Author Topic: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition  (Read 1455304 times)

vansmack

Re: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition
« Reply #1470 on: May 09, 2013, 01:30:43 pm »
Maybe we'll get a surprise JT show again?

That would bring Smackie back.  JT has me growing my hair longer and walking around with untied bow ties....
27>34

killsaly

« Reply #1471 on: May 09, 2013, 02:06:03 pm »
Weird... The Black Cat website says otherwise (though they of course might be wrong).
http://www.blackcatdc.com/shows/future-bible-heroes.html
"FUTURE BIBLE HEROES
with Stephin Merritt, Claudia Gonson & Shirley Simms (of The Magnetic Fields), Christopher Ewen & Anthony Kaczynski"

Friday, 26 July
Future Bible Heroes
@ Black Cat

What??? I will be out of town that day.  Woah is me.

Their website lists Future Bible Heroes shows which don't feature Stephin Merritt-- So no word yet on whether or not he'll be at this show, but there's a distinct chance that he will not. 

yeah, the press release reads: "The live ensemble will consist of Claudia Gonson, Shirley Simms, Christopher Ewen, and Anthony Kaczynski."

"...Mr. Merritt is not going to achieve his stardom through big performances and world tours. In part because he has hyperacusis in his left ear, which makes him sensitive to loud sounds, he doesn?t like performing live. When he must, he plays acoustically, uses no monitors and plugs his ear during applause."
From NY Times

killsaly

« Reply #1472 on: May 09, 2013, 09:37:01 pm »
And this!
Friday, July 5th - The Mantles, Juan Wauters (of The Beets), and Foul Swoops
Black Whiskey

My bad, you definitely did post the info for the dc one (but not of the Baltimore show). I am not sure which one I will go to.  Saturday is much more appealing of a day to go out on for me. I know why you would prefer the dc one.  If i go it will be an after work thing.

Got Haggis?

« Reply #1473 on: May 10, 2013, 11:07:44 am »
Neutral Milk Hotel - NO PHOTOGRAPHY OR VIDEO WILL BE PERMITTED- INCLUDING CELL PHONES.

I really feel these types of polices are incredibly dumb.  Do they think they are Axl Rose or something?  It was the same way for Jeff Mangum

hutch

« Reply #1474 on: May 10, 2013, 11:13:36 am »
Neutral Milk Hotel - NO PHOTOGRAPHY OR VIDEO WILL BE PERMITTED- INCLUDING CELL PHONES.

I really feel these types of polices are incredibly dumb.  Do they think they are Axl Rose or something?  It was the same way for Jeff Mangum

the only reason i can understand it is that as a performer i think it would be very distracting to feel like you're performing for cell phones/cameras instead of feeling like you are making a connection with your audience... its weird to perform and feel like your audience is filtering it through cell phones and cameras they are looking through...

the 930 was horrible at the breeders show..i took three quick burst pictures (less than a few seconds) and the guard or whatever waved at me no.. i mouthed GOT IT and visibly put camera away..then they came back 20 minutes later and forced me to wade through the crowd go all the way to the 930 Club entrance and check in my camera....

cute bar tender bought me a drink later so everything is copacetic between the 930 and me...
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 11:16:54 am by hutch »

Yada

« Reply #1475 on: May 10, 2013, 11:42:24 am »
I love when idiots spend an entire show taking pictures on a piece of shit camera or cell phone that are nothing but giant blurs.

atomicfront

« Reply #1476 on: May 10, 2013, 11:46:55 am »
I love when idiots spend an entire show taking pictures on a piece of shit camera or cell phone that are nothing but giant blurs.

Yeah the idiots in front of me at Beach House did that.  I am thinking if you can't see well with your eyes how are you going to take decent photos and videos with your camera.  The lighting was awful at that show.

Here is a policy for the Neutral Milk Hotel show that I disagree with:  NO ALCOHOL IS ALLOWED.

I went to one show at 2640 space and someone showed up with a case of nattie boh that they thought they could bring in.  If you want alcohol bring a flask. 

Yada

« Reply #1477 on: May 10, 2013, 11:49:30 am »
Jeff Magnum is a nozzle.

Got Haggis?

« Reply #1478 on: May 10, 2013, 11:52:27 am »
yeah I guess that is a good point about people being annoying with cameras.....especially since i complained about the guy in front of me at the HTDA show that recording the entire thing on his phone - totally screwing up my sight lines

i used to go to shows at 2640 where they didn't care if you brought beer in or not (6 packs) - changed a few years ago

killsaly

« Reply #1479 on: May 10, 2013, 12:05:19 pm »
That sold out fast/crashed the mission tix site.

Got Haggis?

« Reply #1480 on: May 10, 2013, 12:05:50 pm »
did anyone actually get neutral milk hotel tickets?  i was freshing at 11:57 utnil they went on sale....magically site was slow, added 2 to my cart...then took about 2 minutes to update....cart empty and show sold out.  lol..terrible.  i like that missiontix are local...but they have a pretty shitty system.

gavroche

« Reply #1481 on: May 10, 2013, 12:08:40 pm »
did anyone actually get neutral milk hotel tickets?  i was freshing at 11:57 utnil they went on sale....magically site was slow, added 2 to my cart...then took about 2 minutes to update....cart empty and show sold out.  lol..terrible.  i like that missiontix are local...but they have a pretty shitty system.

I got nothing.  Page just didnt' even load.  Friend got to the check out and then crashed. 

atomicfront

« Reply #1482 on: May 10, 2013, 12:08:45 pm »

Well i had some in my cart as well.  I am sure the same thing would have happened if it were on ticket master or ticket fly.  Huge demand and very few tickets.

Got Haggis?

« Reply #1483 on: May 10, 2013, 12:09:58 pm »
as a web developer, its a fairly simple problem to solve - other sites use it as well...you just put each user into a queue and then pop them off as they buy tickets...keeps people from refreshing the site over and over

did anyone get tickets?  I don't know anyone that was able to score tickets online.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 12:14:45 pm by Got Haggis? »

atomicfront

« Reply #1484 on: May 10, 2013, 12:16:43 pm »
I actually got to the part where it asks you to verify you name.  I think that is step 3 in the check out process.  I had 3 minutes to finish that page and it came back erroring out.