Author Topic: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition  (Read 1443554 times)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Re: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition
« Reply #540 on: December 31, 2012, 07:46:49 pm »
Allmusic would disagree with your assessment of "Exile on Main street"
T.Rex

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #541 on: December 31, 2012, 08:54:40 pm »
I would say that most bands that have a long life put out their best album within their first five, but rarely is their first the best.

The La's and Lykke Li are not/will not be long life bands/artists.

Well sure, if flash in the pan acts are your thing.

Most bands best album is probably their first anyway.

Most bands that are not flash-in-the pans put out a load of crap music.  There were two rolling stones shows on tv last night. one from 2008 and one from 1991 in both instances they were absolutely awful.  And to think when was the last time they put out anything decent?  1981's tattoo you?  Yeah but most of the music on that album was recorder earlier.  So  last real new release worthy material? Some Girls 1978.  So they have been touring and putting out crap music for over 30 years. 

I prefer to see a flash in the pan that puts out one incredible album which I hear live than a band that puts out a few good albums followed by 20 bad ones and they can't play live yet they charge insane amounts of money to see them.

For example Lykii Li.  Great first ablum.  Great performance.  or the La's.  Great album and great show and never to be seen from again. 

What is a long-life band?  How many bands have 5 great albums in their catalogue?  I would say not too many. 

Off hand:

Beatles
Depeche Mode
Cure
U2
Coldplay
Johnny Cash
Led Zeppelin

Most long life bands contain 2 or 3 decent albums and a bunch of press praise that makes them seem better than they are.  Radiohead:  The Bends, Ok Computer, Kid A.  so 3.   Rolling Stones: Let it Bleed, Stick Fingers, Some Girls great.  Beggars Banquet good.  David Bowie: Ziggy Stardust, Hunky Dory. 

I would say Coldplay's best was their first. 

U2 doesn't even have one great SONG or band member...
FUKIT

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #542 on: January 01, 2013, 10:50:25 am »
Exile on main street is an awful album.  Definitely the worst stones album through tatoo you.  Even the band say as much.  And the critics said as much when it came out.

Oh, no! If the critics hated it then it MUST be awful.  No getting around that, unfortunately.

Worse than Black and Blue?  I doubt it.  B&B is ok and no better than that.  Well, unless the critics say otherwise.

hutch

« Reply #543 on: January 01, 2013, 11:13:44 am »
Exile on main street is an awful album.  Definitely the worst stones album through tatoo you.  Even the band say as much.  And the critics said as much when it came out.

Oh, no! If the critics hated it then it MUST be awful.  No getting around that, unfortunately.

Worse than Black and Blue?  I doubt it.  B&B is ok and no better than that.  Well, unless the critics say otherwise.

I love Black and Blue!..their most underrated album imnsho... such an interesting album with three different guitarists purportedly auditioning (although ronnie i have to think had it sown up..).. perkins is great on it..

as an aside the original vinyl pressing, in particular, is to die for... pretty much agreed on its the best sounding Stones LP... charlie's high hat is to die for...i'm hearing hey negrita now

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #544 on: January 01, 2013, 07:45:35 pm »

FAIL!!!
😐 🎶

hutch

« Reply #545 on: January 01, 2013, 08:16:56 pm »
God bless Tom Waits but he has to be the laziest live performer.. good lord how long has it been since he played DC? 30 years?

He must average 3 shows a year going back to the mid 90s!

atomicfront

« Reply #546 on: January 02, 2013, 10:37:40 am »

FAIL!!!

moby is pretty awesome live but I believe that is a DJ set.

atomicfront

« Reply #547 on: January 02, 2013, 10:43:22 am »
Allmusic would disagree with your assessment of "Exile on Main street"

yeah all the critics love it now because they tend to follow each other.  But it still is an awful album.

atomicfront

« Reply #548 on: January 02, 2013, 10:56:35 am »
The Rolling Stones have only three great albums?? And Exile on Main Street isn't even one of them?
 ::)

I really think Atomicfront just doesn't like rock and roll.. I mean he's into the 80s gay synth bands and mopey bands of his youth and the wannabe "indie" folksters of today (Lumineers, Mumford).. there is just not a lot of rock and roll left... sure he gives the Beatles their credit.. he has to.. everybody does.. and Johnny Cash is cool... and Zep "rocks" not that he knows what that is..not really..

Obviously a person like that couldn't appreciate Exile on Main Street.

Plus he just seems to have no clue about music history.. I wonder if you told some of his favorite bands what they though about Bowie having only two good albums? And Low wasn't even one of them??? They'd laugh him out the building.

This is the man who prefers Big Audio Dynamite to the Clash.. I mean really...he just doesn't like rock and roll. And that is fine but don't pretend to be an expert on it dude.

Funny I like a ton more music than you.  I listed my top 23 albums of the year and would have to now add Alt-J and Django Django albums to it.   And you act like all like is Mumford and Sons..  They didn't even make my top 25 albums of the year list.  I guess they are new band that you know because they are super popular. 

I am sure my expertise on rock is a lot more throrough than your own.  All you seem to like are has-beens.  There is a reason I prefer Big Audio Dynamite to the Clash.  I think you can dance to about on Clash song (Radio Clash) and you can dance to just about all Big Audio Dynamite songs.   London Calling has some great songs on it but it also has a bunch of songs that I have to skip. 

As for the Beatles, I have always loved them and love solo stuff by them too (All things must pass, imagine, band on the run albums + ringo singles from the 70's).  I am not one to make a list to give someone thier due just because I think I have to.  If I did that I would be like a lemming who says Exile on Main Street is a great album.

As for "Low" i don't care for it.  If i had to list my to 5 bowie albums it certainly would not be one of them.   As for someone laughing at my favorite albums, it would make me a very lame person if I decided on what I liked based on someone else opinion.   And instead of replying with bands that you might actually think 5 great albums, 5 masterpieces you come up with an attack response because you base your musical taste or rolling stone magazine instead of making your own mind up.  How dare I have my own opinion on music.  Didn't I read the review by the critic that you read? 

James Ford

« Reply #549 on: January 02, 2013, 11:49:50 am »
It's good to know that danceability is such an important criteria when it comes to judging the quality of a rock band.

My five year old daughter must be lecturing at your rock school.

The fact that you list Depeche Mode as having five great albums and the Rolling Stones as only having three is as far as I need to read!

atomicfront

« Reply #550 on: January 02, 2013, 06:15:10 pm »
It's good to know that danceability is such an important criteria when it comes to judging the quality of a rock band.

My five year old daughter must be lecturing at your rock school.

The fact that you list Depeche Mode as having five great albums and the Rolling Stones as only having three is as far as I need to read!

so you are saying your daughter has better musical taste than you? 

atomicfront

« Reply #551 on: January 03, 2013, 11:06:50 am »
No Lumineers pre-sale tickets. at 10:00 i got in and instantly entered captcha. so in 20 seconds no tickets. 

hutch

« Reply #552 on: January 03, 2013, 12:14:01 pm »
No Lumineers pre-sale tickets. at 10:00 i got in and instantly entered captcha. so in 20 seconds no tickets. 

the horror! they're having a contest on the vinyl district so go enter that and maybe you win free tickets.

atomicfront

« Reply #553 on: January 03, 2013, 12:18:16 pm »

the horror! they're having a contest on the vinyl district so go enter that and maybe you win free tickets.

655 tickets on stubhub already. I am guessing the pre-sale tickets were exclusively attained by scalpers.  Perhaps they were never on sale on ticketmaster.

Vas Deferens

(_|_)