Author Topic: Talk Show Host is the greatest B-Side ever recorded  (Read 6000 times)

Thousand Made-Up Loves

Re: Talk Show Host is the greatest B-Side ever recorded
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2011, 02:43:05 pm »

In, Thousand Made-Up Lovers' defense, he's probably younger.  He's probably never bought a physical single in his life.

And while in 2011, physical singles (whatever format) are rare or unknown, the term "B-side" persists even though you'd be hard pressed to go into a retail store right now and show somebody what a B-side is.

For younger people, 'B-side' probably represents "song that's not on the album" but even THAT concept is fading as we speak.  The concept of "album."  If someone under the age of 20 has Radiohead on their ipod, most probably don't have the full collection of songs that make up ANY Radiohead "album" as the band intended.   They just have the popular songs.  You know, the ones with verses and choruses.  Not that later sub-Pink Floyd crap.

Brian

Brian, yes. I have bought a few singles. I bought the Jeremy single for Footsteps and Yellow Ledbetter, Dissident single for the live Atlanta 4-3-94 tracks on it and I also bought the B&S 3..6..9 Seconds of Light EP. But that's it. Needless to say, I bought the Jeremy single nine years ago and the B&S single in 2006. Obviously, the EP is not "b-sides".

I admit, I don't subscribe to the actual definition of a b-side as you older peeps do. As you said, I consider b-sides as "not on the actual album."
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 02:45:35 pm by Thousand Made-Up Loves »

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2011, 02:43:44 pm »
incorrect.  they went in to the studio, recorded a bunch of music over several months, and then picked the tracks that made up Kid A - with the full intention of releasing the rest as a second album, which became Amnesiac.  Amnesiac is not a collection of Kid A rejects, they were meant for full release - just not right away.  the band considered releasing a double album but decided that would be too much for one sitting, and they felt the songs fell into two thematic groups.

I think that is a fair explanation. Thanks, and I stand corrected.

blipvurt

« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2011, 02:58:16 pm »
I find the term "non-album track" useful when discussing a song that is neither an A-side, B-side, or on a proper full-length album.

Mobius

« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2011, 03:07:34 pm »
Aneurysm on the Smells Like Teen Spirit CD single was an awesome non-album track.

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2011, 03:31:47 pm »
Aneurysm on the Smells Like Teen Spirit CD single was an awesome non-album track.

Hell yeah, that's one of their best. Dive was great, too.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 03:36:01 pm by Thousand Made-Up Loves »

Mobius

« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2011, 03:56:02 pm »

Absolutely . . .and a true B-side on the Sliver slngle . . .

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2011, 04:55:10 pm »

So "Sappy (Verse Chorus Verse)" and "I Hate Myself And Want to Die" aren't great B-sides (standard definition).  They're great non-album tracks.

Brian

walkonby

« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2011, 04:58:28 pm »

So "Sappy (Verse Chorus Verse)" and "I Hate Myself And Want to Die" aren't great B-sides (standard definition).  They're great non-album tracks.

Brian

you forgot to make fun of pink floyd.

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2011, 05:30:46 pm »

Brian

you forgot to make fun of pink floyd.

Nature's already taken care of that.

Brian