Author Topic: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition  (Read 1443483 times)

azaghal1981

Re: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition
« Reply #780 on: February 05, 2013, 06:43:53 pm »
That is fair.
احمد

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #781 on: February 05, 2013, 10:58:10 pm »
so johnny marr is 20$?

that is not overpriced in my book.if tickets are available next time i'm at the club- probably jonathan richman- i'll get one

Even if you decide to nitpick on a few things, you will enjoy the evening.

Unlike what someone else posted the other day, I thought he was good when he played the Black Cat with the Healers. Would be nice if Zak Starkey is with him. Usually I'm not all that impressed one way or the other with drummers but he was one who blew me away. The man knows how to hold back when he should and bang it out when that is what is called for. Too many of them are all one level of bang and that's it. Johnny alone is a great guitar player and worth the night out regardless of who is with him.

hutch

« Reply #782 on: February 05, 2013, 11:03:02 pm »
so johnny marr is 20$?

that is not overpriced in my book.if tickets are available next time i'm at the club- probably jonathan richman- i'll get one

Even if you decide to nitpick on a few things, you will enjoy the evening.

Unlike what someone else posted the other day, I thought he was good when he played the Black Cat with the Healers. Would be nice if Zak Starkey is with him. Usually I'm not all that impressed one way or the other with drummers but he was one who blew me away. The man knows how to hold back when he should and bang it out when that is what is called for. Too many of them are all one level of bang and that's it. Johnny alone is a great guitar player and worth the night out regardless of who is with him.

Zak Starkey is one of the best drummers in rock period.

I just hope there are still tickets available when I go see Richman....

K8teebug

« Reply #783 on: February 06, 2013, 11:27:13 am »
Breeders..wow may finally see them.. I saw the Amps at the 930 Club in the 1990s.. to me they were the Breeders but....

yes yes, breeders.  we shall meet and have a beer and talk about . . . oh i don't know, what do people talk about?

Sad I will be out of town for the breeders.  their last show at the black cat was one of my favorites!

atomicfront

« Reply #784 on: February 06, 2013, 02:42:35 pm »
Does my thinking Beck's sheet music "album" is a stupid gimmick make me a Scientologist hater?
I also think Tom Cruise sucks at acting.

I wonder why people say scientology isn't a real religion as it just filled with unbelievable ideas and they are just after your money.  Isn't that true of every religion?

killsaly

« Reply #785 on: February 06, 2013, 03:19:16 pm »
RE: Metz
I would get tickets ahead of time.  Its only ten bucks, and will probably sell out.  I will probably be there as well.  They sound a bit like a mix of Dope Body with A Place to Bury Strangers. 

K8teebug

« Reply #786 on: February 06, 2013, 03:30:37 pm »
I hate sell out shows there.  ugh.

azaghal1981

« Reply #787 on: February 06, 2013, 03:33:17 pm »
I hate all shows there. Ugh.

Well, not the shows themselves; just going there.
احمد

Relaxer

« Reply #788 on: February 06, 2013, 03:42:56 pm »
Metz was my 2012 show of the year by a mile. They rock fabulously.

Hutch, why did you put the dollar sign after "20" in your Marr post? Are you a Canadian? You can tell me.
oword

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #789 on: February 06, 2013, 04:14:31 pm »

Why does everyone hate RNR so much? That area is striiideess better than it was a couple years ago. At least there's other bars and restaurants to go on that strip now and that street car construction is done finally.
‼‼?‼‼

K8teebug

« Reply #790 on: February 06, 2013, 04:25:57 pm »

Why does everyone hate RNR so much? That area is striiideess better than it was a couple years ago. At least there's other bars and restaurants to go on that strip now and that street car construction is done finally.

If it's sold out, you can't see anything, you can't get to the bathroom, get a beer, move at all. They oversell the heck out of that place.  I understand what it's like to be at a sold out show, but at least at the 930 and black cat, you can still relatively see  wherever you are and get to a bathroom that isn't totally dank and depressing.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #791 on: February 06, 2013, 05:01:20 pm »
I guess that's true, I usually don't have problems moving around in there, but sometimes it does get insanely crowded. I feel like it's no worse than Black Cat. The bar at RNR does fucking suck though.
‼‼?‼‼

azaghal1981

« Reply #792 on: February 06, 2013, 07:36:58 pm »
Security are stupid meatheads that feel as though they can push and shove their way anywhere and everywhere even in the most subdued crowds.
Sound is horrendous.
Shape of the room is inconvenient.
Still a pain to get to if you do not drive.
Plus all the politics that surround their ownership/promoters that have been talked about ad nauseam on this board.
احمد

hutch

« Reply #793 on: February 06, 2013, 07:49:50 pm »
Security are stupid meatheads that feel as though they can push and shove their way anywhere and everywhere even in the most subdued crowds.
Sound is horrendous.
Shape of the room is inconvenient.
Still a pain to get to if you do not drive.
Plus all the politics that surround their ownership/promoters that have been talked about ad nauseam on this board.

that about covers it... i would add to the shape comment that if a show is well sold you can't see anything.

it is absolutely an atrocious venue and I think supporting it is a bad move unless you're a masochist and want to experience more painful shows...

i went last year for the white denim show (I got there late and was in the back.. I feel like I was not at the show..that is how bad the venue is)... and i loved the upstairs deck and the mid level bar with a jukebox full of 80s metal...  but the room where the show was put on- the  street level room if you will-  was just horrible..when i go see a show sight lines and sound are the most important thing and this place gets an F on both counts.. I suppose if you get there early you could be up front and see but the sound would surely still suck and you'd be pretty much trapped...

somebody compared it to the black cat... its very different because the room is long and narrow at the RNR Hotel where at the black cat its much wider..

I feel fairly confident I will never go back there...

« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 07:53:30 pm by hutch »

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #794 on: February 06, 2013, 10:19:35 pm »
RnR sucks if you are not up front.

That being said I will get a ticket to Metz, just in case I don't catch them at SXSW.