Author Topic: accosted  (Read 3511 times)

rektide

accosted
« on: March 16, 2011, 11:33:02 pm »
hey 930

was really loving the crystal castles tonight.  lot of energy & enthusiasm.

early in the show, someone pushed through from the sides. i gave him the shrugged shoulders "whats up mate" look as he kept trying to push me around, and he started yelling at me.  i kept trying to scream back in his ears "i cant hear anything you're saying," but he-- like me-- didnt seem to be getting the message.  the guy pulled out a light, and about eight seconds later he grabbed my hands, pulled them down, twisted me around, and started pushing me towards the back.

we got to the back doors by the coat rack (downstairs tonight) before i heard the first words he said -- i'm security.

immediately i started asking, what is your name?  what is your name?  no reply.  he bodily pushed me out of the club, and i was still asking, what is your name?  he'd already turned to go back in, and was inside the door, before i screamed "you must tell me your name before you leave", and he finally said it was austin.  big frizzy hair, decent girth.

head of security was around.  austin had already dived back in to doing what not-- gone.  i told head of security-- name unknown-- that i had been physically assaulted and accosted by one of his team members, and that i had no idea why, and that i wanted to know why i was ejected.  15 minutes later, head of security came back to me.  he said that i had laid hands on his guy, and for the first time i was informed of what Austins position was-- that he had been searching for someones cell phone.  i had no idea, and denied this absurd accusation-- that i'd in any way physically engaged this guy on my part-- i had done nothing-- and head of security said it was his word against mine.  words fell on deaf ears that his man austin had failed to communicate with me and had fallen back to taking physical force against a long time composed and merely confused customer.

i asked to talk to someone who could reconcile this difference.

15 minutes latter - a good way through the concert by now - i saw head of security going into the ticket booth and asked him if anyone was going to come to see me.  he held up his pointer finger and disappeared into the area.

10- minutes after that a man, Don, manager, came outside.  he recited the same line head of security had told me: Austin claimed I had laid hands upon him-- never, i would not do that even as a matter of defense after being physically accosted-- and that he would not take any action.  ok, finally, i got upset.  no one is willing to listen to a word i say.  don turned me away, and was unwilling to register any complaint i had against one of his staff members-- who do i turn to for a complaint?  me, he says.  now leave.

@930club, this is really way un-cool.

----

i have screen shotted this post for posterity sakes. @930club please take account. i wish to settle this peaceably, but the actions of your security team and management have dismissed out of hand every word i've said as "my word against his" and his is better. Austin physically assaulted me without provocation, and in lying act of self defense blamed it on me, and i dont know who i'm supposed to turn to.  i've tried to raise it through the channels, and been dismissed at every turn.  what recourse can i take @930club?

<3 @rektide

HoyaSaxa03

Re: accosted
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 11:45:36 pm »
*grabs popcorn*
(o|o)

vansmack

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 11:58:40 pm »
I would send a private message to this guy and not air your grievances publicly, because as you accurately stated, it will undoubtedly break down into a He said/He said pissing contest that nobody wins:

That Guy (AKA Josh)
27>34

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 01:06:24 am »
rektide - that really sucks if what you wrote is true.  i admire how level-headed you are about your experience.  lots of people in your position would be swearing, threatening legal or political action, and generally being very (overly?) emotional.

regarding management, it is indeed your word against security's.  how is the manager supposed to determine if you were abused vs. are somebody who deserves to be ejected?  both types of ejectees can act the same way.  i suspect that the majority of cases like yours (someone claiming they were mistreated by security, were kicked out for no reason, the other person started it, etc) are in fact people who should be thrown out, but once outside they falsely claim innocence and demand justice (or an apology, or someone's head on a platter, etc).  the manager has to go with the odds, and with their staff.

furthermore, there are legal considerations in play.  management shouldn't admit any wrongdoing lest their words be used against them.  the manager wasn't there to see what happened so why would he risk saying something incriminating like "sorry that you were abused by my staff"?

so, keeping the above in mind, what would have been an acceptable outcome for you?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 07:25:18 am by sweetcell »
<sig>

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 07:01:26 am »
you can also email thatguy@930.com
T.Rex

serpent boy

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 11:18:03 am »
I'll echo Sweetcell's sentiments. You should e-mail ThatGuy, but don't expect an apology. If it was a mix-up, I'm sure it was truly unfortunate. Your message does seem honest and fair, but nobody knows for sure but you.

