Author Topic: Bar lights = distracting  (Read 4079 times)

dungpow

Bar lights = distracting
« on: March 24, 2011, 11:23:19 am »
Noob to the board but long time patron of the 930 club.

I was at the Royskopp show last night and found the bar lights to be distracting. I often feel like they take away from the ambiance of the more darker/intimate shows like last night's. I felt like a lot of the cool effects they were doing on the stage were hindered by the lights at the bar. I understand the bartenders and patrons need to be able to see, but couldn't there be lights below the bar instead of the bright lights up on the walls? Just a suggestion.

dungpow

Re: Bar lights = distracting
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 11:32:41 am »
Noob to the board but long time patron of the 930 club.

I was at the Royskopp show last night and found the bar lights to be distracting. I often feel like they take away from the ambiance of the more darker/intimate shows like last night's. I felt like a lot of the cool effects they were doing on the stage were hindered by the lights at the bar. I understand the bartenders and patrons need to be able to see, but couldn't there be lights below the bar instead of the bright lights up on the walls? Just a suggestion.

To clarify.. I'm speaking of the bar lights by the food window.. down on the floor.

Shadrach

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 11:47:55 am »
Ever try serving drinks, counting money and making change in the dark?

dungpow

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 11:54:14 am »

Like I said I understand they need light.. but I've been to other places where the lights are below the bar or they had other lighting that was less intrusive.

James Ford

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 11:54:25 am »
And without serving  overpriced food and drinks, which of course are essential to a concert experience, the actual concert ticket would be much pricier.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 12:31:03 pm »
i'm with dungpow, the bar lights can be a intrusive.  worse are the spotlights shining straight down on the front of the side balconies and the fluo lights in the mens upstairs bathroom.  if you're on the left side balcony, every time someone enters or exit the mens room you're hit by those lights.  i find it very noticeable during darker moments of a show, but i'm a tad sensitive to light.

i would love for the club to look into directing light to where it's needed (bar, inside the bathroom) and keep it away from where it isn't (just about everywhere else).  for example, the fluos in the men's room are exposed.  a shade/reflector could be put in front of them to block direct line-of-sight outside the bathroom, while still allowing plenty of light inside.  light would be directed downwards and upwards but not straight out.  for the bar, maybe a tighter more focused light with a long shade, closer to the bar, would cut out on light bleed.  and those spotlights over the front of the balconies that are never turned off should be eliminated altogether although i suspect that they might be required by safety regulations.
<sig>

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 01:49:57 pm »
I'd prefer Lava Lamps everywhere.

eddie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 03:04:22 pm »
I don't know about lava lights in public but maybe we will poach that idea for some backstage decor...

At this juncture I am not exactly sure what exactly is required by law and what isn't but I think we will do a little research and see what we can do to eliminate any unnecessary light bleed during shows.

dungpow

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 03:09:21 pm »
I don't know about lava lights in public but maybe we will poach that idea for some backstage decor...

At this juncture I am not exactly sure what exactly is required by law and what isn't but I think we will do a little research and see what we can do to eliminate any unnecessary light bleed during shows.

Awesome!

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2011, 05:04:23 pm »

The higher caliber bar professionals have no problem with it...

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2011, 05:08:03 pm »

The higher caliber bar professionals have no problem with it...

Burn!

slappy

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2011, 05:26:15 pm »

Just don't heat 'em up on the panini press.

http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/mythbusters/db/science/exploding-lava-lamp.html

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2011, 05:33:22 pm »
A lot of bars use red lights, or at least, red shielding over their lights for a good working yet diffused light. Has a nice atmosphere too.

Red also has the longest wave length within the color spectrum which might be why it's easier to work with. Photographers also use it as a safe light in their darkrooms. It's nice and dark yet still easy to see what you are doing. Have been in red lite rooms many times.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 05:35:53 pm by Jaguar »

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2011, 05:53:21 pm »
Just a bar light to guide us.

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2011, 05:56:33 pm »
A lot of bars use red lights, or at least, red shielding over their lights for a good working yet diffused light. Has a nice atmosphere too.

Red also has the longest wave length within the color spectrum which might be why it's easier to work with. Photographers also use it as a safe light in their darkrooms. It's nice and dark yet still easy to see what you are doing. Have been in red lite rooms many times.

Roxanne...
😐 🎶