Author Topic: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition  (Read 1443973 times)

i am gay and i like cats

Re: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition
« Reply #360 on: November 12, 2012, 09:24:10 am »
yeah . . . but they sold out so quickly.  people are always right.  sold out shows equal great music.  and seeing how nine thirty is number one, jane's addiction is doing just fine.  plus that lollapalooza thing.  everybody loves perry now because of that.  he has those heels to fall back on every time.  think of the kids who have never even seen 'soul kiss' on vhs.  eric who?  who?  bands can't move on without a bass player.  metallica anybody.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 09:26:33 am by walkonby »

Relaxer

« Reply #361 on: November 12, 2012, 10:08:22 am »
Metallica had, by a mile, their biggest album after losing their original bass player. You really do just pull these rants out of your ass don't you.
oword

hutch

« Reply #362 on: November 12, 2012, 10:22:12 am »
well let us at least agree that Jane's is no Mumford....

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #363 on: November 12, 2012, 10:23:28 am »
what about bon jovi.  they lost their bass player too.  look at them.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #364 on: November 12, 2012, 10:24:52 am »
Metallica had, by a mile, their biggest album after losing their original bass player. You really do just pull these rants out of your ass don't you.

i bet you are a furry ball of snuggle.

hutch

« Reply #365 on: November 12, 2012, 10:35:08 am »
I don't think the Metallica analogy is a good one...sorry to be a stickler..

After Burton died the album released was ...and justice for all which did well but by no means would be considered to have been much bigger than Master of Puppets.. it kept he slow and steady climb but it was no huge breakout... the NEXT album was the huge breakout... there is no doubt in anybody's mind that had Cliff Burton lived things would have been even bigger.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #366 on: November 12, 2012, 10:38:02 am »

hutch

« Reply #367 on: November 12, 2012, 10:54:32 am »

Relaxer

« Reply #368 on: November 12, 2012, 11:41:17 am »
Cliff living would not have made them bigger. They sold 15+ million copies of the Black album in the US and around 30 million worldwide. For a heavy metal band, which they were at the time, that is the ceiling. So no, Metallica is not a good example of a band that went to pot after their bass player left.

Here's a thought -- Jane's Addiction is actually a very good example of a band that nosedived after its bass player left.
oword

hutch

« Reply #369 on: November 12, 2012, 11:46:29 am »
Cliff living would not have made them bigger. They sold 15+ million copies of the Black album in the US and around 30 million worldwide. For a heavy metal band, which they were at the time, that is the ceiling. So no, Metallica is not a good example of a band that went to pot after their bass player left.

Here's a thought -- Jane's Addiction is actually a very good example of a band that nosedived after its bass player left.

well not to argue for the sake of argument  ;D ;D ;D ;Dbut just because the Black Album sold 15 million copies doesn't mean it was their best album , no? unless we're applying atomicfront's mumford rule...

I mean I'll take their stuff up to ..and justice for all (which Newsted played on I admit but on which cliff had some influence) any day of the week over what came after...

hutch

« Reply #370 on: November 12, 2012, 12:05:02 pm »
but yeah I grudgingly stand corrected Relaxer..  ;D

impossible to see how they could have gotten "bigger" than the black album

better yes.. more creative yes.. but commercially bigger.. no

atomicfront

« Reply #371 on: November 12, 2012, 12:59:15 pm »

well not to argue for the sake of argument  ;D ;D ;D ;Dbut just because the Black Album sold 15 million copies doesn't mean it was their best album , no? unless we're applying atomicfront's mumford rule...

I mean I'll take their stuff up to ..and justice for all (which Newsted played on I admit but on which cliff had some influence) any day of the week over what came after...

Black album is their only decent album.  As for why it was so good. I saw a show about and the producer made them do each part over and over and over again until they got it right. I think they were in the studio for a year. 

atomicfront

« Reply #372 on: November 12, 2012, 01:00:35 pm »
How about Smashing Pumpkins?  They have sucked since their bass player left.

hutch

« Reply #373 on: November 12, 2012, 01:17:48 pm »
well the best examples might be

The Ramones after Dee Dee left and the Sex Pistols after Glen Matlock left..

atomicfront

« Reply #374 on: November 12, 2012, 01:19:34 pm »
well the best examples might be

The Ramones after Dee Dee left and the Sex Pistols after Glen Matlock left..

Well even after Glen Matlock left he still played on their album.  I don't think they recorded anything with Sid on Bass.