Author Topic: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition  (Read 1456639 times)

atomicfront

Re: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition
« Reply #1155 on: March 26, 2013, 01:09:25 pm »
It Norway college is free.  Why can't we be more like Norway? 

because norway has a lot of oil and a government that is in the business of providing for its people.

the US has a little oil that is privately owned (and under-taxed) and its government is in the business of "ensuring liberties".

we have a lot more oil than Norway. Tons more.  We just like to drive in huge SUV's and have humongeous houses.  We like things big in america. 

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1156 on: March 26, 2013, 01:44:38 pm »
you're right about the amount of oil, the US produces 4 times more than norway.

what i was getting at is in norway, the oil is taxed at a high rate (under the philosophy that it belongs to all norwegians and taxes are the way that the people get their share), and those taxes are spent on the people - schools, health care, etc.

in the US, oil is seen as the property of the company that gets it out of the ground, and that company gets to keep most of that value (re: the obscene profits of ExxonMobil, ConocoPhillips, Chevron, etc)
<sig>

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #1157 on: March 26, 2013, 01:47:12 pm »
how do you people know all this stuff and still post on internet forums.  i post here . . . because i dont know nothing.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #1158 on: March 26, 2013, 02:13:10 pm »
how do you people know all this stuff and still post on internet forums.  i post here . . . because i dont know nothing.
It's the power of the troll.
‼‼?‼‼

vansmack

« Reply #1159 on: March 26, 2013, 02:26:48 pm »
Less then 7k a year?  That's absurd, no way are there any schools out there that cheap, unless it's a community colllege.

False.

California's State Universities Basic Tuition is $5,472.  Even with the student based fees most campus costs average around $7,000 per student, not including room and board, of course.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #1160 on: March 26, 2013, 02:37:51 pm »
Oil has very little to do with Norway's spending on education- you're focusing on the ins and not the outs.  It's a factor, but not a big one.

Education could be free in America if it were a Federal Priority, which it isn't and never has been.  How many times does the word "education" appear in the Constitution?  Education and it's funding has always been left to the States, which are the major contributors to K-16.

The US spends $711 Billion on defense, or 4% of GDP.  Norway spends $7 Billion or 1.7% of GDP.  A 1% shift in GDP in America would cover the tuition costs of every student in public higher ed.

But truthfully, being the world's policemen is an important job. 

A simpler solution might be that the US Government decided to direct PELL grants and tuition subsidies to public institutions only (like Norway does) and eliminate the privilege for private universities and for profit colleges.  That would make public universities free for every american and leave the option of the privates to use their endowments to do the same instead of relying on free Federal money.
27>34

atomicfront

« Reply #1161 on: March 26, 2013, 02:54:52 pm »
you're right about the amount of oil, the US produces 4 times more than norway.

what i was getting at is in norway, the oil is taxed at a high rate (under the philosophy that it belongs to all norwegians and taxes are the way that the people get their share), and those taxes are spent on the people - schools, health care, etc.

in the US, oil is seen as the property of the company that gets it out of the ground, and that company gets to keep most of that value (re: the obscene profits of ExxonMobil, ConocoPhillips, Chevron, etc)

I think Norway also believes in high taxes and high quality government.  I also found out that men get a minimum of 10 weeks paid time off when they become a father and women get a minimum of 46 weeks paid time off for maternity leave.  I think people in this country are foolishly worried about high taxes.  All that low taxes lead to are higher prices on things like houses.  Money is just paper and without a government it has no value. 

Anyway all of this shouldn't be in the just announced discussion thread. 

atomicfront

« Reply #1162 on: March 26, 2013, 02:56:20 pm »
Oil has very little to do with Norway's spending on education- you're focusing on the ins and not the outs.  It's a factor, but not a big one.

Education could be free in America if it were a Federal Priority, which it isn't and never has been.  How many times does the word "education" appear in the Constitution?  Education and it's funding has always been left to the States, which are the major contributors to K-16.

