Author Topic: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition  (Read 1455413 times)

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
Re: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition
« Reply #1575 on: May 21, 2013, 02:49:54 pm »
Another thing is the increase in population. 930, Black Cat and Birchmere all moved to bigger digs and there are more venues than ever, but there is a serious dearth of medium size venues (say 2-5K) around here.
😐 🎶

showlistdc

• http://www.showlistdc.com
    • Comprehensive DC-area concert calendar
« Reply #1576 on: May 21, 2013, 03:00:03 pm »
Putting these two ideas together:

I can think of four or five people I'm connected to on Facebook that are constantly at MPP/Wolf Trap/etc.

One album, 2 catchy songs and you're playing an ampitheatre. 

I also know a lot of people who go to the MPP/Wolf Trap/Pier Six shows.  And it does take only a couple of hits for a lot of those people-- they know and like a couple of the songs, and it's just a nice chance to sit outside and enjoy a nice night with friends, with a band playing in the background.

This is not that dissimilar from what happens at smaller venues either-- We've all been to shows where people just talk the whole time, even through the headliner. (early shows at the U St Music Hall seem to be particularly bad for this, and people have mentioned IOTA on this board as well).  It ends up just being happy hour with a band playing in the background, which makes me wonder if people are actually there to see that specific band, or if they're just looking for a place to hang out with friends, and if they hear a couple of songs they know, then that's cool too.

Yada

« Reply #1577 on: May 21, 2013, 03:08:42 pm »
Yeah that all makes sense.

It's just so much tougher to get a grasp of the size of these bands these days...

Atomicfront's favorite bands.

atomicfront

« Reply #1578 on: May 21, 2013, 04:35:46 pm »

It's just so much tougher to get a grasp of the size of these bands these days...

Actually Lumineers and Of Monsters and Men have an entire album full of catchy songs. 

atomicfront

« Reply #1579 on: May 21, 2013, 04:41:54 pm »
Are regular people (aka not avid concert goers) going to shows now at such a decent clip that fun., Imagine Dragons, Of Monsters and Men, The National, The XX/Grizzly Bear, The Lumineers etc. can all headline MPP the same year?  Are these bands filling the place up? Or is this just some new booking philosophy that Seth is trying out?

These all seem like 9:30 shows... D.A.R at the most.

Of Monsters of Men and Lumineers tickets would sell-out in 10 seconds at DAR and would be going for 200 dollars each on stubhub.  Anyway different location.  I wouldn't go to see the National at DAR but I might at MPP.  Why would you think these bands are 930 club material.  Imagine Dragons sold out Filmore Silver Spring.  No way they would play 930 club.  Maybe you are out of touch.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #1580 on: May 21, 2013, 05:25:49 pm »

Actually Lumineers and Of Monsters and Men have an entire album full of catchy songs. 
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
‼‼?‼‼

Stillwater

« Reply #1581 on: May 22, 2013, 12:05:31 am »
Are regular people (aka not avid concert goers) going to shows now at such a decent clip that fun., Imagine Dragons, Of Monsters and Men, The National, The XX/Grizzly Bear, The Lumineers etc. can all headline MPP the same year?  Are these bands filling the place up? Or is this just some new booking philosophy that Seth is trying out?

Of Monsters of Men and Lumineers tickets would sell-out in 10 seconds at DAR and would be going for 200 dollars each on stubhub.  Anyway different location.  I wouldn't go to see the National at DAR but I might at MPP.  Why would you think these bands are 930 club material.  Imagine Dragons sold out Filmore Silver Spring.  No way they would play 930 club.  Maybe you are out of touch.

Dude that is the whole point of my question.  How are these bands getting so big so fast? I haven't said anything regarding their quality, but bands never used to play 18K person venues on one album. That's my question.

Yada

« Reply #1582 on: May 22, 2013, 08:56:17 am »

Dude that is the whole point of my question.  How are these bands getting so big so fast? I haven't said anything regarding their quality, but bands never used to play 18K person venues on one album. That's my question.

It's the ADD generation. These Grapes of Wrath hipster bands will be just a blip on the radar in a year or two and you'll never hear of them again.

wml7

« Reply #1583 on: May 22, 2013, 09:21:15 am »

It's the ADD generation. These Grapes of Wrath hipster bands will be just a blip on the radar in a year or two and you'll never hear of them again.

That's what they said about Mumford and Sons

Yada

« Reply #1584 on: May 22, 2013, 09:33:51 am »

That's what they said about Mumford and Sons

When did they blow up?? Late 10' early 11'? They're about due to be forgotten forever.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #1585 on: May 22, 2013, 10:08:23 am »
Of Monsters of Men and Lumineers tickets would sell-out in 10 seconds at DAR and would be going for 200 dollars each on stubhub.

Does OM&M have any new material to play? Have not been paying attention.

And I know the $200 is an exaggeration - they haven't even sold out the pavillion at MPP yet.

atomicfront

« Reply #1586 on: May 22, 2013, 10:53:25 am »
Of Monsters of Men and Lumineers tickets would sell-out in 10 seconds at DAR and would be going for 200 dollars each on stubhub.

Does OM&M have any new material to play? Have not been paying attention.

And I know the $200 is an exaggeration - they haven't even sold out the pavillion at MPP yet.

The prices were close to 200 dollars at 930 club.  I paid 105 dollars a ticket to see them from the balcony at Tower Theater in Philly.  Not an exagaration at all as they are even more popular now than when I saw them last year.  DAR is not equivialant to MPP.  A lot of people I assume have bought lawn seats. 

atomicfront

« Reply #1587 on: May 22, 2013, 10:54:20 am »

I guess you never heard of Madonna.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1588 on: May 22, 2013, 10:57:49 am »
Zac Brown of the Zac Brown Band

isn't that a little redundant?
<sig>

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #1589 on: May 22, 2013, 11:41:53 am »
The prices were close to 200 dollars at 930 club.  I paid 105 dollars a ticket to see them from the balcony at Tower Theater in Philly.  Not an exagaration at all as they are even more popular now than when I saw them last year.  DAR is not equivialant to MPP.  A lot of people I assume have bought lawn seats. 

Interesting.  Saw them for free twice last year, including the show at the Fillmore.