Author Topic: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition  (Read 1443474 times)

i am gay and i like cats

Re: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition
« Reply #180 on: December 22, 2011, 11:50:16 pm »
nice one there brian.  first of all, let me express good christmas tidings to you and your family.  i'm sure you celebrate in style.  legend . . . ah . . . such a film.  i grew up on that film.  like a little nerdling obsessed with dungeons and dragons and all things fantasy related.  what a work of art that film was.  of course, fuck head tom cruise tried to ruin it with his horrible character, and god anybody else would have been better, but who cares about him, for he cannot ruin what legend is as fodder for creative minds everywhere.  it can frustrate one into actually believing what you are seeing could be real but you cannot achieve it, if one is naive enough . . . and that is the magic of film when it is done correct.  like kubrick's barry lyndon.  but back to legend.  i mean, are you kidding me.  billy barty and cork hubbert as the loveable little people and that super sexy oona pixie flying around being all tart like.  mia sara i could give or take a rat's ass about, but if i was straight, i'm sure i would make rude comments about her breasts or something.  and who can not be blown away . . . yes i said blown away by tim currey as darkness.  yum yum, if you into getting raped by satan, not that i am or anything.  so there, brian.  yes, i love me some ridley scott, mister dreamy old man and his brilliant masterpiece film, legend.  whew, i need a drink after all that.  yes, a gin and tonic would be nice. 

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #181 on: December 24, 2011, 01:58:10 pm »

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you, too!  Safe travel.

I love that movie, too.  You've seen the 2 hour director's cut, right?  Not the 90 minute US version?

It could only have been improved if they had gone with a song by the cute boys in Duran Duran instead of some Roxy Music leftover:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEvK8bCYWHo

Brian

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #182 on: December 24, 2011, 02:40:18 pm »
It could only have been improved if they had gone with a song by the cute boys in Duran Duran instead of some Roxy Music leftover:

Oh, Hell no!!!

Roxy Music wins out with any song, in any era, in any form whatsoever.

wml7

« Reply #183 on: December 24, 2011, 03:19:16 pm »
For any of you wackos that are interested in Voodoo Fest in New Orleans, Groupon is having a sale.
Three day pass for $77.  The Voodoo website had it for $77 for a pre sale but then there was $20 in fees.  Not a shabby deal  ;D
http://www.groupon.com/deals/gl-voodoo-new-orleans?utm_medium=afl&utm_campaign=4485850&utm_source=rvs

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #184 on: December 26, 2011, 02:22:01 pm »

Taking their music completely out of the equation, it never ceases to amaze me that the one individual of the orignial line-up that is deemed unworthy to tour with Van Halen is Michael Anthony.  I mean, that band has/had three or four of the biggest a-holes of the 20th century in it and they can't tour with MICHAEL ANTHONY!  This guy!:

I can't even come up with another band analogy.  Can anyone?  Because even Ringo got stroppy at points and quit/threatened to quit, didn't he?  Adam Clayton?  No, I think they've had substance abuse problems with him...  I don't know.  How come this isn't in Psych textbooks under Projection and/or Transferrence?

No!  Wait a minute!  I got it!

http://www.theonion.com/articles/all-of-familys-neuroses-projected-onto-dog,403/

Brian

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #185 on: December 29, 2011, 07:13:28 pm »
Not a recent announcement......but that Thurston Moore/Kurt Vile show at the Black Cat in Feb.  Worth going for the opener?  I'd stay for the headliner, of course, but is KV good enough live to justify the ticket?

hutch

« Reply #186 on: December 29, 2011, 08:06:16 pm »
Not a recent announcement......but that Thurston Moore/Kurt Vile show at the Black Cat in Feb.  Worth going for the opener?  I'd stay for the headliner, of course, but is KV good enough live to justify the ticket?

I think that show is a great bill.. I mean for $16?!

Just haven't been around the Black Cat to pick up a ticket..probably will sell out before I have the chance..

I will add I saw Thurston Moore at the Cat around 1995 and it was a good show..

killsaly

« Reply #187 on: December 30, 2011, 02:07:13 pm »
Vile is definitely worth checking out.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #188 on: December 30, 2011, 02:15:16 pm »
Thanks.  Gonna buy tix if I am in the area of BC tomorrow, as planned.

Late to the party but I do love his last album.

killsaly

« Reply #189 on: December 30, 2011, 02:19:56 pm »
Ill be there

vansmack

« Reply #190 on: January 12, 2012, 06:21:37 pm »
Are the same people that bought tickets to that the same people that think Zooey Deschanel's tv show and Xmas album are good?

No.  I'm not from Portland so I really didn't see the humor in it.

Though I do love Zooey Deschanel's new show and the Xmas album was listened to quite often last month.
27>34

Yada

« Reply #191 on: January 13, 2012, 09:35:31 am »
Smoke Ring for my Halo is up there as maybe my favorite album of 11'. F'n awesome...

The question is, is that Vile's whole band or a solo show?

At any rate, I'll be there!

eltee

« Reply #192 on: January 13, 2012, 04:23:08 pm »
Tricky, tricky...Snow Patrol sale for Friday 4/6 barely cooled and 2nd show added.
Dang nab. Sethy / 930 / TF can I void my sale for 4/6 and purchase 4/7? I much prefer attending Sat. since I work late Friday's and downtown is a mess.

James Ford

« Reply #193 on: January 19, 2012, 12:22:53 pm »
Anybody have a guess as to whether M. Ward will be with a band or if it will be a solo show as were his 2011 shows?

http://pitchfork.com/news/42403-m-ward-going-solo-once-again/

killsaly

« Reply #194 on: January 19, 2012, 12:24:56 pm »
And in the months ahead, he'll play a series of bare-bones solo dates-- just him and a guitar.