The US spends $711 Billion on defense, or 4% of GDP.  Norway spends $7 Billion or 1.7% of GDP.  A 1% shift in GDP in America would cover the tuition costs of every student in public higher ed.

But truthfully, being the world's policemen is an important job. 

A simpler solution might be that the US Government decided to direct PELL grants and tuition subsidies to public institutions only (like Norway does) and eliminate the privilege for private universities and for profit colleges.  That would make public universities free for every american and leave the option of the privates to use their endowments to do the same instead of relying on free Federal money.

Interestingly in the worlds history before television existed the worlds policeman would just take norways oil and cod and let them know they are lucky we let them off so easily. 

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1163 on: March 26, 2013, 03:19:53 pm »
This is weird.

Of Montreal
05-25 Frederick, MD - Flying Dog Brewery

full flying dog brewery summer lineup:

CONCERT: OF MONTREAL
Saturday, May 25
Tickets on sale Friday, April 26 at 9 am

CONCERT: DEER TICK
Saturday, June 15
Tickets on sale Friday, May 31 at 9 am

GONZOFEST
Saturday, July 20
Tickets on sale Friday, June 21
(Details TBD)

HARVEST PARTY
Saturday, September 14
Free and open to the public on the day-of the event
(Details TBD)

Interesting... are the shows at the brewery? Indoors or outdoors?

i haven't been to the brewery yet, but i'm assuming the shows are outside.  doubtful that they have enough room inside to host a show.
<sig>

killsaly

« Reply #1164 on: March 26, 2013, 03:22:36 pm »
saturday 27th 2 day festival details soon.
sunday 28th 2 day festival details soon.

SLDC has your details right here:
* Saturday, 27 April 2013 - Love Sound Music Festival - Day 1 @ Club K [2101 Maryland Ave, Baltimore, MD]: No Paris, Proper Procedure, Iopa, Pipe Smooking Rabbit, Queenswolf
&#149; Saturday, 27 April 2013 - Love Sound Music Festival - Day 1 @ Holy Underground [2021 Maryland Ave, Baltimore, MD]: Lizz King, Dazzlestorm, Glitter Lust, Abdu Ali, Big Dipper

* Sunday, 28 April 2013 - Love Sound Music Festival - Day 2 @ Club K [2101 Maryland Ave, Baltimore, MD]: Shroud Eater, Holly Hunt, At the Graves, Ophidian, Pallid
* Sunday, 28 April 2013 - Love Sound Music Festival - Day 2 @ Holy Underground [2021 Maryland Ave, Baltimore, MD]: Jeff Carey, Natural Velvet, Libyan Suite, the Sniffs, Lost Civilizations

or on FB: https://www.facebook.com/events/149728561856076/
Thanks! I should of known you would be on it. 
Ive only heard of one of those bands.  I will have a little research to do to see if I want to go.

stevewizzle

« Reply #1165 on: March 26, 2013, 11:04:30 pm »
Less then 7k a year?  That's absurd, no way are there any schools out there that cheap, unless it's a community colllege.

False.

California's State Universities Basic Tuition is $5,472.  Even with the student based fees most campus costs average around $7,000 per student, not including room and board, of course.

and how much does it cost to live in santa barbara or berkeley?

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #1166 on: March 27, 2013, 09:19:51 am »
lots and lots and lots

vansmack

« Reply #1167 on: March 27, 2013, 10:58:35 am »
and how much does it cost to live in santa barbara or berkeley?

Those are UC schools, not CSU's, but I get your point.  There are CSU's in many affordable areas of California, but I would argue that Berkeley and Santa Barbara are worth every penny.

27>34

killsaly

« Reply #1168 on: April 02, 2013, 07:59:11 pm »
Mudhoney
U Street Music Hall
Sept 23
I really hope this is not a late April Fools joke.  They are definitely on my must see at least once list. 

stevewizzle

« Reply #1169 on: April 02, 2013, 08:04:41 pm »
not an april fools joke