Author Topic: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition  (Read 1455963 times)

James Ford

Re: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition
« Reply #1560 on: May 17, 2013, 12:54:53 pm »
I guarantee I drive far less that the average guy, but being completely reliant on public transporation (i.e. car-less) seems pretty limiting.

But we've had that conversation dozens of time on here. So forget it. CArry on.

You people need to buy a car, fer chrissakes. Or just go to shows in your own city. This aint Europe.

we get it, you like to troll... but any chance you could troll in a less environmentally irresponsible way? ;D

atomicfront

« Reply #1561 on: May 17, 2013, 01:05:28 pm »
195 to New York Avenue. There, you're in the city.
Wrong road, right idea.

From Maryland you have 295 South that has exits for 50 West (New York Ave) or 395.

The only 195 in Maryland that i know of is from BWI to Catonsville.

That still is a long way from downtown when you get off. 

atomicfront

« Reply #1562 on: May 17, 2013, 01:06:36 pm »
I guarantee I drive far less that the average guy, but being completely reliant on public transporation (i.e. car-less) seems pretty limiting.

But we've had that conversation dozens of time on here. So forget it. CArry on.

You people need to buy a car, fer chrissakes. Or just go to shows in your own city. This aint Europe.

we get it, you like to troll... but any chance you could troll in a less environmentally irresponsible way? ;D

I don't eat cows and pigs so that makes up for me driving my big european suv. 

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #1563 on: May 17, 2013, 02:17:16 pm »
Wrong road, right idea.

From Maryland you have 295 South that has exits for 50 West (New York Ave) or 395.

Not really.
‼‼?‼‼

atomicfront

« Reply #1564 on: May 17, 2013, 02:57:28 pm »
Wrong road, right idea.

Not really.

Half hour drive during rush hour.  I guess you haven't driven on it before.  Half hour drive if there is a basketball or hockey game starting. 

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #1565 on: May 17, 2013, 04:12:09 pm »
30 minutes isnt really that long. With all the track work and shit, it's beter than riding the metro. Seriously. The metro is fucked.
‼‼?‼‼

Yada

« Reply #1566 on: May 17, 2013, 04:25:07 pm »
Niiiiice... fashion patrol at the 930 club now for terribly dressed hipster chicks.

http://930club.tumblr.com/post/50671874750/show-style-father-john-misty-father-john-misty

I want to know what walky wears to shows.

I bet mandals (maybe tevas), cargo shorts, and a WSP tour tee.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #1567 on: May 17, 2013, 05:21:44 pm »
wsp tour tee . . . every show.  or moe.

i have a great ass . . . so i wear what pants shows it the best, but never jeans.  hate jeans.  shorts if it is hot outside, but only if they show off my nice ass.

skateboard shoes, because i cant grow up.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #1568 on: May 21, 2013, 01:12:41 pm »
Big Country with Mike Peters on vocals isn't what bugs me, it's that Tony Butler is missing in this line-up. He and the drummer Mark Brzezicki made up one of the greatest rhythm sections ever, beyond Big Country listen to Townshends "Empty Glass" and "All the best cowboys have Chinese eyes".   
T.Rex

Stillwater

« Reply #1569 on: May 21, 2013, 02:13:21 pm »
Are regular people (aka not avid concert goers) going to shows now at such a decent clip that fun., Imagine Dragons, Of Monsters and Men, The National, The XX/Grizzly Bear, The Lumineers etc. can all headline MPP the same year?  Are these bands filling the place up? Or is this just some new booking philosophy that Seth is trying out?

These all seem like 9:30 shows... D.A.R at the most.

hutch

« Reply #1570 on: May 21, 2013, 02:21:11 pm »
Are regular people (aka not avid concert goers) going to shows now at such a decent clip that fun., Imagine Dragons, Of Monsters and Men, The National, The XX/Grizzly Bear, The Lumineers etc. can all headline MPP the same year?  Are these bands filling the place up? Or is this just some new booking philosophy that Seth is trying out?

These all seem like 9:30 shows... D.A.R at the most.

I guess it comes down to the costs of making a show happen  at Merriweather vs. DAR...

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #1571 on: May 21, 2013, 02:42:00 pm »
A couple of those are very or fairly popular indie bands paired up, plus it's shed season, plus it's MFPP. So what if only ~5K show up. That's still way more than any theatre or auditorium in the area can hold. And it's probably cheaper for Seth to book them at MPP than at any of the other large venues.
😐 🎶

hutch

« Reply #1572 on: May 21, 2013, 02:43:51 pm »
A couple of those are very or fairly popular indie bands paired up, plus it's shed season, plus it's MFPP. So what if only ~5K show up. That's still way more than any theatre or auditorium in the area can hold. And it's probably cheaper for Seth to book them at MPP than at any of the other large venues.

that's what  think....

nkotb

« Reply #1573 on: May 21, 2013, 02:44:12 pm »
Plus, thanks to Facebook, I'm amazed at how many people go to so many mainstream shows.  I think it's easy to feel that hardcore show going is left to obsessives and elitists like some of the us here, but I can think of four or five people I'm connected to on Facebook that are constantly at MPP/Wolf Trap/etc.

Stillwater

« Reply #1574 on: May 21, 2013, 02:49:34 pm »
Yeah that all makes sense.

It's just so much tougher to get a grasp of the size of these bands these days...

One album, 2 catchy songs and you're playing an ampitheatre.