Author Topic: Turntable recommendations?  (Read 11484 times)

nkotb

Turntable recommendations?
« on: March 15, 2011, 02:28:54 pm »
I thought there was a thread, but I'm too lazy to find it.

Any recommendations?  I've been taking small baby steps with turntables; I'm only using some shitty portable one now that's on it's last legs. I'd like something that sounds good, but doesn't require a ton of components or $$$.  I'm not audiophile by any means, so hopefully just a standalone unit would do the trick.

Thanks in advance, Brian!

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
Re: Turntable recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 02:41:45 pm »
A budget would be helpful.

nkotb

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 02:44:33 pm »
I guess I'm not 100% sure.  I'm pretty new at buying audio equipment, so I'd say the cheaper the better; again, I'm no audiophile.  But my biggest request/need would be that it was self-contained...not need for other components or stand-alone speakers, etc.

I figured someone on here would know a decent low-cost option, at least point me in the right direction.  Right now, my only "stereo" is my computer and an iPod stereo.

A budget would be helpful.

chaz

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 02:50:45 pm »
I don't understand.  If you want to play your records, you'll need something with an amp to plug it into - an "integrated", which included the amp and the preamp in one unit.  Otherwise a separate amp for power, and a preamp to select source and control volume.   And then you'll need speakers from there. 

I wouldn't bother messing with vinyl and a computer based system.  I just don't see the benefit from an audio standpoint.  Unless you just want to use the turntable to rip your vinyl into mp3's.  Then you'd need a usb turntable.

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 02:53:22 pm »
Don't know what sort of computer speakers you are using but a 'cheap' option you might want to consider is to get a moderate turntable that you can hook up to your computer. You can get okay speakers for your computer system relatively cheap compared to what you'd pay for a traditional system.

You do want to make sure you get something that can be hooked up to a computer so that you can convert your vinyl to some sort of file format easily. Maybe they all do that now; I don't know. Seems to be a given but do make sure you have that option.

nkotb

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 02:57:13 pm »
Sorry Chaz...I'm not making this easy at all.

I have a bunch of vinyl that I'd like to listen to, and right now I'm using this: http://www.insound.com/CR49-Traveler-Turntable-Black-TURNTABLE-Crosley-Turntable/P/INS47806/

It's sort of past the point of working well, but what I liked about it was the small size (speakers being part of the whole package) and the cost, since I'm a newbie here mostly, playing records from my folks.

The sound is awful now, so even though I generally am not too keyed into things being pristine, it's getting unlistenable.

I'd really like something similar but the next step up, I guess.  The big catch for me, though, is if I have to get a turntable AND separate speakers AND various components just to listen.  I'm not ready to make a huge investment there, plus my wife would punch me in the balls for even trying :)

Don't worry about the computer/iPod...I wouldn't be converting the vinyl to MP3s.  That was just to illustrate how little I know about this world.  For the most part, anything I have on vinyl I also have digitally already.

I don't understand.  If you want to play your records, you'll need something with an amp to plug it into - an "integrated", which included the amp and the preamp in one unit.  Otherwise a separate amp for power, and a preamp to select source and control volume.   And then you'll need speakers from there. 

I wouldn't bother messing with vinyl and a computer based system.  I just don't see the benefit from an audio standpoint.  Unless you just want to use the turntable to rip your vinyl into mp3's.  Then you'd need a usb turntable.

ggw

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 03:06:53 pm »
I think this is what you are looking for.

chaz

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 03:08:06 pm »
this
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKA9555BLK/Onkyo/A-9555-Integrated-Digital-Amplifier-Black/1.html

and this

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?anlgtabl&1305121551&/Rega-P2-Sealed---Brand-NEW

and speakers of your choice.

not the answers you are looking for...sorry!

