Author Topic: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition  (Read 1443687 times)

K8teebug

Re: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition
« Reply #690 on: January 23, 2013, 11:25:53 am »
Does anyone else think Beach House is incredibly dull and boring?  I want to like them because they're from Baltimore and I'm from Baltimore but I just don't get it.

Relaxer

« Reply #691 on: January 23, 2013, 11:27:36 am »
I'm with you on that.
oword

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #692 on: January 23, 2013, 11:30:08 am »
Does anyone else think Beach House is incredibly dull and boring?  I want to like them because they're from Baltimore and I'm from Baltimore but I just don't get it.

+1.  i don't get them.  they have a pretty song or two, but a whole album = boring.
<sig>

atomicfront

« Reply #693 on: January 23, 2013, 11:36:24 am »

I actually think they are the best band in the world right now.  Last 2 albums have been masterpieces.  And I was a big fan even before these albums were released. 

Relaxer

« Reply #694 on: January 23, 2013, 11:49:47 am »
I see the universe is properly aligned on its axis today.
oword

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #695 on: January 23, 2013, 11:51:29 am »
i heart relaxer.
<sig>

shemptiness

« Reply #696 on: January 23, 2013, 11:52:32 am »
I see the universe is properly aligned on its axis today.

Comforting, in an odd way.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #697 on: January 23, 2013, 12:37:42 pm »
I think it's the new Prince track that azaghal1981 tipped me to... Fuzzed out guitar, vintage Prince vocals... oh yeah!

http://youtu.be/9a6WwT9LNJw
T.Rex

atomicfront

« Reply #698 on: January 24, 2013, 07:20:51 pm »
Well I got good tickets in the Beach House pre-sale.  isn't it nice when all the tickets aren't pre-sold to scalpers.

atomicfront

« Reply #699 on: January 25, 2013, 05:38:23 pm »
Can you see from section A at constitution hall?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #700 on: January 25, 2013, 06:27:21 pm »
Well I got good tickets in the Beach House pre-sale.  isn't it nice when all the tickets aren't pre-sold to scalpers.
Can you see from section A at constitution hall?

*facepalm*

*sigh*... depending on the setup and exact seat location it can be OK, or you can have obstructed view.  either way you will be looking at the performers' profiles - you will be 90 degrees to them, directly off their left shoulders. you can actually be behind located the performers if they walk to the front of the stage.  sound typically isn't the best.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 06:30:27 pm by sweetcell »
<sig>

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #701 on: January 28, 2013, 04:51:23 pm »
totally agree with Hutch on this... But you can't keep the Bros and Soccer Moms from hearing that hit live.  It's gonna be a great show where 2k "die-fans" will have to put with a whole bunch more "fans" yacking away waiting for the hit, and leaving once it's over.  And the Gotye must be a masterpiece as well..

personally i'm waiting for Dry The River  to return with their no-hits selfs and listen to a real masterpiece live for the first time. They have played twice at the Black Cat Backstage, once at Iota.  Waiting for DC date for Milo Greene as well...

Personally I think this new paradigm where bands explode on the internet and go from playing coffeehouses to arenas in a few weeks is very problematic.. there is no way these bands are going to be able to put on anything remotely resembling a decent performance without having actually put  in the sweat and developed their performance and a stage act... People like James Brown or Mick Jagger worked for years to become quality performers. A guy like Elvis developed his stage show over a substantial period at the hayrides etc.. The most disturbing thing is the crowd probably won't even care as live performance sort of went out the window in the 1990s with the "you got to look like you're not trying to entertain people" approach

its a shame that bands no longer really have to earn it the hard way... I remember when bands would play the black cat a few times, graduate to the 930, play that a few times and maybe the lucky ones go up from there... nowadays these fly by night one hit on spotify (whatever that means) acts skip all the paying their dues/learning the ropes... but hey good luck to them and their fans.."
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 04:58:09 pm by kosmo vinyl »
T.Rex

atomicfront

« Reply #702 on: January 28, 2013, 11:00:38 pm »
totally agree with Hutch on this... But you can't keep the Bros and Soccer Moms from hearing that hit live.  It's gonna be a great show where 2k "die-fans" will have to put with a whole bunch more "fans" yacking away waiting for the hit, and leaving once it's over.  And the Gotye must be a masterpiece as well..

personally i'm waiting for Dry The River  to return with their no-hits selfs and listen to a real masterpiece live for the first time. They have played twice at the Black Cat Backstage, once at Iota.  Waiting for DC date for Milo Greene as well...

Personally I think this new paradigm where bands explode on the internet and go from playing coffeehouses to arenas in a few weeks is very problematic.. there is no way these bands are going to be able to put on anything remotely resembling a decent performance without having actually put  in the sweat and developed their performance and a stage act... People like James Brown or Mick Jagger worked for years to become quality performers. A guy like Elvis developed his stage show over a substantial period at the hayrides etc.. The most disturbing thing is the crowd probably won't even care as live performance sort of went out the window in the 1990s with the "you got to look like you're not trying to entertain people" approach

its a shame that bands no longer really have to earn it the hard way... I remember when bands would play the black cat a few times, graduate to the 930, play that a few times and maybe the lucky ones go up from there... nowadays these fly by night one hit on spotify (whatever that means) acts skip all the paying their dues/learning the ropes... but hey good luck to them and their fans.."

the sad thing is you somehow think you are better than a soccer mom or a "bro". 

azaghal1981

« Reply #703 on: January 29, 2013, 02:20:39 am »
Yes.

احمد

MonkeyPants

« Reply #704 on: January 29, 2013, 05:14:20 pm »

I agree with Kosmo and Hutch...I just don't understand how a band with a single album gets booked at a place with more than 2K seats as anything other than an opening act. Now I'm not talking about pop sensations that are just commodities with huge, lip-synched stage shows. Let the kids go to that circus. It's not a real live show, anyway. But with supposedly legitimate artists, I don't think it serves the artist or the audience to have a band with about an hour's worth of material headline a huge venue like MPP. I like The Lumineers, but I thought their appearance on SNL demonstrated how they get swallowed up on a stage bigger than Iota's. We no longer give artists time to cut their teeth and learn how to fill a room with their sound, command an audience for more than the hit song, and get them interested in something more. Artists would be well-served by the experience. Yes, the Lumineers have been playing for more than a few months, but they still don't have more than about an hour's worth of material. I wish we'd let artists grow into a venue like MPP instead of getting as much cash out of their fans as possible based on one hit song.
PANTS