Author Topic: the winter classic  (Read 4313 times)

thatguy

• Global Moderator
the winter classic
« on: January 02, 2011, 01:35:52 pm »
the winter classic.  wow.

that was the most amazing sporting event i have ever seen.  the intensity of a pro hockey game between heated rivals exploded into the size of a pro football game.  there can't be anything else like it.  i've seen stanley cup hockey and playoff football, and this was exponentially better than both.  i would go to another one no matter who is playing.  if you are a hockey fan, you should too.

win or lose, that would have been an experience not to be missed.  luckily for me, my boys in red (well, white yesterday) brought home the W.  i know it's just one game and it doesn't mean anything, but damn was that fun. 

i was pleasantly surprised at the warm welcome we received from pens fans.  we were only there for a few hours before the game, but people were totally cool for the most part.  they asked us where we were from, chatted with us about the game, took pictures with me, and wished us good luck.  i don't enjoy all of the negative parts of sports.  i like who i like and will cheer for them.  i don't boo or put down the other team, and i don't have any ill will against them or their fans.  there were a couple of people that had been drinking a bit too much that might have said some less than friendly things, but the experience was overwhelmingly positive.  i even got interviewed by the pens web site about it.

i am lucky enough to have made some connections through my job that allow me to do and see some incredible things.  this may have topped them all.

Thousand Made-Up Loves

Re: the winter classic
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 09:50:17 pm »
Glad you had a good time. You're lucky it didn't rain any harder. It will be interesting to see if NBC goes exclusively with night time games from here on out because the atmosphere looked a lot better, more people were juiced up and there was only one football game to compete with instead of four or five. But I think they want that window of opportunity to delay the game in case of weather.

I need to get a Caps scarf myself. Those look bad ass. And RACK the Caps for earning the W in bad conditions.

Sir HC

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 11:21:45 pm »
\m/  \m/

Chulahoma

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 12:19:51 am »
amazing game.  i was very pleased that the caps were able to pull it off.  was anyone else a little bitter at the camera angles they showed on tv? the blimp view was way too much and used at the worst times.  other than that, playing outdoors and under the lights in front of a huge crowd has to be an incredible feeling for the players.  here's to hoping the caps keep up the hard work.

..looking forward to the 24/7 on HBO this wednesday.

thatguy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 12:55:41 am »
Glad you had a good time. You're lucky it didn't rain any harder. It will be interesting to see if NBC goes exclusively with night time games from here on out because the atmosphere looked a lot better, more people were juiced up and there was only one football game to compete with instead of four or five. But I think they want that window of opportunity to delay the game in case of weather.

I need to get a Caps scarf myself. Those look bad ass. And RACK the Caps for earning the W in bad conditions.

it started to rain pretty hard during the 3rd period.  at that point, none of the folks in my section would have cared if they called the game.  the caps were up, and after 2 periods it would have been counted as a whole game.  i'm glad they were able to play it out, though.  i didn't even care that it was raining.  i was having too much fun to notice.

that is actually a caps towel.  i figured that since pittsburgh was all about towels, i should bring one too.

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 01:41:04 am »
Josh that was a great game.  Not only for the Caps, but for all of hockey.  I actually had no problem with the TV, except the blimp shots that really didn't work (but at least they didn't use a glow puck).  It was very cool that you got to go to the game and even more so that you took your sister (then again since she drove I guess she took you).  Anyway, this whole episode really is a prime example of what goes around comes around my friend.  No one I know deserved to be at this game any more than you did.  Oh yeah, go Flyers! :)
FUKIT

K8teebug

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 10:10:11 am »
Glad you had fun.  It was an exciting game to watch on tv.  Always look forward to this game each year, and it was even better this year with a Caps win!

K8teebug

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 10:12:06 am »
p.s.  I had the same experience going to Heinz Field as a Ravens fan.  I don't know why everyone harbors such animosity towards Steelers fans.  I thought they were really nice and totally cool with a friendly rivalry.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 10:38:19 am »
glad you had a good time. i had to make the decision months ago and i couldnt pull the trigger on spending that much on an event reliant on western pa weather

o/\o

vansmack

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 03:09:24 pm »
It will be interesting to see if NBC goes exclusively with night time games from here on out

I think NBC benefited greatly from going up against a crappy bowl game with the time change.  Had the Fiesta Bowl been as good as the Rose Bowl, they wouldn't have set any records with the night game. 

I liked the night atmosphere as much as the next guy, but let's not get ahead of ourselves here.
27>34

godsshoeshine

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 03:25:10 pm »
no one cares about new years day bowl games anymore
o/\o

vansmack

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 04:57:08 pm »
no one cares about new years day bowl games anymore

Coming from hockey fans, that's hilarious.

Rose Bowl: 11.7 rating
Fiesta Bowl: 6.7 rating
Winter Classic: 2.3 rating
27>34

godsshoeshine

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2011, 05:17:09 pm »
thats....coming from a college football fan too

the nhl might care if the fanbases overlap, but a 1 oclock game would have this year, not the night game. and it did last year too. there was 3 games at 1 and just one at night. do what's best for the game and dont worry about tcu taking viewers away

i mean seriously, only one bowl game means anything and they'll play that one in february next year at this rate
o/\o

runwhiteyrun06

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2011, 05:30:04 pm »
p.s.  I had the same experience going to Heinz Field as a Ravens fan.  I don't know why everyone harbors such animosity towards Steelers fans.  I thought they were really nice and totally cool with a friendly rivalry.

I've encountered some pretty belligerent Steelers fans at Ravens home games.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2011, 05:42:58 pm »
didnt the ravens fans throw stuff at thatguy a few years back? every fan base has assholes
o/\o