Author Topic: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition  (Read 1443772 times)

hutch

Re: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition
« Reply #930 on: March 05, 2013, 10:15:25 am »
From the Just Announced thread:
(Bold is mine.)

no Tommy Ramone at Jammin Java....

Sylvain Sylvain will be there...

Some of the saddest downfalls in music I've yet to see was when that guy from Abba had to resort to playing in his own cover band and now Sylvain Sylvain spends his Fridays nights at home (or somewhere undefined) posting on Facebook his "Rampage Of Songs". One night I noticed he was just posting away all kinds of YouTube links. Good ones (though I never bothered to click any of them) but loads of them, one after another. Didn't think much of it at all until he made some post thanking everyone for listening and to come back again next Friday for his "Rampage of Songs". Then another day I noticed him advertising this thing and realized that he was dead serious. In his mind, this is a standing gig for him. I actually felt embarrassed for the guy. Really pathetic.

are you saying he makes money if people click on the links?

i'm actually on sylvain sylvain's facebook or is it the new york dolls facebook that he runs? maybe we're talking about different things...and i kind of dig it...i like being connected to the guy i guess...

but then again i've been going through a major reevaluation of all things New York Dolls... the last and probably final "New York Dolls" album is real good in a 1950s sort of way...johansen's voice has really changed though

my take would be that I don't feel embarassed for Sylvain as much as sad and embarassed for the world... when you think about the contribution the New York Dolls made and how far ahead of their time they were, the little reward they obtained seems hardly fair...both in image and sound they were pretty much a decade ahead of everyone else and established the blueprint for much of 1980s popular music...

Relaxer

« Reply #931 on: March 05, 2013, 10:25:44 am »

To me it is a natural nine inch nails continuation.  You can definitely feel the "Trentness" of it, kind of like the stuff he did with Saul Williams.  I personally think it is great.

I'm glad you like it. My unsolicited impression is that Trent and his wife were sitting around listening to the Knife and decided, hey we could do that. I don't think it's bad but I just can't get over thinking, this has been done so much better. Maybe I just don't care for Trent's breathy vocals anymore.

Meanwhile, though they sound nothing alike and come from totally different places and have literally nothing to do with each other, Thurston's new band Chelsea Light Moving, is really scratching that Goo itch.
oword

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #932 on: March 05, 2013, 10:37:01 am »
@Hutch - Re: Sylvain Sylvain's "Rampage Of Songs":

^ I doubt he makes any money from it but I wouldn't know. Just looks like any other posting when someone goes on a roll of posting YouTube music links. The first time I noticed him posting about his "Rampage of Songs", I honestly thought that he was joking and taking the piss on himself about his music video frenzy. Never imagined he was serious about this and it apparently being a weekly thing. Really, I don't pay all that much attention to them other than reading what a few of them are. Lots of old stuff spanning the decades and it is mostly good stuff. Matter of opinions and all, of course.

Yeah, I do love that a lot of musicians are very accessible via some of the social networks. I'm not at all knocking that. Think it might be the NYDolls site rather than his personal; then again, I'm not paying all that much attention. Also, it's hard to tell now that Facebook has totally screwed up their distribution of what feeds one ever sees which pisses me off. I want all of them, not just the ones FB picks and chooses.

It appears that the guy has been relagated to trying to keep his music life going by spending his Friday nights trying to drum up some attention on FB by playing video host. This is a Rock legend, not a fan just having some fun with their knowledge and ability to string an interesting stream of videos along. It's also a Friday night. You think this guy would have gigs to play, people to schmooze, fans to dodge, women and men to fend off. I don't know, something other than what appears to be a desparate attempt at staying relevant. Maybe that's just my slant but it strikes me as being rather sad.

hutch

« Reply #933 on: March 05, 2013, 10:53:41 am »
@Hutch - Re: Sylvain Sylvain's "Rampage Of Songs":

^ I doubt he makes any money from it but I wouldn't know. Just looks like any other posting when someone goes on a roll of posting YouTube music links. The first time I noticed him posting about his "Rampage of Songs", I honestly thought that he was joking and taking the piss on himself about his music video frenzy. Never imagined he was serious about this and it apparently being a weekly thing. Really, I don't pay all that much attention to them other than reading what a few of them are. Lots of old stuff spanning the decades and it is mostly good stuff. Matter of opinions and all, of course.

