Author Topic: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition  (Read 1456683 times)

StoneTheCrow

Re: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition
« Reply #2190 on: November 05, 2013, 04:16:47 pm »
Diarrhea Planet is a tremendously fun live band 

New album is really good, too.  Definitely going this time and leaving wifey at home.

Regardng the name....my parents couldn't get past band names like Killing Joke or Dead Kennedys.  Guess I haven't reached that point yet.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 04:26:41 pm by StoneTheCrow »

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #2191 on: November 05, 2013, 04:49:50 pm »
A bargain at $300.

Between this:

and this:

Why don't they just call it the Musical Tourism Tour? 

RESPECT!

I'd rather see Garfunkel tour with with Summers and Copeland.  Ah, Baby Boomers....when they all die?

Brian

Yada

« Reply #2192 on: November 05, 2013, 05:04:29 pm »
You're so edgy, Brian.

atomic

« Reply #2193 on: November 05, 2013, 06:33:40 pm »
Paul Simon and Sting will reportedly announce a major joint tour tomorrow.

can't wait to see what ticket prices will be like on this one.  $500 floors & lowers?

Me and a friend made a ton of cash back in the 80's  at the Sting MPP show.  Told people was sold out and sold them tickets and then with the proceeds bought more tickets to scalp.  I didn't have a job at the time so all that money came in handy.  I hate Sting's music but I do appreciate his fans are so stupid.  I guess he has realized the same and is taking out the middle man.

« Reply #2194 on: November 06, 2013, 01:20:37 pm »
Me and a friend made a ton of cash back in the 80's  at the Sting MPP show.  Told people was sold out and sold them tickets and then with the proceeds bought more tickets to scalp.  I didn't have a job at the time so all that money came in handy.  I hate Sting's music but I do appreciate his fans are so stupid.  I guess he has realized the same and is taking out the middle man.

Bragging about scalping...good way to make friends here
oh wait, you don't want to, so I guess you have achieved your goal
slack

atomic

« Reply #2195 on: November 06, 2013, 03:26:53 pm »

I was 19 at the time.  It was Sting fans so it makes it ok. ?  Scalping is only cheating if you have an unfair advantage to getting tickets. If I go up to the box office and buy tickets and then instantly sell them to someone in the parking lot I am providing them with a service.  They could have gone up to the box office themselves and bought tickets. I saved them from getting out of their car.

Anyway I thought people would appreciate my business smarts.   Also I spent some of the proceeds at a 930 club show that same night. 

As for friends I don't hang out with people who like Queens of the Stone Age and Pearl Jam.  Or people who feel superior to others because they drink beer that is in short supply.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 03:29:45 pm by atomic »

« Reply #2196 on: November 06, 2013, 06:31:20 pm »

I was 19 at the time.  It was Sting fans so it makes it ok. ?  Scalping is only cheating if you have an unfair advantage to getting tickets. If I go up to the box office and buy tickets and then instantly sell them to someone in the parking lot I am providing them with a service.  They could have gone up to the box office themselves and bought tickets. I saved them from getting out of their car.

Anyway I thought people would appreciate my business smarts.   Also I spent some of the proceeds at a 930 club show that same night. 

As for friends I don't hang out with people who like Queens of the Stone Age and Pearl Jam.  Or people who feel superior to others because they drink beer that is in short supply.

I guess I should have said that different...
If you just want to be a dick (and brag about it), you have achieved your goal.

bravo
encore please (only have to wait a few minutes for that)
slack

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #2197 on: November 06, 2013, 06:38:38 pm »
so many of them, all on the same page.  fascinating.

atomic

« Reply #2198 on: November 06, 2013, 07:29:20 pm »

I guess I should have said that different...
If you just want to be a dick (and brag about it), you have achieved your goal.

bravo
encore please (only have to wait a few minutes for that)