I've been to many 9:30 Club concerts where the staff ejected someone who deserved it. Most recently, some douche at the Chromeo/MNDR concert kept disrupting everyone around him, throwing elbows, and threatening fights. The staff kicked out the right guy. They typically do a damn good job.

fatskippy

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 11:27:51 am »
If you were assaulted, you should have called the police immediately, not waited to complain about it on a message board.

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 11:34:35 am »
If the incident happened just like you said (I'm not doubting you) and this Austin character grabbed you without provocation I would most certainly file criminal assault charges. Hopefully you had someone with you who can verify your side of the story.

Having said that, in all the years I was a patron of the club I never experienced or witnessed anything other than stellar conduct from the security staff. In fact, when my daughter was a teenager the 930 club was the ONLY club I allowed her to go see concerts at for that very reason.

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2011, 11:59:05 am »
If you were assaulted, you should have called the police immediately, not waited to complain about it on a message board.

DING DING DING!

ggw

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2011, 12:47:23 pm »
Accosted would be a good name for a crappy band. But they would have to spell it Akkosted or Accostd.

walkonby

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2011, 12:55:50 pm »
owning a business is tough.  having staff to moniter and take care off.  dictation.

owning a nightclub  must really suck though.  sure you make money and meet cool people . . . but shit like this happens and now everybody knows about it.

vansmack

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2011, 01:01:33 pm »
Accosted would be a good name for a crappy band. But they would have to spell it Akkosted or Accostd.

How did you miss my pool this year?!
27>34

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2011, 01:17:41 pm »

I'd say more suited for a hip-hopper... Akoss Ted - A Kosstedd - Akko Stedd.... or something like that

godsshoeshine

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2011, 01:34:33 pm »
no no, ska band

askasted
o/\o

rektide

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2011, 03:28:35 pm »
thanks for your support all.

indeed it is my word against his. 

the main question we had for the manager was, what was Austin's take?  Austin claims he talked to me (i heard nothing), that he could hear my reply ("i cant hear what you are saying"), and that i grabbed him.  what provoked this final action, what lead up to this, what came first and why was I upset?  we never got a reply; head of security got the manager when this was asked, and Don the manager never answered this.  Austin was never called outside to discuss the matter.

second, about word against word.  even as i was being accosted by Austin, i remained calm. while talking with the head of security i remained calm.  when Don first came out i remained calm.  even if it's my word against Austins, i refuse to see how i could've been perceived as dangerous or disorderly in any way. surely if i am causing problems, you'll know quickly and the next time i'm ejected you'll have your proof.  but to eject a calm confused person with violence, then ignore their pleas for reprieve and say there's nothing that can be done, to be utterly stonewalled, i found it quite a shaming and inhuman experience.

things that would've been cool:
1. Austin having to explain his side. "He put his hands on me" never cut it as a real story, and was the only thing i was fed or able to extract. it's hard to find the truth when it's one single lie i'm arguing against, and no chance for discovery.
2. consideration from the manager that letting me back in might not be the worst idea ever.
3. the manager conceding to take note of my complaint against Austin. it felt expressly dismissed.
4. a refund.

unfortunately my party bailed shortly before the incident-- some glasses were kicked by a crowd-surfer-- so it was just me there.  i might well have considered seeking the police otherwise, or perhaps my party might've had a better idea than i did what on earth was going on in the first place.

thanks, hope you enjoyed the popcorn.