Yeah, I do love that a lot of musicians are very accessible via some of the social networks. I'm not at all knocking that. Think it might be the NYDolls site rather than his personal; then again, I'm not paying all that much attention. Also, it's hard to tell now that Facebook has totally screwed up their distribution of what feeds one ever sees which pisses me off. I want all of them, not just the ones FB picks and chooses.

It appears that the guy has been relagated to trying to keep his music life going by spending his Friday nights trying to drum up some attention on FB by playing video host. This is a Rock legend, not a fan just having some fun with their knowledge and ability to string an interesting stream of videos along. It's also a Friday night. You think this guy would have gigs to play, people to schmooze, fans to dodge, women and men to fend off. I don't know, something other than what appears to be a desparate attempt at staying relevant. Maybe that's just my slant but it strikes me as being rather sad.

hmm.. i think we agree on a lot but i think its great if sylvain loves music and wants to share some links...he's just a regular guy who loves music... i don't think it has anything to do with staying relevant... he's obviously irrelevant...

i kind of think the fact he's still alive and kickin' is an achievement..the fact he hasn't dissapeared from the world even better... after all nolan, kane and thunders are all gone...

but it is sad....not sure how..but sad it is..

one of my all time favorite musicians andres calamaro would and still sometimes does share youtube video after video on twitter with his commentary... my guess is he'd get high on weed and just sit there lookign at youtube videos excited... to me thats real human... no pretense....he's from/in argentina..one year we exchanged tweets while i explained the world series to him as they show it down there on tv (and he was watching) but nobody knows anything about it....i guess as i get older i don't need my musicians on a pedestal and i realize i can interact with them ...and they are fairly regular people..

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #934 on: March 05, 2013, 11:11:19 am »
But see, there's a difference. What Calamaro is doing is random and purely on impulse. That I love. Have seen lots of musicicans and band sites (often run by a non-band member administrator) do things like that. As you mentioned, many musicians will also interact with the fans which is one of the beauties of social networking. I think all that is good for both the fans and the bands.

What Sylvain is doing is something else entirely. It's a standing gig he's committed himself to. I guess some appreciate it but it just hits me as a celebrity crawling around at Rock (pun intended) bottom and itching and scratching away at trying to come back up out of the hole. More power to him! I hope he makes it back up as it would be such a waste to let his talents fester away before he's gone for good.

killsaly

« Reply #935 on: March 05, 2013, 01:54:37 pm »
Holy crap snagging an Animal Collective ticket was easy.

fatskippy

« Reply #936 on: March 05, 2013, 02:16:41 pm »
Holy crap snagging an Animal Collective ticket was easy.

I was surprised by this too, still available. $25 was cheaper than I'd imagined.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #937 on: March 05, 2013, 05:38:34 pm »
that is because

animal collective sound horrible live.

azaghal1981

« Reply #938 on: March 05, 2013, 06:02:25 pm »
The few shows I saw were pretty great.

Especially the improvised segues between songs. I would be happier if they did a tour of instrumental and vocal improvisation exclusively and piece an album together from recordings of that tour than if they played written songs.
احمد

K8teebug

« Reply #939 on: March 07, 2013, 10:26:18 am »
Is the Morrissey presale on ticketmaster or ticketfly?  I'm confused.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #940 on: March 07, 2013, 10:38:29 am »
TM, I thought?

K8teebug

« Reply #941 on: March 07, 2013, 10:41:11 am »
yes, the ticketfly site takes you over to ticketmaster.  Thank you!

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #942 on: March 07, 2013, 10:41:35 am »
Can't decide whether I want to go  ???

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #943 on: March 07, 2013, 11:06:27 am »
Totally missed the Animal Collective pre-sale, just jumped onto the 930 site and was able to snag a pair in a breeze. Excited!
‼‼?‼‼

Vas Deferens

« Reply #944 on: March 07, 2013, 11:10:44 am »
you get tickets from your most vegetarian friend

Is the Morrissey presale on ticketmaster or ticketfly?  I'm confused.
(_|_)