Author Topic: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition  (Read 1443588 times)

James Ford

Re: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2011, 03:54:11 pm »
Another crap band that my first indie rock girlfriend tried to get me to listen to in the 1990's. No thanks!

Archers of Loaf
Black Cat
8/5

on sale Friday April 15

bearman🐻

« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2011, 04:01:11 pm »
I saw Archers a few times in the 90's, opening for other bands. They never grabbed me.

I secretly referred to them as Pinchers of Loaf.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2011, 09:24:04 pm »
just out of curiousity

who has been the most hated person on this board ever?

pretty sure dupek wins that prize.
<sig>

azaghal1981

« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2011, 09:32:22 pm »
Dupek by a long shot.
احمد

wml7

« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2011, 09:36:37 pm »
Is that person still around or under a differnt name  ;D

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2011, 09:42:22 pm »
just out of curiousity

who has been the most hated person on this board ever?

pretty sure dupek wins that prize.

evilsanta
T.Rex

IMAmoose24

• 4 Stars out of 5
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2011, 11:48:17 pm »
I don't agree with the Arctic Monkeys analogy at all.

That being said, I am a HUGE fanboy and have been since their inception so my personal opinion can easily (and rightfully so) be seen as biased. I saw them their first time at the club. In all, it was incredible, beside the moshers during slower songs like mardy bum... they pissed the hell out of me (and being in the first row didnt help either. my nuts took a beating that night, and not in a good way). Missed their Favorite worst nightmare tour due to the fact that it took me a while to get into that album. Humbug's first single, "Crying Lightning" caught me completely off guard and I fell in love all over again. Loved the new album. Caught them at Rams Head and had a great time.

After falling in love with Favorite Worst Nightmare half a year before the rams head show, I can honestly say that they have been one of the more consistent acts in my life. I can always count on them to play a good show that me and my friends will enjoy.

This is why I will be there yet again come may. And after their recent release of the new single "Don't sit down cause I moved your chair", I can easily expect more of the same from the boy across the lake.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2011, 10:29:36 pm »
i always enjoyed the days of when it was the spin way of thinking and the rolling stone way of thinking about music.  to each their own and all that.  i got a free subscription to rolling stone after buying tickets on ticketmaster recently.  it seems to have changed in nature and slighted view.  has spin remained the same because i never bother to read spin?

i've had free a free subscription to spin for some time now, as well as RS, both b/c of free offers that came with ticket purchases.  actually, i think i'm now out of the "free offer" period for spin and they just keep sending it to me.

RS has had an evolution over the years because there has been some amount of substance to what they write - so there has been something to evolve.  you can disagree with what they write but you can't deny that they have some good writers on staff who try, however meekly, to get beyond the surface of a story.  then they have rabid left-wingers like taibbi who takes his watchdog role way too seriously (he does come up with some gems, tho).  a problem they have is that they have become an institution, they are the status quo of rock journalism.

spin, as far as i can tell, makes no allusions about depth.  they are the teenbeat/tiger magazine of music journalism.  they report whatever the industry & its marketing machines gives them to report.  nothing jarring, no negative lead stories, no horrible reviews.  it can be a decent source of information on upcoming albums and shows, and i get some entertainment out of the interviews with artists, but it's pure cotton candy.  every now and then they try running something beyond the marketing hype - "the problem with the music industry today" or "why does <insert city name here> have such a vibrant music scene?" - and invariably fall flat. 

has spin changes over the years?  i've only been reading it for 3 or 4 years, and from what i remember it's always been about the same... not that i've been paying close attention.  hasn't been much substance to pay close attention to.
<sig>

walkonby

« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2011, 10:42:37 pm »
see . . . i'd knew you come through.

sorry, too lazy for a cat picture to accent the moment we're having here.  picture one in your mind.  hold it, hold it.  there.  isn't that better?

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2011, 09:44:15 am »
i always enjoyed the days of when it was the spin way of thinking and the rolling stone way of thinking about music.  to each their own and all that.  i got a free subscription to rolling stone after buying tickets on ticketmaster recently.  it seems to have changed in nature and slighted view.  has spin remained the same because i never bother to read spin?

i've had free a free subscription to spin for some time now, as well as RS, both b/c of free offers that came with ticket purchases.  actually, i think i'm now out of the "free offer" period for spin and they just keep sending it to me.

I'll bet they're charging you for it.  I think that's part of the agreement of getting the free sub with tickets.  You agree to let them start charging your credit card after the "Free" period ends.  Tricky.

has spin changes over the years?  i've only been reading it for 3 or 4 years, and from what i remember it's always been about the same... not that i've been paying close attention.  hasn't been much substance to pay close attention to.

Spin was great when it first started.  If you were too lazy to bother with fanzines, it was the only place you could regularly/easily read about the likes of Sonic Youth, Husker Du, The Cure, etc.     It was the first alternative rag to hit the major market.    They never completely ignored the mainstream though.  Madonna was on their 1st or 2nd cover.  But as "Indie Turned Mainstream" (tm), Spin went right along with it.   I don't remember them doing much in-depth reporting as much as they just brought you bands you couldn't read about elsewhere.  It was a pretty good mag in the mid-80s.

Ardamus

• Ardamus
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2011, 05:58:23 pm »
I'm opening for Beans of Anti-Pop Consortium at DC9.

http://www.dcnine.com/event/beans/

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2011, 10:17:27 am »
HFStival 2011
Saturday, September 17th
Merriweather Post Pavilion

The Avett Brothers
Flogging Molly
Dr. Dog
Gin Blossoms
Clutch
Minus the Bear
Diane Birch

Over 20 bands on 3 stages
Tickets: $35 lawn, $50 reserved (prices include all fees! This is what you really pay!)
Pre-Sale for $5 off is Friday May 13-15

FM + clutch?  in. 

i hope the TBD bands beef things up a bit, but those two bands + MPP on a september afternoon is enough to get me there :)
<sig>

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2011, 01:27:03 pm »
Weren't Soundgarden tickets available today?  Pre-sale, maybe?  I didn't try but wonder what kind of seats were up for grabs.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2011, 01:28:28 pm »

FM + clutch?  in. 

i hope the TBD bands beef things up a bit, but those two bands + MPP on a september afternoon is enough to get me there :)

I'm really on the fence for this one - those are pretty much my thoughts exactly but $50 is a lot for just those two.  Not interested at all in any of the other acts.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2011, 01:41:06 pm »
$50 is a lot for just those two. 

my thinking on this:
- FM is worth $20 to me.
- clutch is worth $20 to me.
- spending a lazy saturday afternoon at MPP listening to bands i might not otherwise ever hear: at least $10.

so financially i've already justified this to myself :)
<sig>