Author Topic: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition  (Read 1456524 times)

hutch

Re: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition
« Reply #2115 on: September 29, 2013, 01:59:47 pm »
Tricky @ U Street Music Hall was delayed and is now canceled.

Tricky will have to cancel some of the dates on his US tour due to further visa problems.

The tour will now start in San Francisco at the Treasure Island Festival and conclude with a re-arranged date in New York on October 26.

Tricky has some juvenile offences for joyriding and forgery of the crown and the US authorities require full disclosure before granting any visas. The new hold-up has been in getting this information from the UK police authorities.

http://www.trickysite.com/us-tour-delayed-apologies/

I guess he is promising to come to the US again in 2014 but if ticket sales for DC were soft, and I'm guessing they were if he couldn't even sell out U Street Hall after being on sale for like six months, he may not visit DC  again.

All of which is a real shame as his new album is superlative.

Its very amusing to me how much people fawn over Maxinquaye...yes, its good.. but there is so much Tricky that is good.. and so much that is better than Maxinquaye....but you can't argue with them critics..they tell you what to like and the sheeple follow and then abandon as told to.... its funny because in the rest of the world if an artist is succesful people stick with them..but in the US there is a very short cycle and then you're "old"...

DotTheEyes

« Reply #2116 on: September 29, 2013, 05:04:54 pm »
I wonder if many people had tickets to see him, Example, and How to Dress Well--all scheduled to play U Street this fall, all canceled now.  I imagine there is a healthy level of overlap between their respective fan bases, at least with Example and Tricky certainly.

Relaxer

« Reply #2117 on: September 30, 2013, 09:40:09 am »
Tricky has a horrible reputation for being shitty live and his albums since Maxinquaye have been extremely inconsistent. He treats his audience and fans like crap and this is what happens when the quality of your music falls. Besides, Max got all that attention because it was seen as groundbreaking at the time.

And hutch, you're an out-of-touch doofus if you really think people still follow rock critics. Name one current critic who has any kind of platform. (And speaking of "sheeple" how about you stop using a dumb meme word that simply illustrates you following the pack of dipshits).
oword

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #2118 on: September 30, 2013, 09:47:26 am »
Name one current critic who has any kind of platform.
Michael Azerrad. Chuck Klosterman. Alex Ross. Stephen Hyden.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 09:50:19 am by Julian, Former Weblebrity »
LVMH

Relaxer

« Reply #2119 on: September 30, 2013, 09:53:15 am »
LOL
Apart from Ross, those are some very lazy, simplistic choices Julian. The main gig for half of them is writing for a Sports site.
But I guess if you're influenced by Chuck Klosterman, then that's your choice.
Chuck Klosterman.
oword

Relaxer

« Reply #2120 on: September 30, 2013, 09:55:22 am »
"Here is a review of Dokken's second album where I spend 3,400 words talking about my ex-girlfriends and that time in the early 90s when I was king dick at SPIN Magazine!"
oword

Relaxer

« Reply #2121 on: September 30, 2013, 09:57:00 am »
The Public: OOOH YES CHUCK I SHALL VOTE WITH MY DOLLARS THANK YOU FOR YOUR SHEEPISH WISDOM AND CUTIE PATOOTIE BANGS
oword

« Reply #2122 on: September 30, 2013, 10:00:25 am »
LOL
Apart from Ross, those are some very lazy, simplistic choices Julian. The main gig for half of them is writing for a Sports site.
But I guess if you're influenced by Chuck Klosterman, then that's your choice.
Chuck Klosterman.
Hyden is the only person there whose "main gig" is writing for a "Sports" site. (And Grantland.com is basically a portal to two sites: a sports one [The Triangle] and a culture one [Hollywood Prospectus].)

Klosterman writes about 3 articles a year at this point for Grantland, which is probably about 10% of his output at this point, at most. Not to mention he averages one book a year too. I'm completely unaware of Michael Azerrad at any time writing for a sports website, but perhaps you can enlighten me.

I'm not even disagreeing with your assessment of these individuals but they are undoubtedly current music critics who have "any kind of platform." I'm sure if I was the kind of person who subscribed to Rolling Stone, Spin, or Paste, I could list you a handful more. The lazy, simplistic thing was your hyperbolic statement.
LVMH

Relaxer

« Reply #2123 on: September 30, 2013, 10:05:58 am »
Gotcha. I see where you are coming from and now I'm off to read Chuck Klosterman's recent article on breastfeeding to see what my musical purchases should be going forward.
oword

« Reply #2124 on: September 30, 2013, 10:08:06 am »
Gotcha. I see where you are coming from and now I'm off to read Chuck Klosterman's recent article on breastfeeding to see what my musical purchases should be going forward.
Well his new book is called I Wear The Black Hat so I'm guessing you're supposed to buy a Jay Z record.
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #2125 on: September 30, 2013, 11:24:14 am »

Critics in the US have been saying that Tricky lost the plot for years... that he has never come close to doing anything as good as Maxinquaye...

well, that takes its toll after 15 years or so..and I'm here to tell you its just not so... Maxinquaye was not that amazing and the stuff that followed is not that bad.. in some cases its as good or better....

you combine that with the fact that in the US when people settle down they virtually stop listening to music and that people think anything that has been around a while  can't be good (with notable exceptions).. and yes,  Tricky is playing a very scaled down tour in the US

and I'm sorry but I don't buy it that reviews/critics have no influence... maybe its not David Fricke at Rolling Stone anymore.. maybe its more fragmented... maybe its more websites... but sure, people still have to be interested to bother to listen even if its for free...buzz still has to be created.. you have to first hear about a band/musician somewhere

killsaly

« Reply #2126 on: September 30, 2013, 11:55:46 am »
The Black Cat Sebadoh show is at the Backstage?  I should probably get my ticket sooner than later.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #2127 on: September 30, 2013, 01:01:14 pm »
And to allow you the balance that mollifies the soul, please know my dear ratbastard that I do not love you, I hate you. Be ill, my enemy. Stay weak, gum at the bottom of my shoe. You are weaker than depression, my sweet shitbag. 

you must be suffering in life . . . as well.  its ok, relaxer, there is enough love in the world for you, too.

« Reply #2128 on: October 01, 2013, 01:18:35 pm »
Hayden
11/12
DC9

can't believe I missed this

I was going to do a Hey Seth on him
as he was coming so close and was bummed he didn't have a dc date
slack

killsaly

« Reply #2129 on: October 02, 2013, 09:29:41 pm »
Celebration plays NYC and tours Europe.  I imagine they have a better time performing in Baltimore which is their home, than DC. The crowds at Baltimore Celebration shows are full of their friends and family, all completely into it.  No talking, none of the lame DC behavior (including standing around with hands in pockets).  I have seen them around eight times so far, and each time was magical.  They never disappoint, from free street festivals (Hampdenfest) to small art gallery/venues (Metro Gallery)... Celebration dropped their label and then decided to release everything for free, and the physical versions through Friends Records.  The band does NOT want to tour all the time, which is one reason they had a falling out with 4AD and went the independent route. Dont you live in this area?  If you are as big a fan as you say you are, I would suggest going to Baltimore. 
your paragraph was the best way to describe the band and who they are to people on here who are going, who the fuck is celebration.  but baltimore?  really?  god, dare i say it?  uhh.  go on celebration . . . play nissan or ev en patriot.  oh god, i would die.
I dont see either of those places in Celebration's future, but I guess anything is possible. I would much rather see them in an intimate venue, and not either of the ones you mentioned. I understand for you those are convienient, but I don't know if either would be right for the true Celebration experience.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 09:48:18 pm by killsaly »