Author Topic: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition  (Read 1456097 times)

Re: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition
« Reply #2205 on: November 07, 2013, 11:38:52 am »
I know it's all about supply and demand....so by logic tickets should be swooped up by who ever can get them the fastest and sold to the highest bidder.

But to me it is ART and we are fans. it's not a couch or an apple.
I think fans should look out for each other and not try to profit off each other
That's just me...call me a pinko if you like
You are certainly free to rape and pillage fans at will ...but I will still give you a dirty look and hold you in lower regard

I do think this modern era of StubHub and legalized scalping kinda sucks and fans pretty much lose out to opportunist capitalists.

I think Atomic was especially dickish by actually marking up tickets to a show that wasn't sold out based on the poor choice in music and his inability to get a job as justification.  But all his other posts make me think he is a dick all around, so that just seals the deal for me.
slack

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #2206 on: November 07, 2013, 11:56:45 am »
You know what else is art? Art. If I buy a Picaso for 200k and next year another Picaso fan wants to give me 350k for it, am I dick for screwing over a fellow fan?
LVMH

killsaly

« Reply #2207 on: November 07, 2013, 12:00:31 pm »
 :-\

James Ford

« Reply #2208 on: November 07, 2013, 12:04:37 pm »
Did you forget to sign out of your sidehatch account and sign into your hutch account?

I know it's all about supply and demand....so by logic tickets should be swooped up by who ever can get them the fastest and sold to the highest bidder.

I think fans should look out for each other and not try to profit off each other
You are certainly free to rape and pillage fans at will ...but I will still give you a dirty look and hold you in lower regard

I do think this modern era of StubHub and legalized scalping kinda sucks and fans pretty much lose out to opportunist capitalists.

I think Atomic was especially dickish by actually marking up tickets to a show that wasn't sold out based on the poor choice in music and his inability to get a job as justification.  But all his other posts make me think he is a dick all around, so that just seals the deal for me.

atomic

« Reply #2209 on: November 07, 2013, 12:10:26 pm »

I would think selling lawn seats over cost to a non sold-out show would make you admire me.  Doing it 30 times in one night is outstanding in my opinion. 300 dollars of profit for walking back and forth from the parking lot to the ticket booth.  And we are talking 1985 dollars.  Anyway if you think that is a dick for taking advantage of people too lazy to walk up and check it out themselves then I can live with your opinion.

atomic

« Reply #2210 on: November 07, 2013, 12:12:09 pm »
You know what else is art? Art. If I buy a Picaso for 200k and next year another Picaso fan wants to give me 350k for it, am I dick for screwing over a fellow fan?

I was wondering if I could claim some of that art in that Munich apartment used to belong to my family.  That would a cool way to 400 million. 

hutch

« Reply #2211 on: November 07, 2013, 12:26:59 pm »
and thats the thing..its all about the benjamins.. if i got them good for me and if you don't you suck

when you extend that logic to everything.. it really is a social darwinist jungle and why don't you sign up for the tea party rally while you're at it

times changed... for a long time concerts where a communal shared experience.. the idea of charging someone more money than you yourself paid, for decades, would have been laughed at.. the idea of buying tickets for a concert you had no intention of every going to would have not ocurred to you... i'm' sure maybe in NYC the ticket reselling business got an early start though...but in the main since the idea was that together you were experiencining something and that sharing in that experience was a part of that very experience why would you screw over the person you were sharing in that experience with?.. heck the bands wouldn't realy charge you all that much either because they shared in that experience with you

now its hard to relate that.. concerts are a big business..its a jungle out there and if you have to screw someone else to make a living hey its no different than your day job, right?

i think some of the comments on this thread illustrate just how much the shared cultural mindset has changed.... if you'd said some of the things people are writing on this thread thirty years ago you'd have been laughed at and considered a prick...

and when you look at a picasso you don't interact with the picasso or the people around you looking at the picasso which is why that is a terrible example...

now we can say that because people in general felt that way before doesn't mean they are any better than people today who think scalping is fine and in fact what should be frowned on are people who are against it... but i think we can also say that something was probably lost along the way...

K8teebug

« Reply #2212 on: November 07, 2013, 12:29:26 pm »
I would never sell tickets to a concert for more than I paid for it.  Heck, I've even given tickets away.  I just can't do it.

I've only ever bought tickets once for above face value.  The Last LCD Show...

