Author Topic: If Crystal City is losing all these government jobs...  (Read 3978 times)

Thousand Made-Up Loves

If Crystal City is losing all these government jobs...
« on: March 22, 2011, 11:14:19 pm »
Will residential rents will decline because many of the amenities will leave? Or are all the residents in Crystal there so they can be close to the Pentagon/DC/395?

I work in Crystal, so the commercial traffic leaving is gonna suck. Always keeping my eye on the next great cheap rental market.

No, don't move to my current neighborhood either. It's not safe.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
Re: If Crystal City is losing all these government jobs...
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 11:20:17 pm »
I don't really know what you're driving at, but I did hear on the radio today that condo sales prices in crystal city are dropping more than any area around here.  10% in the last year.  The biggest gainer was Cleveland Park, up 11%.

Personally I can't think of an area I'd rather live in less than crystal city.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 08:56:38 am »
there's a jaleo there, so i'm sold
o/\o

fatskippy

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 09:26:48 am »
Life is way too short to live in a hell hole like Crystal City

James Ford

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 09:39:18 am »
High crime rate?

Why is it a hellhole?

Admittedly, I haven't spent much time there other than to attend work conferences at a hotel and stuff like that.

Life is way too short to live in a hell hole like Crystal City

fatskippy

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 10:14:45 am »
I worked there for 2 years and the place is a ghost town after business hours.  The area is just full of chain restaurants and has zero character.  I shudder at the thought of living anywhere in Northern Virginia.

walkonby

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 10:35:17 am »
feel lucky you have a house and a job and friends and a computer and music and a life and thoughts and your health and hands and

coddled americans

godsshoeshine

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 10:36:37 am »
they dont have any of those things in northern virginia
o/\o

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 10:52:41 am »
Personally I can't think of an area I'd rather live in less than crystal city.

I feel you, but every man has his price.

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 10:53:51 am »
I don't really know what you're driving at, but I did hear on the radio today that condo sales prices in crystal city are dropping more than any area around here.  10% in the last year.  The biggest gainer was Cleveland Park, up 11%.

Where did you hear this? I've been looking for resources on condo sale trends in metro Washington and am having trouble finding any.

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2011, 10:55:49 am »
I don't really know what you're driving at

What I am driving at is this: most, if not all, of the amenities in Crystal are geared towards 9-5 traffic. A shitload of this traffic is leaving the neighborhood. Obviously, there are people who live here too who use the amenities. I have to imagine many of these amenities will disappear with the traffic. Will this lead to people choosing not to rent residential property here and lead to a decrease in residential rents?

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2011, 10:59:40 am »
I don't really know what you're driving at

What I am driving at is this: most, if not all, of the amenities in Crystal are geared towards 9-5 traffic. A shitload of this traffic is leaving the neighborhood. Obviously, there are people who live here too who use the amenities. I have to imagine many of these amenities will disappear with the traffic. Will this lead to people choosing not to rent residential property here and lead to a decrease in residential rents?
I'm no expert, but in a case like this I'd guess that the rental market will follow the sales market, which is weak right now.  I'd say it's a lock that rental prices will drop.  Maybe Crystal City will become the next hipster mecca. 

James Ford

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2011, 01:08:34 pm »
I always thought it best to have the loud drunk assholes roaming someone else's neighborhood other than my own, but perhaps you need that kind of ACTION! in your neighborhood, man.

I worked there for 2 years and the place is a ghost town after business hours.  The area is just full of chain restaurants and has zero character.  I shudder at the thought of living anywhere in Northern Virginia.

fatskippy

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2011, 01:29:33 pm »
I always thought it best to have the loud drunk assholes roaming someone else's neighborhood other than my own, but perhaps you need that kind of ACTION! in your neighborhood, man.

Yeah, the loud drunken assholes in Cleveland Park really keep me up at all hours of the night.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2011, 01:55:39 pm »
sounds like northern virginia
o/\o