Author Topic: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition  (Read 1456711 times)

atomicfront

Re: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition
« Reply #1350 on: April 24, 2013, 01:11:35 pm »
DC hardly has a music scene Bearman...Dischord's heyday was nearly 25 years ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and its not just Ian..his sister handles bands, books Fort Reno etc...

If a DC band wants to make it today they head to Brooklyn.. there is no room in this town

Probably the transient nature of DC.  Plus you have so many touring bands come in, it is probably hard for local bands to get gigs.  Baltimore's scene is probably in existence due to MICA.  I am sure if MICA didn't exist you wouldn't have all the great bands come out of here.  You need a major art college.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #1351 on: April 24, 2013, 01:12:41 pm »
I had a reactionary dislike for Ian/Minor Threat over the straight edge thing when i was a teenager.  I got over it.  That band is one of very few from that era that really holds up...miles better than 99% of the stuff from the early 80's.  And fugazi was a brilliant group.

And to say that dischord was horrible thing to happen to DC?  That's just stupid talk.  Sure it overshadowed a lot of great music, but, Scream, Soulside, Shudder to Think, Beefeater, Void, GI, Rites of Spring, there were a ton of great bands on Dischord.

hutch

« Reply #1352 on: April 24, 2013, 01:13:17 pm »
I have loads of respect for Ian MacKaye... but the Dischord scene..that's history man... that's old old shit... and yet I feel they crowd out new bands from coming on the scene... what has emerged in DC in the past 20 years???? Washington Social Club???

As far as Dischord and even Social Distortion.. you're talkign about a scene with its roots around 1980! We're going on 35 years!!!!!!

And the main problem with that scene is it just sucks all the fun out of music....

bearman🐻

« Reply #1353 on: April 24, 2013, 01:14:09 pm »
Musician Ian MacKaye To Speak at the Library of Congress

Groundbreaking singer, songwriter and guitarist Ian MacKaye, co-founder of Dischord Records and a key figure in the development of punk and straightedge music, will speak at the Library of Congress on personal digital archiving and the need to educate creators and users in ways to steward our digital cultural heritage.

MacKaye will speak on Tuesday, May 7, 2013, at 6 p.m. in the Mumford Room of the James Madison Memorial Building, located at 101 Independence Ave. S.E., Washington, D.C. The event, sponsored by the Library?s National Digital Information Infrastructure and Preservation Program, is free and open to the public. No tickets are required.

sounds riveting..

Actually, yes...it does to me. Ian is a smart, funny, kind and worldly person with a brain in his head. Not to mention being one of the most ethical and un-greedy people in the business. I think most people could learn something from him.

OK first of all to each his own.. I already heard him yapping about this on the Kojo show so I have heard it... all he does is yap yap yap lately. he is a talking head more than a musician... everytime you look around its him talking about something like oh my god Ian MacKaye talking OMG

personally i find it boring and i think dischord and ian were the worst thing to happen to dc.... dc has still not emerged from that shadow..

I really like those Evens records. Last I checked, he sang, wrote songs and played guitar in that band. As for the other stuff about DC being in his shadow, I think he has made important cultural contributions to the city and if you don't like the guy, then it probably is something more personal than anything else. He only chages 5 bucks for a show. EVIL! He only charged 10 bucks or less for records at a time when record stores were trying to charge $20 for a CD. Nobody says you have to listen to him. But as someone who always did what he believed in and took his career way beyond Minor Threat, I have infinite respect and appreciation for him. He's made the DC music scene far more vibrant, and if you don't think so then just look at the Dischord discography. Pretty damn impressive if you ask me.

DC hardly has a music scene Bearman...Dischord's heyday was nearly 25 years ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If a DC band wants to make it today they head to Brooklyn.. there is no room in this town

I think the problem with DC and artists in general is that if you want to be creative, it's hard to live here because it's too expensive. The music scene has changed but it exists.

hutch

« Reply #1354 on: April 24, 2013, 01:15:58 pm »
I had a reactionary dislike for Ian/Minor Threat over the straight edge thing when i was a teenager.  I got over it.  That band is one of very few from that era that really holds up...miles better than 99% of the stuff from the early 80's.  And fugazi was a brilliant group.

And to say that dischord was horrible thing to happen to DC?  That's just stupid talk.  Sure it overshadowed a lot of great music, but, Scream, Soulside, Shudder to Think, Beefeater, Void, GI, Rites of Spring, there were a ton of great bands on Dischord.

yeah.. a long long time ago.. what since??

They cast such a long shadow its like nothing else can emerge or something... they have BIG connections in town...

and where is the second or third generation of bands influenced by Dischord and taking it further?? there is nothing.. this is not the New York Dolls or the Stooges which gave rise to band after band....DIschord/straight edge was a self contained scene..still is that way...

bearman🐻

« Reply #1355 on: April 24, 2013, 01:16:04 pm »
I have loads of respect for Ian MacKaye... but the Dischord scene..that's history man... that's old old shit... and yet I feel they crowd out new bands from coming on the scene... what has emerged in DC in the past 20 years???? Washington Social Club???

