Author Topic: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition  (Read 1456771 times)

Relaxer

Re: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition
« Reply #1335 on: April 23, 2013, 03:26:29 pm »
I love(d) Gene Loves Jezebel.
oword

azaghal1981

« Reply #1336 on: April 23, 2013, 09:24:24 pm »
Does this sound to anybody else like what some bro would call his penis?
Robert Plant Presents the Sensational Space Shifter
July 22
Wolftrap
Tickets on sale May 4th, 2013.
احمد

shemptiness

« Reply #1337 on: April 24, 2013, 08:39:36 am »
Did the club send an email for a pre-sale for the Wilco/Dylan/MMJ show?

Vas Deferens

« Reply #1338 on: April 24, 2013, 08:48:32 am »
no, there is no presale today.
(_|_)

shemptiness

« Reply #1339 on: April 24, 2013, 08:59:20 am »
no, there is no presale today.

Well, that really wasn't what I asked.  But thanks anyway. 

Vas Deferens

« Reply #1340 on: April 24, 2013, 09:07:12 am »
ah ok, I did not get one.
event is not on ticketfly yet.

wilco will have a presale on 4/30
I'm assuming they will use musictoday?

http://wilcoworld.net/#!/tour_date_type/23-july-2013-merriweather-post-pavilion-columbia-md/
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 09:09:17 am by Vas Deferens »
(_|_)

bearman🐻

« Reply #1341 on: April 24, 2013, 11:43:30 am »
Musician Ian MacKaye To Speak at the Library of Congress

Groundbreaking singer, songwriter and guitarist Ian MacKaye, co-founder of Dischord Records and a key figure in the development of punk and straightedge music, will speak at the Library of Congress on personal digital archiving and the need to educate creators and users in ways to steward our digital cultural heritage.

MacKaye will speak on Tuesday, May 7, 2013, at 6 p.m. in the Mumford Room of the James Madison Memorial Building, located at 101 Independence Ave. S.E., Washington, D.C. The event, sponsored by the Library?s National Digital Information Infrastructure and Preservation Program, is free and open to the public. No tickets are required.

sounds riveting..

Actually, yes...it does to me. Ian is a smart, funny, kind and worldly person with a brain in his head. Not to mention being one of the most ethical and un-greedy people in the business. I think most people could learn something from him.

atomicfront

« Reply #1342 on: April 24, 2013, 11:55:19 am »

Groundbreaking singer, songwriter and guitarist Ian MacKaye, co-founder of Dischord Records and a key figure in the development of punk and straightedge music, will speak at the Library of Congress on personal digital archiving and the need to educate creators and users in ways to steward our digital cultural heritage.

MacKaye will speak on Tuesday, May 7, 2013, at 6 p.m. in the Mumford Room of the James Madison Memorial Building, located at 101 Independence Ave. S.E., Washington, D.C. The event, sponsored by the Library?s National Digital Information Infrastructure and Preservation Program, is free and open to the public. No tickets are required.

sounds riveting..

Actually, yes...it does to me. Ian is a smart, funny, kind and worldly person with a brain in his head. Not to mention being one of the most ethical and un-greedy people in the business. I think most people could learn something from him.

What does he know; he is bald.

hutch

« Reply #1343 on: April 24, 2013, 12:30:12 pm »

sounds riveting..

OK first of all to each his own.. I already heard him yapping about this on the Kojo show so I have heard it... all he does is yap yap yap lately. he is a talking head more than a musician... everytime you look around its him talking about something like oh my god Ian MacKaye talking OMG

personally i find it boring and i think dischord and ian were the worst thing to happen to dc.... dc has still not emerged from that shadow..

Got Haggis?

bearman🐻

« Reply #1345 on: April 24, 2013, 12:49:46 pm »

sounds riveting..

So am I. Fuck you.

bearman🐻

« Reply #1346 on: April 24, 2013, 12:57:23 pm »

sounds riveting..

OK first of all to each his own.. I already heard him yapping about this on the Kojo show so I have heard it... all he does is yap yap yap lately. he is a talking head more than a musician... everytime you look around its him talking about something like oh my god Ian MacKaye talking OMG

personally i find it boring and i think dischord and ian were the worst thing to happen to dc.... dc has still not emerged from that shadow..

I really like those Evens records. Last I checked, he sang, wrote songs and played guitar in that band. As for the other stuff about DC being in his shadow, I think he has made important cultural contributions to the city and if you don't like the guy, then it probably is something more personal than anything else. He only chages 5 bucks for a show. EVIL! He only charged 10 bucks or less for records at a time when record stores were trying to charge $20 for a CD. Nobody says you have to listen to him. But as someone who always did what he believed in and took his career way beyond Minor Threat, I have infinite respect and appreciation for him. He's made the DC music scene far more vibrant, and if you don't think so then just look at the Dischord discography. Pretty damn impressive if you ask me.

atomicfront

« Reply #1347 on: April 24, 2013, 01:05:27 pm »

sounds riveting..

So am I. Fuck you.

Sorry that no one listens to you in real life.  It was a simpsons reference btw

hutch

« Reply #1348 on: April 24, 2013, 01:08:26 pm »

sounds riveting..

I really like those Evens records. Last I checked, he sang, wrote songs and played guitar in that band. As for the other stuff about DC being in his shadow, I think he has made important cultural contributions to the city and if you don't like the guy, then it probably is something more personal than anything else. He only chages 5 bucks for a show. EVIL! He only charged 10 bucks or less for records at a time when record stores were trying to charge $20 for a CD. Nobody says you have to listen to him. But as someone who always did what he believed in and took his career way beyond Minor Threat, I have infinite respect and appreciation for him. He's made the DC music scene far more vibrant, and if you don't think so then just look at the Dischord discography. Pretty damn impressive if you ask me.

DC hardly has a music scene Bearman...Dischord's heyday was nearly 25 years ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and its not just Ian..his sister handles bands, books Fort Reno etc...

If a DC band wants to make it today they head to Brooklyn.. there is no room in this town

atomicfront

« Reply #1349 on: April 24, 2013, 01:09:27 pm »
I am not a fan of Ian's music.  Did see embrace and fugazi a couple of times in Baltimore and you are right I never paid more than 5 bucks.  And one was an abortion rights benefit.   Saw the Evens for free.  He seems like a good dude.  And the Minor threat stuff isn't bad.  Dischord stuff in general is pretty boring.  I think back in the day all the good DC bands were on Fountain of Youth.  And Dischord was more of a clique than anything to do with talent.