Author Topic: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition  (Read 1455662 times)

vansmack

Re: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition
« Reply #1305 on: April 22, 2013, 12:03:39 pm »
i could say good for you, because that would be nice.  or i could say, ughh . . . more people on the planet.  not sure yet.

Sweetcell and sweetcellette are exactly who you should be encouraging to have children.

Consider the alternative:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icmRCixQrx8
27>34

reggie

« Reply #1306 on: April 22, 2013, 04:24:34 pm »
So I think there's no question that both MMJ and Wilco best days are gone. MMJ from Tennesee Fire to Z era was awesome and then they took a nosedive. Highly suspicious, WTF was that. 

Wilco seems to have lost a step after Ghost is Born but I think this pairing, shorter set times, combined with the fact that neither band is touring in support of a new release, might mean they play more "hits."

Not sure what cranky old Bob Dylan will do. I think his headlining sets have been shorter lately.

Yada

« Reply #1307 on: April 22, 2013, 04:56:28 pm »
So I think there's no question that both MMJ and Wilco best days are gone. MMJ from Tennesee Fire to Z era was awesome and then they took a nosedive. Highly suspicious, WTF was that. 

Wilco seems to have lost a step after Ghost is Born but I think this pairing, shorter set times, combined with the fact that neither band is touring in support of a new release, might mean they play more "hits."

Not sure what cranky old Bob Dylan will do. I think his headlining sets have been shorter lately.

I agree regarding MMJ. Their crappy last few records mixed with Jim James' douchey cape antics unfortunately has made me lose all interest in that band. Still love Wilco, but their shows are a bit monotonous.

shemptiness

« Reply #1308 on: April 22, 2013, 06:19:10 pm »
Wilco and Dylan sites also doing pre-sales Wednesday.

Edit: I guess I missed the SOME in SOME happen this Wednesday.

4/30 for MPP
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 10:54:09 pm by Shemp »

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #1309 on: April 23, 2013, 07:25:51 am »
what could possibly go wrong at a tour sponsored by Rockstar Energy drink?  other than being overcome by fumes from Axe products...
T.Rex

K8teebug

« Reply #1310 on: April 23, 2013, 08:44:06 am »

I thought Dylan's shows were getting better as of late.  I haven't seen him since the Ironbirds stadium with Willie Nelson and he was not the best that night.

I liked Wilco's last album, and they're always fun, but I agree that the last time I saw them I thought "I'm done".

Have never seen MMJ.

Still, it seems like a decent way to spend a Tuesday evening. I think I"ll be sad when I can hear the music at my house and I'm not there.  I put in for tickets with the Columbia Association...

James Ford

« Reply #1311 on: April 23, 2013, 09:09:30 am »
For me, Z is a desert island disc, Evil Urges was weak, and Circuital was strong and translated well to a live setting.

I also thought two of the last three Wilco albums were excellent.

Aren't you glad I told you this, instead of just giving you some critic scores?

I agree regarding MMJ. Their crappy last few records mixed with Jim James' douchey cape antics unfortunately has made me lose all interest in that band. Still love Wilco, but their shows are a bit monotonous.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 09:18:39 am by James Ford »

Relaxer

« Reply #1312 on: April 23, 2013, 09:24:58 am »
As in, sail your ship to a desert island, toss 'Z' onto the shore, and then sail away into forever? Oh, I agree.
oword

hutch

« Reply #1313 on: April 23, 2013, 09:29:43 am »
I just saw Bob last week in Richmond and I thought he sounded great....there seems to be a consensus that the performances are good of late..... he's reverted to a static set list for the first time in like 3 decades.. not sure if this is to break in the new guitarist... most of the set list is made up of songs from the past decade with only very occasional nods to past glories....of course his voice is pretty croaky... I love some of the new songs... Soon after midnight from his last album Tempest is a classic.

Everyone should see Bob Dylan one time....I've now seen him 20 times... ;D

I kind of hope Wilco closes the Merriweather show....I don't want to deal with an exodus of fans before Bob goes on or after a few Bob songs...of course depending on ticket prices I don't know if I'll make it..I've seen Bob three times the past 8 months and there are limits....

atomicfront

« Reply #1314 on: April 23, 2013, 09:39:56 am »
The only decent My Morning Jacket album is "Z".  I give credit to the producer John Leckie who seems to get the best out of bands.

For example he produced:

stone roses  s/t
radiohead - the bends
the fall - this nations saving grace
gene loves jezebel - immigrant

As for Wilco they are my most hated band of all time. And Bob Dylan can't sing.  Maybe the guy from MMJ could sing for him.  That would make the show more enjoyable for me.   

James Ford

« Reply #1315 on: April 23, 2013, 09:41:26 am »
Is Donnie Herron from BR549 still in Bob's band?

I just saw Bob last week in Richmond and I thought he sounded great....there seems to be a consensus that the performances are good of late..... he's reverted to a static set list for the first time in like 3 decades.. not sure if this is to break in the new guitarist... most of the set list is made up of songs from the past decade with only very occasional nods to past glories....of course his voice is pretty croaky... I love some of the new songs... Soon after midnight from his last album Tempest is a classic.

Everyone should see Bob Dylan one time....I've now seen him 20 times... ;D

I kind of hope Wilco closes the Merriweather show....I don't want to deal with an exodus of fans before Bob goes on or after a few Bob songs...of course depending on ticket prices I don't know if I'll make it..I've seen Bob three times the past 8 months and there are limits....

hutch

« Reply #1316 on: April 23, 2013, 09:45:25 am »

yes and he's a huge part of the sound.. hangs out kind of hidden behind Bob but he plays all kinds of instruments and really gives the songs their shading...really noticed him a week ago..

azaghal1981

« Reply #1317 on: April 23, 2013, 09:53:44 am »
Speaking of Roomrunner, a couple friends and I were debating last week whether or not their grungy sound was tongue in cheek or sincere. Knowing both Double Dagger's and Fan Death Records' sense of humor, I argued that they are clearly taking the piss while my two friends were convinced that they were sincere and dismissed them as a Nirvana knockoff. Thoughts from people who have seen them?
احمد

James Ford

« Reply #1318 on: April 23, 2013, 09:58:23 am »
He was the MVP of BR549. The band kind of fell apart once he went on to the greener pastures of Zimmermanville.

yes and he's a huge part of the sound.. hangs out kind of hidden behind Bob but he plays all kinds of instruments and really gives the songs their shading...really noticed him a week ago..

K8teebug

« Reply #1319 on: April 23, 2013, 10:05:46 am »
The only decent My Morning Jacket album is "Z".  I give credit to the producer John Leckie who seems to get the best out of bands.

For example he produced:

stone roses  s/t
radiohead - the bends
the fall - this nations saving grace
gene loves jezebel - immigrant

As for Wilco they are my most hated band of all time. And Bob Dylan can't sing.  Maybe the guy from MMJ could sing for him.  That would make the show more enjoyable for me.   

DO YOU EVEN LIKE MUSIC?

Seriously.  Go find some other place to be a brat.