As far as Dischord and even Social Distortion.. you're talkign about a scene with its roots around 1980! We're going on 35 years!!!!!!

And the main problem with that scene is it just sucks all the fun out of music....

Guess I'll just run out and buy a bunch of Girl Talk records then...  ::)

atomicfront

« Reply #1356 on: April 24, 2013, 01:16:13 pm »

I would say Government Issue wsa by far the best hardcore band.  I think most of their stuff was on Fountain of Youth.  Rites of Spring was good as well.  DIdn't care about Beefeater or Scream and don't konw the rest.

hutch

« Reply #1357 on: April 24, 2013, 01:16:38 pm »
Musician Ian MacKaye To Speak at the Library of Congress

Groundbreaking singer, songwriter and guitarist Ian MacKaye, co-founder of Dischord Records and a key figure in the development of punk and straightedge music, will speak at the Library of Congress on personal digital archiving and the need to educate creators and users in ways to steward our digital cultural heritage.

MacKaye will speak on Tuesday, May 7, 2013, at 6 p.m. in the Mumford Room of the James Madison Memorial Building, located at 101 Independence Ave. S.E., Washington, D.C. The event, sponsored by the Library?s National Digital Information Infrastructure and Preservation Program, is free and open to the public. No tickets are required.

sounds riveting..

Actually, yes...it does to me. Ian is a smart, funny, kind and worldly person with a brain in his head. Not to mention being one of the most ethical and un-greedy people in the business. I think most people could learn something from him.

OK first of all to each his own.. I already heard him yapping about this on the Kojo show so I have heard it... all he does is yap yap yap lately. he is a talking head more than a musician... everytime you look around its him talking about something like oh my god Ian MacKaye talking OMG

personally i find it boring and i think dischord and ian were the worst thing to happen to dc.... dc has still not emerged from that shadow..

I really like those Evens records. Last I checked, he sang, wrote songs and played guitar in that band. As for the other stuff about DC being in his shadow, I think he has made important cultural contributions to the city and if you don't like the guy, then it probably is something more personal than anything else. He only chages 5 bucks for a show. EVIL! He only charged 10 bucks or less for records at a time when record stores were trying to charge $20 for a CD. Nobody says you have to listen to him. But as someone who always did what he believed in and took his career way beyond Minor Threat, I have infinite respect and appreciation for him. He's made the DC music scene far more vibrant, and if you don't think so then just look at the Dischord discography. Pretty damn impressive if you ask me.

I think the problem with DC and artists in general is that if you want to be creative, it's hard to live here because it's too expensive. The music scene has changed but it exists.

that was not the case until about 2002!!!!!!!  and what brooklyn is cheap?

atomicfront

« Reply #1358 on: April 24, 2013, 01:17:25 pm »

I guess that is why there are no bands from NYC.  As it is too expensive to live there.  Wait a second there are a million bands from NYC.

hutch

« Reply #1359 on: April 24, 2013, 01:17:31 pm »

oh yeah..cause rock and roll is not meant to be about fun and partying.... guess the straight edge got to you man...

atomicfront

« Reply #1360 on: April 24, 2013, 01:20:13 pm »
I hardly think that DC music scene is dead because of Ian Mackaye.  THere were tons of local bands that weren't dischord back in the day:  Madhouse, 9353, Crippled Pilgrims, Velvet Monkeys etc etc.  Probably DC Space closing hurt the scene.  Nowhere to play where people want to hear local bands.

hutch

« Reply #1361 on: April 24, 2013, 01:21:39 pm »
I hardly think that DC music scene is dead because of Ian Mackaye.  THere were tons of local bands that weren't dischord back in the day:  Madhouse, 9353, Crippled Pilgrims, Velvet Monkeys etc etc.  Probably DC Space closing hurt the scene.  Nowhere to play where people want to hear local bands.

and I thinkn Ian MacKaye and the Dischord gang have something to do with that....his sister book bands for Fort Reno..they are all tight as shit with the Black Cat and 930...

You're more likely to see Dischord bands at the Black Cat than new bands..what is up with that?

bearman🐻

« Reply #1362 on: April 24, 2013, 01:22:31 pm »

oh yeah..cause rock and roll is not meant to be about fun and partying.... guess the straight edge got to you man...

LOL...not really, no. I just think Girl Talk sucks.

hutch

« Reply #1363 on: April 24, 2013, 01:25:03 pm »

LOL...not really, no. I just think Girl Talk sucks.

hey and you  know I agree with you on that..

hutch

« Reply #1364 on: April 24, 2013, 01:29:40 pm »
there's just a degree of self-promotion and self-importance to Ian MacKaye and the Dischord scene that just grates on me... so they are digitalizing every Fugazi show for download.... ypee , yes its really important to have that archive.. who is going to listen to them? oh but its history man its the history of DC music

yeah, exactly..its history and its been history for a long time now... what is next????

we could have had this same back and forth 15 years ago..nothing has changed....i'm not blaming ian mackaye and his cohorts entirely but at best one would have to say their scene has had no lasting impact on new DC bands..that to me makes their importance suspect.....