Author Topic: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition  (Read 1443464 times)

James Ford

Re: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition
« Reply #870 on: February 19, 2013, 02:53:08 pm »
Do you think 50 year old married men are the typical fan at a She and Him concert?

They type of people who were at the She and Him shows at the 9:30...20something DC Fox tv watchers who go to one or two shows per year...typically don't have cars to get them out to a shed in the suburbs that's nowhere near public transportation.

Postal Service is popular enough to headline MPP? Really? How many top selling albums or singles have they had recently? Or ever had?

I realize the answer to the same question for Belle and Sebastian is 0, but they are sort or revered indie icons. Does Postal Service have the same status?

I'm guessing about 5k tops in ticket sales for those shows. IMP is making some interesting choices in summer bookings.

the pavilion holds 5200, so you're predicting that they won't even sell out the seats.  

i'll bet you a beer of your choice that both shows top 8000 tickets.

I would think Most shows do not sell out the pavillion at MPP.  Even if they have a pretty full lawn.  For example, Flaming Lips and MMJ didn't come close to selling out pavillion at their appearances at MPP.

As for James Ford he isn't very good at predicting crowd sizes.  He thinks She and Him/Camera Obscura won't even have 1000 people at Wolf Trap.  Even though it is pretty obvious they could sell out two 930 club shows and Camera Obscura on their own filled the 930 club when they played there in the past. so 3 x1400  = 4200.   Now you combine the acts and have it in a place where more people are likely to attend.  

I am hopeful that She and Him are playing Newport Folk Festival as a headliner.  But we shall see.

You really have no clue.  I go to a ton of shows and so does my wife and we both love She and Him and loved them before their was a fox tv show.  An excellant one at that. 

atomicfront

« Reply #871 on: February 19, 2013, 03:00:18 pm »
Do you think 50 year old married men are the typical fan at a She and Him concert?

They type of people who were at the She and Him shows at the 9:30...20something DC Fox tv watchers who go to one or two shows per year...typically don't have cars to get them out to a shed in the suburbs that's nowhere near public transportation.

Postal Service is popular enough to headline MPP? Really? How many top selling albums or singles have they had recently? Or ever had?

I realize the answer to the same question for Belle and Sebastian is 0, but they are sort or revered indie icons. Does Postal Service have the same status?

I'm guessing about 5k tops in ticket sales for those shows. IMP is making some interesting choices in summer bookings.

the pavilion holds 5200, so you're predicting that they won't even sell out the seats.  

i'll bet you a beer of your choice that both shows top 8000 tickets.

I would think Most shows do not sell out the pavillion at MPP.  Even if they have a pretty full lawn.  For example, Flaming Lips and MMJ didn't come close to selling out pavillion at their appearances at MPP.

As for James Ford he isn't very good at predicting crowd sizes.  He thinks She and Him/Camera Obscura won't even have 1000 people at Wolf Trap.  Even though it is pretty obvious they could sell out two 930 club shows and Camera Obscura on their own filled the 930 club when they played there in the past. so 3 x1400  = 4200.   Now you combine the acts and have it in a place where more people are likely to attend.  

I am hopeful that She and Him are playing Newport Folk Festival as a headliner.  But we shall see.

You really have no clue.  I go to a ton of shows and so does my wife and we both love She and Him and loved them before their was a fox tv show.  An excellant one at that. 

my wife is 35 so she is probably more typical.

Yada

« Reply #872 on: February 19, 2013, 03:02:25 pm »
It's unfortunate that M. Ward has to be noticed by the masses after pairing up with that annoying woman.

atomicfront

« Reply #873 on: February 19, 2013, 03:07:34 pm »
It's unfortunate that M. Ward has to be noticed by the masses after pairing up with that annoying woman.

you are annoying.  But I knew M Ward long before She and Him existed.  It is interesting that he might be the only one with talent in Monsters of Folk but he is the least famous.   

Yada

« Reply #874 on: February 19, 2013, 03:09:59 pm »

you are annoying.  But I knew M Ward long before She and Him existed.  It is interesting that he might be the only one with talent in Monsters of Folk but he is the least famous.   

I'll agree with your last sentence.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #875 on: February 19, 2013, 03:19:38 pm »
funny, cause she annoys me too.

(_|_)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #876 on: February 19, 2013, 03:40:34 pm »
Since most of the these festivals have the most interesting bands playing early or on second stages, it makes me wish FreeFest was a two day festival featuring just these bands without the big festival headliners.  September is also a much for reasonable time of year for a festival. 
T.Rex

reggie

« Reply #877 on: February 19, 2013, 03:44:48 pm »
M. Ward peaked in the three album stretch of Transfiguration/Transistor Radio/Post-War. The last two records, and all the She and Him stuff is zzzz.

James Ford

« Reply #878 on: February 19, 2013, 07:32:59 pm »
You nailed it totally with that one.

M. Ward peaked in the three album stretch of Transfiguration/Transistor Radio/Post-War. The last two records, and all the She and Him stuff is zzzz.

atomicfront

« Reply #879 on: February 19, 2013, 10:06:23 pm »
Since most of the these festivals have the most interesting bands playing early or on second stages, it makes me wish FreeFest was a two day festival featuring just these bands without the big festival headliners.  September is also a much for reasonable time of year for a festival. 

I agree freefest has better weather than most festivals.  They should make it a three day festival and charge for it.  That would keep out the riff raff and we could get better bands.

I think next year I might just do a festival in northern europe.. somewhere like Sweden where I don't have to worry about it being 100 degrees.

imbecile

« Reply #880 on: February 20, 2013, 10:35:35 am »
You nailed it totally with that one.

Even thinking about M. Ward makes me want to go to sleep.

shemptiness

« Reply #881 on: February 20, 2013, 12:32:03 pm »
I heard the Postal Service will no longer schedule gigs on Saturdays. 

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #882 on: February 20, 2013, 12:36:21 pm »
I heard the Postal Service will no longer schedule gigs on Saturdays. 

::) ;D

Yeah, but wait until you see their new swag next year!

eltee

« Reply #883 on: February 20, 2013, 08:54:01 pm »
Re: PS/DCFC I first thought Ben sounded like Kermit. Yet, I like both bands. Surprised they are popular among mainstream masses. Guessing they (those who love DCFC) have caught up on their catalog. and the PR surrounding PS shows/album obviously includes the DCFC name. Summer show at MPP fine, but I can't imagine them playing a large stadium any other time in the year...

eltee

« Reply #884 on: February 20, 2013, 08:57:56 pm »

I agree freefest has better weather than most festivals.  They should make it a three day festival and charge for it.  That would keep out the riff raff and we could get better bands.

I think next year I might just do a festival in northern europe.. somewhere like Sweden where I don't have to worry about it being 100 degrees.

not gonna happen in this area.
go to Iceland (Airwaves) or Ireland (Oxegen)