That's just me.

hutch

« Reply #2213 on: November 07, 2013, 12:45:06 pm »

That's just me.

and that's just it... today, it has all of a sudden become a rarity which is so shocking to someone who grew up at a time when everyone felt that way....

today people look at concert tickets as nothing more than more of "my property" with which I can do whatever I want nay should be able to do whatever I want.. and when you hear of an organization called "Fan Power" well what do you think they are fighting for? Your right to scalp tickets you buy... that is their thing...of course they are probably a front for Stubhub but I think it says a lot that they are called FAN POWER and its about preserving your right to do whatever you want with your "property".. instead of say your right to have access to tickets

and this widespread acceptance of scalping is a slippery slope cause next thing you know the original ticket sellers will hold back the tickets and scalp them themselves...its already happening... i mean since scalping is ok why can't they scalp them, right? at least then the money goes to the artist!

K8teebug

« Reply #2214 on: November 07, 2013, 12:57:59 pm »
Off topic, but I would also like to add that while I don't understand scalpers and people who support them, I also don't understand the people who "tape" shows on their phones just so they can post them to youtube or whatever.

EXPERIENCE THE SHOW PEOPLE

« Reply #2215 on: November 07, 2013, 01:28:12 pm »
and this widespread acceptance of scalping is a slippery slope cause next thing you know the original ticket sellers will hold back the tickets and scalp them themselves...its already happening... i mean since scalping is ok why can't they scalp them, right? at least then the money goes to the artist!
Lots of sports teams are already doing this. The whole "scalping is immoral" argument is basically a lot of you hating people making smart financial decisions, "change" occurring, and wishing the world was some idealistic Phish free-kindbud for everyone universe.

There was lots of scalping before stubhub and even before ticketmaster, despite the fact that a lot of you seem to picture the 1980s as this idealistic time where face value tickets were found in Cracker Jack boxes.

LVMH

« Reply #2216 on: November 07, 2013, 01:31:44 pm »
[they are called FAN POWER and its about preserving your right to do whatever you want with your "property".. instead of say your right to have access to tickets
This one sentence fragment alone displays the total inanity of the anti-scalping viewpoint.

Hey, let's put "property" is quotation marks so as to somehow throw into dispute whether property is actually property because an actual nuanced discussion of that would show my side to be intellectually dishonest. Then lets claim that try to slide an argument in there that people should not be allowed to do what they want with their property because one of the fundamental tenets of our society and economy isn't as important as me being able to buy a finite luxury good for a low fixed cost!
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #2217 on: November 07, 2013, 01:37:32 pm »
Lots of sports teams are already doing this. The whole "scalping is immoral" argument is basically a lot of you hating people making smart financial decisions, "change" occurring, and wishing the world was some idealistic Phish free-kindbud for everyone universe.

There was lots of scalping before stubhub and even before ticketmaster, despite the fact that a lot of you seem to picture the 1980s as this idealistic time where face value tickets were found in Cracker Jack boxes.

if you're defending artists and teams scalping their own tickets i find that illogical.. just charge what you want to get i the first place... I have no problem with any entertainment provider charging whatever people are willing to pay... its when you want to pretend you are charging less so people dont hate on you and then create a cover or degree of separation to charge what you want that I have a problem

and to say there was "a lot" of scalping going on in the 1980s? yeah there was the guy from fast times  but today its every kid on fast times, see the difference?

some people are always going to say that the change is all good and the past is all bad... that is their way of rationalizing where they are and feeling good about it...in some cases feeling superior.... its the same with illegal downloads and a whole host of things..streaming instead of buying music , artist be darmned etc.... "hey everybody is doing it! look at me doing it too!"

killsaly

« Reply #2218 on: November 07, 2013, 01:40:09 pm »
Support independent artists!

hutch

« Reply #2219 on: November 07, 2013, 01:40:16 pm »
[they are called FAN POWER and its about preserving your right to do whatever you want with your "property".. instead of say your right to have access to tickets
This one sentence fragment alone displays the total inanity of the anti-scalping viewpoint.

Hey, let's put "property" is quotation marks so as to somehow throw into dispute whether property is actually property because an actual nuanced discussion of that would show my side to be intellectually dishonest. Then lets claim that try to slide an argument in there that people should not be allowed to do what they want with their property because one of the fundamental tenets of our society and economy isn't as important as me being able to buy a finite luxury good for a low fixed cost!

oh you're being silly.. there are different types of property and some property carry restrictions on their use anyways

my position is let the artist make whatever money they want...not the scalper who doesn't provide the actual, you know, entertainment... and I haven't even said I would outlaw scalping.. so I really think you are protesting a bit much..