lewis hads a terrible contract, but they still save a year and $20m with the deal. and gil is shooting under 40%. and has baggage to put it mildly
o/\o

James Ford

Re: UMD sh!tcans Fridge
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 09:59:49 am »
I'd love to see him do some Slim Fast commercials now that he'll have the time.

shemptiness

Re: UMD sh!tcans Fridge
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010, 11:12:29 am »
I'd love to see him do some Slim Fast commercials now that he'll have the time.

He's a Medifast guy.