Author Topic: Rhett and Celeste at the Food Lion  (Read 3216 times)

HoyaSaxa03

Rhett and Celeste at the Food Lion
« on: February 23, 2011, 07:08:14 pm »
http://www.theonion.com/articles/honey-im-not-going-to-stand-here-and-debate-the-me,18952/

Honey, I'm Not Going To Stand Here And Debate The Merits Of The First Two B-52's LPs In Front Of The Whole Supermarket

By William T. Mayhew

Honey. Please. Just drop it. I'm serious, I'm not doing this with you now. We're in the bread aisle of the Food Lion, for God's sake. I'm not going to get sucked in to another one of these stupid arguments again. Not now, okay? Not here. No, I'm telling you, I don't want to hear anything about the gimmickry of retro '60s hairdos or guy-girl fractured-pop ensembles, certainly not from someone who worships the Cramps, understand? So just stop.

People are staring. Could you please lower your voice? Honey, if you think I'm going to stand here in the middle of this supermarket and debate you on the validity of the first two B-52's LPs, then you are sorely mistaken.

"Why not?" I'll tell you why not: Because everybody with even half a sense of the post-punk/new-wave aesthetic can tell you that there is NO debating this subject, that's why. Hello? "Rock Lobster"? "Planet Claire has pink air"? Any of this ringing a bell, Mrs. Self-Declared Expert-On-All-Things-From-The-Late-'70s/Early-'80s-Athens, GA-Underground-Scene? I suppose they were playing CBGB's in 1978 because they WEREN'T cool? Unbelievable. Where's the goddamn coupon for the applesauce? Well, you had it last?

What? Do not bring Ricky Wilson into this. His alternate guitar tunings were more than just a way to cover for the group's lack of a bassist; they were absolutely integral to the driving, rhythmic sound of the band, and you know it. Derivative of Robert Fripp, my ass. The guy played session dates for Tom Verlaine, for crying out loud. Look, I know what you're doing, and it's not going to work. So drop it. What's the next thing on the list? Cheerios. Just help me find the Cheerios so we can?

What do you mean, "Fuck the Cheerios?" Honey, listen to me, the sooner we get out of here, the sooner you'll stop embarrassing yourself in front of a store full of strangers with your inappropriate behavior and ill-informed opinions on novelty-rock revivalism. Okay? So go find the Cheerios.

"LOVE Shack"? Why would you even bring UP "Love Shack"? That was an MTV hit in, like, 1989. That is completely outside the range of this discussion, honey. Unless we're talking about a recording where the name Chris Blackwell or Rhett Davies is listed after the word "producer," then it's totally irrelevant. And that includes 1982's David Byrne?produced Mesopotamia EP. Why can't you get that through your head? Maybe if you weren't so goddamn stubborn all the time?

Oh, I'm the stubborn one? Great. I'm the stubborn one. Ha, that's a laugh. Uh, excuse me, hypocrite-check in aisle four? Who was the one who kept insisting last Thanksgiving that that stupid "You're not the only flame" song?which was a duet with DARYL HALL for chrissakes?was a legit Elvis Costello single? Huh? Who was that again? You ruined Thanksgiving for everyone.

For the last time, we are dropping this NOW. That security guard is looking at us. No, sir, we're fine. No need to call the manager. My wife here is just a little stressed out. And doesn't know anything about call-and- response-based American underground bands. Thank you. Carry on.

Okay, honey, we need milk?

WHAT? What did you just say? You're actually claiming Fred Schneider can't carry a tune? Oh, now you've just lost it. I hope they sell antipsychotics in this store, because you have gone right out of your mind. Could DARBY CRASH carry a tune? Could Mark E. fucking SMITH? So the man's a shouter. What does that have to do with legitimacy as a rock and roll vocalist? Yes, the B-52's are a rock band, dear?yes, it's "dance" music, but I would hardly?

I KNOW they combined surf-rock retro with early pop kitsch! I KNOW that! Why would you even feel the need to tell me that? That was the whole idea, you?

Can I finish my sentence? Are you gonna let me FINISH my fucking SENTENCE? Are you gonna?oh. Okay then. No, no, go ahead. I'll just stand here next to the English muffins and listen to you do all the B-52's talking, then. You always do anyway, so go ahead. I'm listening.

Great. Your old standby about how I like Warren Zevon. We're back to his self-titled second LP again, are we? Yes, dear, I realize the Eagles did the backing vocals on "The French Inhaler." That doesn't mean it's not a classic record! JESUS! NO, you are not roping me into DEFENDING the Eagles, okay? You've pulled that one too many times, sweetie?TOO many TIMES!

Look, final word, and then I'm pushing this cart over to the produce section, with or without you. The first two B-52's LPs?yes, BOTH of them?are CLASSIC FUCKING RECORDS and EVERYBODY who has ANY taste in music AT ALL knows that and this is NOT something I am going to fucking DEBATE with you or anyone else in this store. END of discussion. END OF DISCUSSION, Helen! Helen? HELEN?

