Author Topic: New Radiohead album this week  (Read 58507 times)

betao

Re: New Radiohead album this week
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2011, 03:02:41 pm »
The Bristow show in 08 was the most miserable experience before and after the show. But the show itself - especially the setlist - was fucking on point.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2011, 03:13:59 pm »
unlike 98% of people at the show, our bristow'08 was pretty manageable.  we left DC early and got there just as the deluge started, then partied 2+ hours in the car (visibility through the downpour: 4 to 5 feet).  once inside we got better seats b/c a bunch of people didn't show up.  we left during the last song, booked it to the car and were among the first people out the door.  had zero probs exiting the parking lot and getting on to I-66. the real savior was that there were 5 of us in the car: they gave us primo car-pool parking about 150 feet from the gate.  yes, we were lucky too - felt like we were consistently a half-step ahead of disaster.
<sig>

fatskippy

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2011, 03:21:47 pm »
Had the exact same experience as sweetcell, left early, partied in the car, free VIP parking for carpooling, etc etc.  Luckily I was in the pit, had some friends in the lawn and they left early as they couldn't take it anymore.  I wonder what % of people in the lawn made it all the way through the show.

vansmack

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2011, 03:29:17 pm »
I haven't seen Radiohead since they played the 930 club in 98, nor do I plan to.  Thanks again Seth!
27>34

wml7

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2011, 03:37:50 pm »
Bonnaroo lineup should be released tomorrow.  Hopefully there is a leak tonight but could Radiohead be on the lineup?  ;D

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2011, 03:42:36 pm »
if i hear one more person say, "my iron lung" is my favourite . . . i'll sick my cats upon them.

I'm not being ironic or contrarian but...I LOVE "Pop Is Dead."  I know I've said this before on this message board but it's like if Guided By Voices grew up in Oxford instead of Ohio.

Saw them at Merriweather.  Loved it.  Agreed that's where they should play!

I was there and they did their big MTV hit.  "Creep."

Brian

ggw

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2011, 03:46:31 pm »
The Radiohead-Biblical Rainstorm thing is totally played out.  I hope next time Radiohead comes to DC there is something really cool - like locust.  Or pestilence.

wml7

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2011, 04:19:04 pm »
Anyone preorder the album yet or are we all going to be like Walky and download it when it's available?  ;D

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2011, 05:24:21 pm »

I think you could scam a lot of hipsters and make millions doing it.

In a couple years, make some fake website and say Radiohead is going to be releasing their new album in 48 hours.  But if you pre-order RIGHT NOW you'll get a super-exclusive, limited edition boxed set with weird details ("The CD is made out of WOOD!").  Slap some quasi-social-alienation graphic design on it and charge $60.  You'd be a multi-millionaire before anyone found out.

Because this morning, thousands of people pre-ordered a "newspaper album" without ONCE questioning what the hell that is.

Brian

walkonby

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2011, 08:50:57 pm »
brian is this online generation's . . . stewie.  i did enjoy "the cd made of wood" part. 

nkotb

« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2011, 10:52:13 pm »
This is the part I loved, and you're 100% on target.  What does that mean exactly?  Maybe it was released after the initial press on this, but it certainly didn't stop getting everything all a tizzy, did it?

Because this morning, thousands of people pre-ordered a "newspaper album" without ONCE questioning what the hell that is.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2011, 11:48:06 pm »
This is the part I loved, and you're 100% on target.  What does that mean exactly?  Maybe it was released after the initial press on this, but it certainly didn't stop getting everything all a tizzy, did it?

they added a stupid descriptor which will probably make sense once you see the damn thing.  who the fuck cares?  do you think people bought it because it's a "newspaper album", or because it's a radiohead album?  duh.  let's have the momma's toasters release a "newspaper album" and see how much buzz it generates. 

or, alternately, are people supposed to stay away because it's a "newspaper album"?  "i have no idea what it sounds like, but heard the new radiohead album is a "newspaper" album so imma gonna sit this one out."

and is it really such a mystery what "newspaper" refers to?  lemme help you: "Many large sheets of artwork..." - some of the paper you get along with the vinyl is big.  like a newspaper.

you haters are really grasping.  haters gonna hate, fine, but could you at least make it something vaguely meaningful?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 02:10:20 am by sweetcell »
<sig>

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2011, 09:46:49 am »
by the way, hipsters with no sense of history how about Jethro Tull's "Thick as a brick" as the first "newspaper" album....  Radiohead have become their own worst nightmare a MAJOR LABEL.
T.Rex

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2011, 10:11:41 am »
Radiohead = Irrelevanthead

The new album should be titled, "yeah, we're still around"

nkotb

« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2011, 10:28:33 am »
So a "newspaper album" just means the cover is a newspaper?

From Wikipedia's article on "Thick as a Brick":

The original lp-cover, which opens up as a 12-page newspaper. The original LP cover was a spoof of a twelve by sixteen inch (305 by 406 mm) multipage local newspaper with stories, competitions, adverts, etc., lampooning the parochial and amateurish local journalism that still exists in many places today, as well as certain classical album covers, and even contains a review of the album itself. The "newspaper" also includes the entire lyrics to the song, and references to the lyrics are scattered throughout the articles. The spoof newspaper had to be heavily abridged for conventional CD covers, but the 25th Anniversary Special Edition CD includes a partial facsimile; some content is missing, such as the original connect the dots activity, which featured a cartoon duck salivating at the sight of a semi-nude woman, and part of the "front page;" however, the picture was restored to its full size including the entire image of "Gerald's chum", Julia.

by the way, hipsters with no sense of history how about Jethro Tull's "Thick as a brick" as the first "newspaper" album....  Radiohead have become their own worst nightmare a MAJOR LABEL.