Author Topic: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition  (Read 1456661 times)

hutch

Re: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition
« Reply #1935 on: August 07, 2013, 11:49:36 am »
my theory on Brian Wilson, and its not mine alone, is that he really doesn't know what he's doing and is being trotted out there on permanent tour by people benefitting from his work.... on some of the Beach Boys shows he looked like he wasn't there... on some shows he looks frightened... I don't think he ever recovered from the late 60s/early 70s...

killsaly

« Reply #1936 on: August 07, 2013, 11:51:53 am »
I'm sorry but hate Jeff Beck? how is that possible?
Why wouldnt that be possible?  Im going to guess if i posted a list of the artists i dislike, I would get similar responses... Not everyone likes the same music.

hutch

« Reply #1937 on: August 07, 2013, 11:54:23 am »
Why wouldnt that be possible?  Im going to guess if i posted a list of the artists i dislike, I would get similar responses... Not everyone likes the same music.
dislike ok.. hate .. not so much..

because its like saying "I hate genius"

how can you hate such an amazing guitarist?

I mean I don't like all genius but I recognize it and give props to it.. i don't say "I fuckin' hate you , you genius guitar player"

Jeff Beck is seriously seriously good... moreover, as a person, he's been quite principled... no sell out in that guy...

atomicfront

« Reply #1938 on: August 07, 2013, 12:38:53 pm »
my theory on Brian Wilson, and its not mine alone, is that he really doesn't know what he's doing and is being trotted out there on permanent tour by people benefitting from his work.... on some of the Beach Boys shows he looked like he wasn't there... on some shows he looks frightened... I don't think he ever recovered from the late 60s/early 70s...

I think he is schizophrenic and on heavy  medication. 

atomicfront

« Reply #1939 on: August 07, 2013, 12:41:19 pm »
dislike ok.. hate .. not so much..

because its like saying "I hate genius"

how can you hate such an amazing guitarist?

I mean I don't like all genius but I recognize it and give props to it.. i don't say "I fuckin' hate you , you genius guitar player"

Jeff Beck is seriously seriously good... moreover, as a person, he's been quite principled... no sell out in that guy...

I don't like Jeff Beck's music.  If he is so great of a guitarist why is all his music so boring.  Being able to play a ton of notes really quickly doesn't make you a good guitarist.  I feel he is overrated because he used to be in the Yardbirds and Jimmy Page and Eric Clapton were in the Yardbirds so it makes a better story if all three are great.  The edge might not be able to play everything Jeff Beck can but to me is a hundred times better at playing the guitar as he makes good music. 

When I say I hate Jeff Beck I mean Jeff Beck's music. I don't have anything against him as a person.

« Reply #1940 on: August 07, 2013, 05:09:07 pm »

one who lives in glass house, shouldn't throw stones
slack

atomicfront

« Reply #1941 on: August 07, 2013, 05:37:00 pm »

one who lives in glass house, shouldn't throw stones

That makes no sense at all.  First off I am not throwing stones.  Second I am not under any medications and do not have mental illnesses.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #1942 on: August 07, 2013, 05:39:18 pm »
you really should have one or two.  they make great conversational pieces.

« Reply #1943 on: August 08, 2013, 08:44:43 am »
Marky Ramone's Blitzkrieg with Andrew W.K. on Vocals
10/2
9:30

Haven't see any commentary on this
sound like a good idea or a sacrilege?
slack

atomicfront

« Reply #1944 on: August 08, 2013, 09:35:04 am »
Marky Ramone's Blitzkrieg with Andrew W.K. on Vocals
10/2
9:30

Haven't see any commentary on this
sound like a good idea or a sacrilege?

They aren't touring under the name "The Ramones" so I don't have a problem with it. 

DotTheEyes

« Reply #1945 on: August 08, 2013, 12:29:17 pm »
Going to put this here, even if it is not the precise right place:  has anyone ever used the lot across from the club?  I believe it is operated by a nearby restaurant (Wilson's?).  How much do they charge?  Any information is much appreciated.

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #1946 on: August 08, 2013, 12:46:04 pm »
i did once, before i found out how easy and cheap/free street parking is around the corner

it was $20, but it was a sold out show so maybe that was more than usual.

either way, not worth it at all

killsaly

« Reply #1947 on: August 08, 2013, 12:48:07 pm »
I always park for free on the street for 930 shows.  The only time i didnt was the first time I went to the club and I didnt know any better. 

DotTheEyes

« Reply #1948 on: August 08, 2013, 12:56:24 pm »
I have always used the club's lot (or garages in general when in D.C.) because I am a naive Southern Marylander mystified by the street signs and their various arrows and time frames and their threats of ticketing and towing.

Though it's my recent understanding parking is fine after 6:30 on the street by the side of the club, where the entrance to their lot is.

« Reply #1949 on: August 08, 2013, 01:03:14 pm »
I always park for free on the street for 930 shows.  The only time i didnt was the first time I went to the club and I didnt know any better. 

Been going to 930 since it opened on Vst and never paid for parking.  But, I will remember a great quote from a guy at the old Capital Ballroom about their pay parking vs finding free street parking.

"in here it's Park and Pay out there it's Park and Pray"

I will say with all the new clubs/restaurants close to 9:30....parking is getting a little harder to find, but not impossible.  Metro is right there too...so you can always take that in
slack