Browse around and read up on audiogon.  it will get you in the right direction.  For the money there are better integrated's you can get used up there, but they didn't have any listed right now so i put the onkyo piece up, which by all accounts is an excellent value.

hutch

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 03:14:12 pm »
maybe the crossley sounds awful cause the needle is toast....you could try replacing the needle...on ebay you can get new needles for $10... i can't believe you listen to stuff on a crossley though..t hose things are beyond pitiful.

there is no magic bullet my man.. if you buy a decent turntable you will need an amp and 2 speakers..if you want your music to sound good. ..if music is important to you.. well youhave to spend a few dollars... can't just download it all for free and listen to it for free. .there is a price..

there are no great turntables that come with speakers and their own amp

i mean there are portable turntables but i don't think this is what you want... i have a pt 01 portable one.. sound barely loud enough to satisfy.. then i have a numark turntable pro tt 1 but that one - which is good- is hooked up to an amp

its disgraceful that people- not you but people in general- think a computer and some shitty speakers is the way to listen to music... what is the point in that?

before saying you don't want to spend any money on audio equipment think about what you're saying.. you love music, are always going to shows etc but won't buy a turntable, amp and two speakers.. thats just plain hard for me to relate to...

i understand not wanting to drop too much money though.. so my advise would be look at the thrift stores....usually you can get this stuff there cheap..

James Ford

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2011, 03:14:25 pm »
I have one of these at home. How much you give me for it?

hutch

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2011, 03:15:34 pm »
also if you're listening to vinyl with a blunted needle you could be destroying your vinyl so STOP PLAYING ON THAT CROSSLEY IF IT SOUNDS LIKE SHIT!

chaz

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2011, 03:15:40 pm »
Well said.

maybe the crossley sounds awful cause the needle is toast....you could try replacing the needle...on ebay you can get new needles for $10... i can't believe you listen to stuff on a crossley though..t hose things are beyond pitiful.

there is no magic bullet my man.. if you buy a decent turntable you will need an amp and 2 speakers..if you want your music to sound good. ..if music is important to you.. well youhave to spend a few dollars... can't just download it all for free and listen to it for free. .there is a price..

i mean there are portable turntables but i don't think this is what you want... i have a pt 01 portable one.. sound barely loud enough to satisfy.. then i have a numark turntable pro tt 1 but that one - which is good- is hooked up to an amp

its disgraceful that people- not you but people in general- think a computer and some shitty speakers is the way to listen to music... what is the point in that?

before saying you don't want to spend any money on audio equipment think about what you're saying.. you love music, are always going to shows etc but won't buy a turntable, amp and two speakers.. thats just plain hard for me to relate to...

i understand not wanting to drop too much money though.. so my advise would be look at the thrift stores....usually you can get this stuff there cheap..

nkotb

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2011, 03:28:50 pm »
Agreed...that was a big help.  I'm just super green here; I'd prefer to listen to music on anything but my shitty computer speakers, but right now...that's what I've got.

Thanks for the tip on the needle, but I already changed that and it's still bad.  And agreed on the Crosley overall; it was just a stopgap and cheap option to start actually listening to some of the records I had from my parents and that I had picked up over the years.  It did it's job for a while, but it's time to move onto something better.

I'll do a little digging.  Chaz and Hutch, thanks again.  GGW and Rhett, neither of you were of any help whatsoever, but I admire your style.  Carry on.

Well said.

chaz

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2011, 03:37:04 pm »
PS.

Speakers are the most important piece of this puzzle.  If you skimp anywhere, don't do it on your speakers.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2011, 03:58:31 pm »
PS.

Speakers are the most important piece of this puzzle.  If you skimp anywhere, don't do it on your speakers.

thanks, you've just reminded me that i abandoned my search for a decent set of speakers recently, and need to get back on that.  any sub-$300 recommendations?

4 nkotb:
- http://www.buy.com/prod/califone-record-player-with-built-in-speaker-for-education-and/q/loc/111/213659095.html
- http://www.amazon.com/LP-R450-Turntable-Cassette-Radio-Recorder/dp/B0046TWVQ2 (or http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/741691-REG/Teac_LPR450_LPR450_Turntable_Cassette_CD.html)
<sig>