Author Topic: Record Store Day Question  (Read 35079 times)

gaaaaaaaaah

Re: Record Store Day Question
« Reply #90 on: November 26, 2011, 08:36:45 pm »
It looks like they had pretty much everything. I'm not sure how many copies they had for each special but I  didn't really see many people that looked or sounded disappointed.

I was just looking for the John Cale limited edition EP. They released it as a cd and made 2,000 copies but I've called literally every participating store in Maryland and no one got a copy.
try cd cellar in fallS church. I wasn't looking but I'm very sure I saw a copy this afternoon

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #91 on: November 28, 2011, 12:46:37 pm »
I ordered the Type O box set and seemed to get a pretty good deal on it.

Whether or not I actually get it is another thing entirely.

I've complained about this before but if the main purpose of this (Record Store Day) is to bring in more money for independent record stores that are struggling, then I guess their strategy is correct.  But if you are trying to expose anyone to new music and/or release some cool unreleased stuff from older bands that is ACCESSIBLE then it's a failure.  It's all numbered, collectible vinyl.  Baby boomer collectible crap.  I guess they know they're market.

But money's tight.  That Type O Negative box is nice but it's $100!  The Kings of Leon boxed set is $100!
A lot of the stuff I saw was all over $50. 

I always maintain that more bands should use this to release great sounding live records or demos or something.  I mean why can't someone like Radiohead release a great-sounding album of live material and charge $25 for it? Have all the proceeds go to Greenpeace or Occupy Wall Street or something?   A.  They could get that ready in a couple of weeks B.) Everyone would buy it.  C.) It would help out record stores.

Brian

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #92 on: November 28, 2011, 01:22:12 pm »
nothing is better than when a.) brian makes perfect sense and b.) he puts down kings of leon at the same time.

hutch

« Reply #93 on: November 28, 2011, 02:35:28 pm »
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers did release a live LP.. only seven songs though...

Its all I picked up.. I thought this was the worst RSD related event I have yet to see.. bunch of overpriced junk.. the Beatles and Lennon boxes supposedly sound like crap too.

I would have liked the Dead's Europe 72 Vol 2.. but at 70$ I passed.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #94 on: November 28, 2011, 02:38:46 pm »
Impossible to argue with any of that, Brian.  Well done.

I don't collect vinyl - or anything else, for that matter - so I only get the stuff I really want.  And I do want that box set. $100 for 6 records is hardly a bargain but, IMO, it isn't a ripoff, either.

Edit - didn't get the box set.   :'(  My order was taken but the shop ran out of boxes.  I've seen where I can still get it for ~$120 but I can't justify that.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 07:35:22 pm by StoneTheCrow »

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #95 on: November 28, 2011, 08:01:10 pm »
Impossible to argue with any of that, Brian.  Well done.

I don't collect vinyl - or anything else, for that matter - so I only get the stuff I really want.  And I do want that box set. $100 for 6 records is hardly a bargain but, IMO, it isn't a ripoff, either.

Edit - didn't get the box set.   :'(  My order was taken but the shop ran out of boxes.  I've seen where I can still get it for ~$120 but I can't justify that.

Well, actually I don't want to pick on Type O Negative.  What they had WAS a nice set and I don't know what the record stores paid but was probably worth $75 or whatever.   But $60 for four Beatles 45s?  Because Beatles stuff is so rare!  What's Jack White's/Third Man motto?  "Tangible, Collectible and Digital?"  Release the 180 gram four-disc whatever for the collectors but throw something fun out there for $15, too.

And sorry to disappoint, Walkie but I DO like what that box set was advertising.  EARLY Kings of Leon.  I loved them when they were young, mysterious and sounded like the Southern Strokes.  How can you deny this?: 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiEZ04iQ6f8

or a slower version by a Northern Stroke:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyiq4J6_31k

Brian

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #96 on: November 28, 2011, 11:19:06 pm »
I would have liked the Dead's Europe 72 Vol 2.. but at 70$ I passed.

This isn't a RSD exclusive.  It's been available at www.dead.net for a while now ($60).    Today they've got everything on sale for 20% off and free shipping.  That's not too bad.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #97 on: November 29, 2011, 12:09:37 am »
$100 for 6 records is hardly a bargain but, IMO, it isn't a ripoff, either.

6 double albums, that is.  Really is a pretty good deal.....especially now that I don't have one.

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #98 on: November 29, 2011, 10:50:17 am »
I guess this could also be posted in the "When reality reflects The Onion" thread, but EC makes a similar point to mine:

http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/dpps/entertainment/elvis-costello-urges-fans-not-to-buy-his-latest-release-dpgonc-20111129-fc_16152769

Do we have to revise basic economic theory?  When A.) the economy's bad and B.) the demand is low (for physical music media) wouldn't you LOWER prices?

Brian
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 10:56:06 am by Brian_Wallace »

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #99 on: November 29, 2011, 10:57:40 am »

Do we have to revise basic economic theory?  When A.) the economy's bad and B.) the demand in low (for physical music media) wouldn't you LOWER prices?

Brian

So they add scarcity to the mix, i.e. "limited edition".
😐 🎶

nkotb

« Reply #100 on: April 16, 2012, 02:40:34 pm »
Anyone gearing up for this weekend?  Not a ton of must-haves, IMO.  That Flaming Lips & Friends album will ultimately be available through their site, and the Uncle Tupelo stuff as well.  only think I'm really psyched for is Mclusky Does Dallas on vinyl.  Though the live Devo set might be cool too.

killsaly

« Reply #101 on: April 16, 2012, 02:54:20 pm »
I really want the Preteen Zenith release.

serpent boy

« Reply #102 on: April 16, 2012, 03:14:12 pm »
The BRMC Howl and Howl Sessions vinyl re-releases are up on their Web site. I already pre-ordered.

I also want the Feist/Mastodon split and the Beach House "Lazuli" 7".

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #103 on: April 17, 2012, 12:25:32 pm »
I read this entire thread yesterday.  Should have bumped it.

I only want the Refused reissue.  Can't imagine I will need to be in line at 6 am in order to get one.  At least I hope not.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #104 on: April 17, 2012, 12:26:35 pm »
Feist/Mastodon split

Like the art for that one.  Curious what it sounds like but not looking to buy it.