FINE! YOU do the goddamn shopping, then! I'm going to the car. And YES, I will be CRANKING "Quiche Lorraine" on the stereo when you get there and I'd better not hear ONE WORD from you about it or I swear to God you are never borrowing any of my remastered Robert Wyatt reissues EVER again! GODDAMMIT! EVERY FUCKING TIME WITH YOU, woman! Congratulations, Helen! YOU WIN! Are you happy now? YOU WIN AGAIN!

(o|o)

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
Re: Rhett and Celeste at the Food Lion
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 07:22:31 pm »
That's definitely a much more entertaining Food Lion than mine.

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 10:18:45 am »
wait.....people shop at Food Lion?

BTW - do they still have the 'Social Safeway' down in Georgetown on Wisconsin, just across from the murder Starbucks?

godsshoeshine

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 04:58:13 pm »
i thought they were called "bloom" now
o/\o

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 06:21:48 pm »
i thought they were called "bloom" now

bloom and food lion are owned by the same parent company (along with hannaford bros, sweetbay, and a few others i can't remember).  a short while ago they started sharing resources and stocks, so you might find a bloom-branded item at FL or a FL delivery truck pulling up to a bloom.  i'm pretty sure the two brands are still being maintained and aren't being merged.  why do i know this?  i just spent ~6 months working with the above-mentioned parent company.  yes, i know you care  :-*
<sig>

godsshoeshine

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 08:32:22 pm »
haha

the food lion at the end of my street switched to bloom a few years back. now it sucks less, but still sucks
o/\o

Jaguar

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 01:48:38 am »
Have never seen a Bloom but yeah, Food Lion is definitely not one of my favorite grocery stores. Currently, I'm sort of living between 2 different places now. The one in my old neighborhood is one of the very worst grocery stores that I've ever seen in my life! However, there are two in my newer location and they are much, much better than the old neighborhood one. Prices are usually much better too than at the other very few choices I now have.

My very favorites are Trader Joe's and Wegmens. In fact, when I'm in Baltimore, I always do most of my grocery shopping at both of those stores and then take it to my other location.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 09:14:49 am »
i go to wegmans a couple of times a week. best place

wish we had a trader joe's closer, though
o/\o

James Ford

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 09:58:17 am »
Giant
Whole Foods
Trader Joes

Don't think I've ever been to a Food Lion

What we really need to do is start growing our own gardens. Once cheap oil is gone, food prices are going to skyrocket, and we're all going to be fucked.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2011, 10:52:08 am »
90% of our food, and consequently an equally alarming percentage of our paychecks, end up in Whole Foods' coffers.  we have a blooms which is closer to us but we only go there when we just need a few things or need some non-granola purchases like sugar drinks or cleaning products that actually work.  we hit up a TJ's once ever few months to stock up on wine and some of their frozen offerings.

What we really need to do is start growing our own gardens. Once cheap oil is gone, food prices are going to skyrocket, and we're all going to be fucked.

we just received our spring order of seeds from Burpee yesterday ;D 

maybe we should start a gardening thread?  during the summer, gardening takes up more of my time that exercising or TV.  weekends are pretty much spent tending to the veggies.  happiness is grilled zukes and eggplants that have just been picked, with a salad of equally fresh lettuce, spinach, cukes and tomatoes.  the missus can't wait for fresh veggies, she recently got me to build a grow-light hanging system so we can start seedlings early.  no, it's not that kind of an operation...

p.s. the missus, who works in food supply, informs me there is currently a major shortage of spinach and lettuce in the US food system.  look for prices of these two items to rise over the next few weeks.  tomatoes aren't doing well either.
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2011, 11:07:24 am »
Hey, I'd be all for that thread.

Though at this point I'd be in the learner/newbie category, rather than helpful contributor.

I usually don't budge from my shopping list, so I'm relatively safe in Whole Foods.

The facts that we live within walking distance of Whole Foods and my wife and three year old are home all day is not a good combination. 

slappy

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2011, 01:02:00 pm »
Hey, I'd be all for that thread.

Though at this point I'd be in the learner/newbie category, rather than helpful contributor.

I usually don't budge from my shopping list, so I'm relatively safe in Whole Foods.

The facts that we live within walking distance of Whole Foods and my wife and three year old are home all day is not a good combination. 

Here's a site that might interest you.
http://www.growinghopsyourself.com/
I've got some Nugget and Cascade rhizomes to plant outside. Supposedly they are easy to grow. I've been thinking of homebrewing but even if I don't, they make for some nice greenery.

walkonby

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2011, 02:22:01 pm »
i live in the country.  we go where we can and we like it.  food lion vs. walmart vs. martins.  be lucky you have food.  this could be libya and you could have a (in bad taste) song list about your tragedy.  so there.

Jaguar

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2011, 02:21:41 am »

no, it's not that kind of an operation...

Uh, huh. Sure.

You will probably be happy about this which will help you out. They plan to open one in New Jersey. Can't wait until Maryland finally gets their shit together! Bunch of lame, backwards good old boys!

Bags

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2011, 03:07:01 pm »
Love that onion story, and so perfectly cast with Rhett & Celeste.  I miss the old board days...