Author Topic: Merge records pricing  (Read 3303 times)

bellenseb

Merge records pricing
« on: February 16, 2011, 08:50:05 pm »
So I go to buy the new East River Pipe and compare the pricing on Merge's site and Amazon:

Mp3 download: Amazon $7.99/Merge $8.99
CD: Amazon: $17.49 (plus shipping)/Merge $13.98 (free shipping)

I've got no interest in the CD, just the download, but how strange is this pricing structure? If they're cutting out the middle man, why can't they at least give me as good a deal on the download as Amazon, when they're giving me a MUCH better deal (practically 75% better factoring in shipping!) on the CD?

vansmack

Re: Merge records pricing
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 09:15:10 pm »
Either Amazon is OK with smaller margins or it could be an infrastructure issue for merge.

Amazon is much better equipped to deliver media over servers to where Merge is probably just building up to this technology to handle mass quantities and e-commerce in this fashion.
27>34

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 09:54:09 pm »
on top of that, most big distributors - like amazon and itunes - really squeeze smaller labels and beat down their prices (think: walmart).  $8.99 is most likely what merge would like to sell the MP3s for, but $7.99 is amazon's price - so if merge wants to be on amazon, they need to lower their royalties until $7.99 is met (which includes amazon's profit).
<sig>

Chip Chanko

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 11:49:42 am »
Amazon is mostly concerned with undercutting itunes and takes a loss.

Chip Chanko

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 12:26:03 pm »
Not everyone in the industry is as enthusiastic. "Been working for nine months on something that will sell for 3.99 on Amazon MP3," the independent rock group Fleet Foxes wrote last month on its Twitter feed. "That's about the price of a whoopie cushion."

http://goo.gl/ND2iV

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 12:44:13 pm »
the comparison between FF's latest album and a woopie cushion is apt, so the price equivalency is understandable.
<sig>

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 12:52:56 pm »
the comparison between FF's latest album and a woopie cushion is apt, so the price equivalency is understandable.

Oh, shit. LOL. The slow, high pitched ones.

walkonby

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 01:03:29 pm »

whether an individual likes it . . . should never have bearing on the value of the art.  i'm sure there are people out there who think everything radiohead and daft punk have ever done should be available on free fisher price plastic records for toddlers, through mcdonalds giveaways in happy meals.

azaghal1981

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 01:04:25 pm »
Woopy cushions have so much more sonic range!
احمد

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 01:56:57 pm »
fyi, i have nothing against FF... their last album is just fine, i have tickets to see them at DAR.

it was a quick easy auto-snark, i.e. this board's currency.
<sig>

runwhiteyrun06

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2011, 02:07:43 pm »
Not everyone in the industry is as enthusiastic. "Been working for nine months on something that will sell for 3.99 on Amazon MP3," the independent rock group Fleet Foxes wrote last month on its Twitter feed. "That's about the price of a whoopie cushion."

http://goo.gl/ND2iV

I'm surprised they said that. The bands don't lose money on that, only Amazon does. Plus it gains the band much more notice. Amazon mp3 is basically the reason arcade fire and the decemberists got number one records.

bellenseb

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2011, 03:50:43 pm »
The thing is, assuming you're willing to pay for music in the first place, it's odd to see Merge basically give no incentive to purchase mp3s from them. I realize I should buy from Merge, for more money, out of the goodness of my heart, I guess? But failing that, why not say "pay a buck more than Amazon, but we'll throw in this exclusive remix"?

Vas Deferens

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2011, 04:03:29 pm »
I guess it cost Merge more money when consumers buy mp3s from them?

I use 7digital sometimes (www.7digital.com). Sadly, the new East River Pipe is $9.90 there. (New PJ Harvey and Mogwai albums are $5 each, though!)
(_|_)

Chip Chanko

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2011, 04:55:40 pm »
Amazon's mp3 prices go up and down for the same release so it might be cheaper than merge now then $1 more later on. I assume labels selling direct don't want to get into this kind of pricing and just have a flat rate.

I like the matador store...you can buy FLACs.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2011, 05:10:51 pm »
fyi, i have nothing against FF... their last album is just fine, i have tickets to see them at DAR.

it was a quick easy auto-snark, i.e. this board's currency.
dont ruin a righteous zinger with the truth
o/\o