Author Topic: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition  (Read 1455706 times)

hutch

Re: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition
« Reply #1215 on: April 09, 2013, 09:50:35 am »
ain't no way in hell they are coming even remotely close to selling out the Fillmore....

atomicfront

« Reply #1216 on: April 09, 2013, 10:19:16 am »
ain't no way in hell they are coming even remotely close to selling out the Fillmore....

I have never been to the Fillmore before.  I thought FSS was the opening band.  Well I hope it doesn't sell out.  More space for me.

K8teebug

« Reply #1217 on: April 09, 2013, 11:16:21 am »
Has anyone ever seen them before?  I LOVE them, but have never gone to see them.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #1218 on: April 09, 2013, 11:29:01 am »
Has anyone ever seen them before?  I LOVE them, but have never gone to see them.

I doubt many in the US saw as an authentic version of the Specials as in now on tour.  They didn't tour much in the bad old 80s.  But the word from early UK gigs, is they are the real deal live. 

There were plenty of pseudo versions of the Specials that have popped up over the years... i.e The Special Beat, etc.
T.Rex

atomicfront

« Reply #1219 on: April 09, 2013, 11:46:08 am »
It looks like they played Coachella and two dates in NYC in 2010.  The three lead vocalists left in 1981.   I wish they would do some Fun Boy 3 songs in their sets.  Jerry Dammers and Neville Staple are not in the band but still super excited about finally seeing them. 

hutch

« Reply #1220 on: April 09, 2013, 12:32:14 pm »
the problem isn't so much that dammers isn't on tour but that by all accounts they've cut him out of the picture which isn't cool considering he wrote all the songs!

K8teebug

« Reply #1221 on: April 09, 2013, 12:35:16 pm »
Yeah, that is not cool.  I knew the lineup has changed, but didn't realize that.  Haven't kept up with it all since high school/college.  (which for me was LONG ago now)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #1222 on: April 09, 2013, 12:43:53 pm »
the problem isn't so much that dammers isn't on tour but that by all accounts they've cut him out of the picture which isn't cool considering he wrote all the songs!

Aren't there reports of mental instability regarding him?  It's well known he spent $500K working on that Special AKA record.

Update: who knows as clearly it's a he said / he responds matter

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2009/mar/04/jerry-dammers-specials-reunion
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 12:52:02 pm by kosmo vinyl »
T.Rex

hutch

« Reply #1223 on: April 09, 2013, 12:59:04 pm »

Aren't there reports of mental instability regarding him?  It's well known he spent $500K working on that Special AKA record.

I haven't heard any ... seems like a tall tale put out there to justify what is completely unjustifiable in my book...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2009/mar/04/jerry-dammers-specials-reunion

and the reply...something about him not having good people skills???

http://www.uncut.co.uk/the-specials/terry-hall-denies-forcing-jerry-dammers-out-of-the-specials-reunion-news

what i don't get is how dammers ever lost control of the name.. it was always HIS band as far as i know..

anyways, i'd still check it out if it wasn't at the fillmore and it worked out... even a specials band without dammers would be fun if you love the specials... but there's something wrong with this picture...

atomicfront

« Reply #1224 on: April 09, 2013, 01:03:12 pm »

Maybe Terry Hall can't get along with Dammers.  From what I have read Terry Hall said his original time in the Specials was the worst time in his life.   Since he took 2 guys with him to Fun Boy Three I am guessing Dammers was the original issue.

hutch

« Reply #1225 on: April 09, 2013, 01:07:18 pm »

Maybe Terry Hall can't get along with Dammers.  From what I have read Terry Hall said his original time in the Specials was the worst time in his life.   Since he took 2 guys with him to Fun Boy Three I am guessing Dammers was the original issue.

i am sure hall doesn't want him in...because he probably doesn't get along and because of money.... dammers would get a full share if he toured... i would guess in the current incarnation 2 or 3 get a full share with the rest being on retainer...

its cold business...but i'm not buying it that the door is open to dammers..thats just bullshit to cover your ass

hutch

« Reply #1226 on: April 09, 2013, 01:09:15 pm »
anyways atomic front...i'm surprised you're into seeing the specials who by your own yardstick are evidently has beens...

wait. did i just say i was surprised?

atomicfront

« Reply #1227 on: April 09, 2013, 01:24:25 pm »
anyways atomic front...i'm surprised you're into seeing the specials who by your own yardstick are evidently has beens...

I never said not to see has-beens.  I had a problem with a has-been charging 147 dollars to see his show.  And the problem is when some people only go to see has-beens and then criticize others taste in music.   I might see one of these shows a year. Then I go home disappointed and swear to never to go one to again.  Then someone else comes along and I am like they might be different.  And they turn out sucking yet again.  I guess I  never learn. 

But it is Terry Hall.  He has put out great stuff in the Colourfield, Fun Boy Three and his solo albums.  I would actually him do a career retrospective but you know what draws the crowds in.   

hutch

« Reply #1228 on: April 09, 2013, 01:27:12 pm »

I never said not to see has-beens.  I had a problem with a has-been charging 147 dollars to see his show.  And the problem is when some people only go to see has-beens and then criticize others taste in music.   I might see one of these shows a year. Then I go home disappointed and swear to never to go one to again.  Then someone else comes along and I am like they might be different.  And they turn out sucking yet again.  I guess I  never learn. 

But it is Terry Hall.  He has put out great stuff in the Colourfield, Fun Boy Three and his solo albums.  I would actually him do a career retrospective but you know what draws the crowds in.   

well... ok..but you better not like the show if you go... :D

Yada

« Reply #1229 on: April 10, 2013, 09:17:30 am »
Whatever happened to Ska?