Author Topic: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition  (Read 1443777 times)

hutch

Re: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition
« Reply #480 on: December 05, 2012, 12:05:59 pm »
I justified the 87.50 after fee price of Nick Cave to the fact that I would spend that much buying a 50 dollar ticket to the 930 and then spending 40 on beers/tips that night too...

Won't drink at the Strathmore show.

I really can't believe its 87.50! Good lord.. of course if one likes a musician enough they'll pay anything...but it was $45 at the 930 in 2008...and I thought THAT was expensive!

He is definitely an amazing singer/songwriter/performer.. don't begrudge him charging what I suppose the market will determine he is ultimately worth...

K8teebug

« Reply #481 on: December 05, 2012, 12:09:21 pm »
I think it's alot, but I like that venue and it seems like that's how much people like him are.  I don't think Morrissey tickets there were much cheaper.

45 dollars+40 on beer=80 bucks.

and I'll pay the extra money to have a designated place to sit/stand!

K8teebug

« Reply #482 on: December 05, 2012, 12:10:13 pm »
This is also why I don't really go to many shows anymore.  I remember the days when someone like him would have been 20 bucks *shakes my cane*

hutch

« Reply #483 on: December 05, 2012, 12:16:42 pm »
it makes me sad to be priced out...  but he deserves any dollar he has coming his way... the guy has never put out anything I haven't liked....some I've liked a little (No more shall we part and nocturama) but the stuff I've really liked has been amazing

everyone who can't make show listen to your Live Seeds live cd... that is what really got me hooked back in the day

still remember seeing him at Lolla in 94.. in the heat  with the sun shinning in his face at 1 pm  playing to a few people who didn't know who he was.. it was awful...  i only caught a few songs because we got there late due to the roads being jammed.... I don't think he came back to the States for years after that ..

atomicfront

« Reply #484 on: December 05, 2012, 12:56:07 pm »
it makes me sad to be priced out...  but he deserves any dollar he has coming his way... the guy has never put out anything I haven't liked....some I've liked a little (No more shall we part and nocturama) but the stuff I've really liked has been amazing

everyone who can't make show listen to your Live Seeds live cd... that is what really got me hooked back in the day

still remember seeing him at Lolla in 94.. in the heat  with the sun shinning in his face at 1 pm  playing to a few people who didn't know who he was.. it was awful...  i only caught a few songs because we got there late due to the roads being jammed.... I don't think he came back to the States for years after that ..

That is the only time I have seen Nick Cave.  I thought he was decent. I probably only have listened to that one solo album though I do have the Birthday Party stuff.  Yeah it was a horrible drive that year to West Virginia.   But that was the year with Stereolab and Lucious Jackson whom were both pretty awesome.  I had just come back from Cape Cod and was sort of exhausted so I left just before Beastie Boys and I have never seen them since.  If I knew that I would have stuck around.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #485 on: December 05, 2012, 01:03:49 pm »
I can't think of a more consistent performing/recording artist than Nick Cave over the last 25 years...
Granted the first time i saw him was only maybe 15 years ago or so, but EVERY time I've seen him whether with the Bad Seeds or Grinderman he has delivered 100%.  I've never left one of his shows thinking it could have been any better. 

K8teebug

« Reply #486 on: December 05, 2012, 01:09:18 pm »
Which is why that show is worth 87 dollars. 

My husband was at the Lolla show.  Said he was great.

I wasn't allowed to go to shows in 1994.

shemptiness

« Reply #487 on: December 05, 2012, 10:17:34 pm »
One of my favorite Singer/Songwriters will be making a rare DC appearance on Friday (12/7).  Recommended if you like Crowded House. Jellyfish

Cliff Hillis
solo at Nanny O'Brien's
10pm
3319 Connecticut Ave., NW    Washington    DC    20008

http://www.cliffhillis.com/index

Very cool.  Can't make the show but just got the new CD from his website.

When it comes to power pop I trust your judgment.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 10:44:48 pm by Shemp »

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #488 on: December 05, 2012, 11:06:35 pm »

thank you . . . for making me old.  "couldn't go to shows in '94"  omg.  one more time.  omg.  unless of course you were in jail in 1994, which one more time.  omg.

shemptiness

« Reply #489 on: December 05, 2012, 11:29:02 pm »

thank you . . . for making me old.  "couldn't go to shows in '94"  omg.  one more time.  omg.  unless of course you were in jail in 1994, which one more time.  omg.

AARP has Fleetwod Mac tix...

Darth Ed

« Reply #490 on: December 06, 2012, 12:08:49 am »
I decided to pass on Nick Cave and see Thao with The Get Down Stay Down at the Black Cat. I've seen Nick Cave a handful of times already and he's one of my all-time favorite artists, but I just think I'll enjoy the Black Cat show more. I love Thao too, but I've only seen her a couple times.

My favorite Nick Cave album is Henry's Dream. "Papa Won't Leave You, Henry" puts a hop in my step like no other song ever.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #491 on: December 06, 2012, 01:45:31 am »

speaking of:

One More Time - The Tribute to Daft Punk
Thur 1/24
<sig>

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #492 on: December 06, 2012, 08:48:41 am »
One of my favorite Singer/Songwriters will be making a rare DC appearance on Friday (12/7).  Recommended if you like Crowded House. Jellyfish

Cliff Hillis
solo at Nanny O'Brien's
10pm
3319 Connecticut Ave., NW    Washington    DC    20008

http://www.cliffhillis.com/index

Very cool.  Can't make the show but just got the new CD from his website.

When it comes to power pop I trust your judgment.

Cool, Cliff is one of my favs and I put together a quick spotify primer from his albums

http://open.spotify.com/user/djwren/playlist/3LtQAU1mZjalY79x6QJc1J
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 08:51:52 am by kosmo vinyl »
T.Rex

K8teebug

« Reply #493 on: December 06, 2012, 08:52:22 am »

I was in high school.  My parents were not cool with rock concerts for whatever reason.

Vas Deferens

(_|_)