I don't see how I was a dick.  I was an unemployed teenage college student.   I made money off of people at a Sting show to go to a show I actually wanted to see.   I did sell tickets to Panda Bear at the Ottobar as I decided I didn't want to go when I saw how much people were willing to pay for them. It was a win-win.  I got money for a show that I didn't think was worth 75 bucks to see and someone got to see them who thought it was worth that much.  It was worth the original 15 dollars I paid for tickets though.   Everyone has their price to give up tickets. 

hutch

« Reply #2199 on: November 07, 2013, 09:16:16 am »
scalper rationale 101 "I was providing a service to someone who needed it...doing them a favor!"

anyways times have changed and now everyone is a scalper on stubhub...its rather weird... but the anything is ok as long as there is money rationale now justifies scalping for pretty much everyone...if you're trying to buy tickets for a sold out show on ticketmaster i think they now even direct you to scalper sites!

i wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people on this board are reselling tickets to pay for their concerts..

America has changed a lot since the early/mid 1980s.. in some ways for the better (tolerance) but in some ways worse..

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #2200 on: November 07, 2013, 10:25:54 am »
It's the "shareholders come first" mentality (and law).
😐 🎶

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #2201 on: November 07, 2013, 10:59:19 am »
Anyone who is anti-scalping is a mental midget. If you buy a couch for $800 and all of a sudden, people want to give you $2000 for the couch, no one on here has a moral objection to that. Its illogical to be opposed to selling things for more than they cost you. Its how supermarkets and Apple and pharmacies and virtually every other business on earth functions. But if you do this with a ticket to a concert, everyone on here gets all moral relativistic and wants to talk about the unspecified WRONGNESS of this, which is absurd. It's absurd.

Food is a necessary item. Without it, people will die. And yet no one has a problem with Kroger buying apples in bulk for 10 cents an apple and marking them up 5 times as much for consumers because we acknowledge they're a business. But if someone does this with an utterly inessential luxury good (which is truly what a concert ticket is) they're a horrible person. Its an astoundingly indefensible position.
LVMH

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #2202 on: November 07, 2013, 11:03:00 am »
If there's anything that's frustrated me about this community throughout the years its the fact that there are so many relatively intelligent people on here who have a collective blindspot to their own illogicality with regard to people reselling tickets because, like, "music is sacred, man."

And I say this as someone who does not sell tickets for more than face value personally and has, in fact, given several people on here free extra tickets to shows.
LVMH

James Ford

« Reply #2203 on: November 07, 2013, 11:03:15 am »
I'm with Julian on this.

Though I can honestly say I can count the number of times I've scalped tickets in my 46 years on one hand. (I don't think I've ever bought anything above face value. As if i needed to say that.)

Anyone who is anti-scalping is a mental midget. If you buy a couch for $800 and all of a sudden, people want to give you $2000 for the couch, no one on here has a moral objection to that. Its illogical to be opposed to selling things for more than they cost you. Its how supermarkets and Apple and pharmacies and virtually every other business on earth functions. But if you do this with a ticket to a concert, everyone on here gets all moral relativistic and wants to talk about the unspecified WRONGNESS of this, which is absurd. It's absurd.

Food is a necessary item. Without it, people will die. And yet no one has a problem with Kroger buying apples in bulk for 10 cents an apple and marking them up 5 times as much for consumers because we acknowledge they're a business. But if someone does this with an utterly inessential luxury good (which is truly what a concert ticket is) they're a horrible person. Its an astoundingly indefensible position.

atomic

« Reply #2204 on: November 07, 2013, 11:31:54 am »
scalper rationale 101 "I was providing a service to someone who needed it...doing them a favor!"

anyways times have changed and now everyone is a scalper on stubhub...its rather weird... but the anything is ok as long as there is money rationale now justifies scalping for pretty much everyone...if you're trying to buy tickets for a sold out show on ticketmaster i think they now even direct you to scalper sites!

i wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people on this board are reselling tickets to pay for their concerts..

America has changed a lot since the early/mid 1980s.. in some ways for the better (tolerance) but in some ways worse..

Plus I have gotten really good prices on tickets from scalpers.  If you wait 3 hours before the show you will be suprised how low you can get tickets on stubhub for shows that sellout in seconds.