Author Topic: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition  (Read 1455551 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition
« Reply #2235 on: November 07, 2013, 02:58:42 pm »
If you see a band selling out instantly a 930-sized venue and tickets going for significantly more on the secondary market, its probably because the artist doesn't care to make more money.

that's stupid.  unless you're selling out stadiums, i don't know of any artist that chooses to not make more money (the KLF's money-burning ways aside).  very few artists that roll through the 930 are making so much money as to be able to leave any on the table.

as i pointed out before, artists can choose to not GOUGE the majority of their fans just because a minority of them are willing to pay ridiculous prices.  most bands don't want to play to a room full of millionaires. 

A more fitting analogy is a regular customer going to a restaurant where he regularly orders Eggplant Parmesan for $12 only to be told the kitchen has run out of Eggplant Parmesan because its very late in the evening and the regular customer didn't call ahead or show up earlier in the dinner hour.

no, the proper analogy here would be the regular walks into the restaurant, tries ordering the eggplant parma only to find out someone else had bought out the shop.  this person has no intention of eating all those parmas, he bought them for the sole purpose of reselling.  this type of behavior is not in the chef's not the restauranteur's best interests.  certainly doesn't appeal to the client.  only person happy here is the hoarder... but quick, let's all rush to defend him in the name of capitalism.

whatever.  i'm done with this.  it's not like our bboard musings are going to solve anything.
<sig>

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #2236 on: November 07, 2013, 03:02:28 pm »
unless you're selling out stadiums, i don't know of any artist that chooses to not make more money (the KLF's money-burning ways aside).  very few artists that roll through the 930 are making so much money as to be able to leave any on the table.
You don't see a correlation between bands who can sell out arenas/stadiums (who by your reasoning are the ones who can afford to leave money on the table) and the bands whose shows at 9:30 Club fetch 5+ times face value on the secondary market?
LVMH

James Ford

« Reply #2237 on: November 07, 2013, 03:06:11 pm »
Can I just say that my wife probably makes a better eggplant parmesan than said restuarant anyway?

And I highly doubt a svelte fashionista like Julian is going to be eating such a calorie laden dish so late in the evening anyway.

« Reply #2238 on: November 07, 2013, 03:22:09 pm »
And I highly doubt a svelte fashionista like Julian is going to be eating such a calorie laden dish so late in the evening anyway.
I fail to see where I worked myself into the analogy at all.
LVMH

atomic

« Reply #2239 on: November 07, 2013, 03:31:39 pm »
If you see a band selling out instantly a 930-sized venue and tickets going for significantly more on the secondary market, its probably because the artist doesn't care to make more money.

that's stupid.  unless you're selling out stadiums, i don't know of any artist that chooses to not make more money (the KLF's money-burning ways aside).  very few artists that roll through the 930 are making so much money as to be able to leave any on the table.

as i pointed out before, artists can choose to not GOUGE the majority of their fans just because a minority of them are willing to pay ridiculous prices.  most bands don't want to play to a room full of millionaires. 

A more fitting analogy is a regular customer going to a restaurant where he regularly orders Eggplant Parmesan for $12 only to be told the kitchen has run out of Eggplant Parmesan because its very late in the evening and the regular customer didn't call ahead or show up earlier in the dinner hour.

no, the proper analogy here would be the regular walks into the restaurant, tries ordering the eggplant parma only to find out someone else had bought out the shop.  this person has no intention of eating all those parmas, he bought them for the sole purpose of reselling.  this type of behavior is not in the chef's not the restauranteur's best interests.  certainly doesn't appeal to the client.  only person happy here is the hoarder... but quick, let's all rush to defend him in the name of capitalism.

whatever.  i'm done with this.  it's not like our bboard musings are going to solve anything.

What about the business that keeps their supply of beer low so that people will pay outrageous prices for it and drive accross the country for it?

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #2240 on: November 07, 2013, 03:37:21 pm »
my feet stink.  i need to get new shoes.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #2241 on: November 07, 2013, 03:40:31 pm »
and thats the thing..its all about the benjamins.. if i got them good for me and if you don't you suck

when you extend that logic to everything.. it really is a social darwinist jungle and why don't you sign up for the tea party rally while you're at it

times changed... for a long time concerts where a communal shared experience.. the idea of charging someone more money than you yourself paid, for decades, would have been laughed at.. the idea of buying tickets for a concert you had no intention of every going to would have not ocurred to you... i'm' sure maybe in NYC the ticket reselling business got an early start though...but in the main since the idea was that together you were experiencining something and that sharing in that experience was a part of that very experience why would you screw over the person you were sharing in that experience with?.. heck the bands wouldn't realy charge you all that much either because they shared in that experience with you

now its hard to relate that.. concerts are a big business..its a jungle out there and if you have to screw someone else to make a living hey its no different than your day job, right?

i think some of the comments on this thread illustrate just how much the shared cultural mindset has changed.... if you'd said some of the things people are writing on this thread thirty years ago you'd have been laughed at and considered a prick...

and when you look at a picasso you don't interact with the picasso or the people around you looking at the picasso which is why that is a terrible example...

now we can say that because people in general felt that way before doesn't mean they are any better than people today who think scalping is fine and in fact what should be frowned on are people who are against it... but i think we can also say that something was probably lost along the way...

FWIW, This is a great book on the subject:

http://www.seattlepi.com/lifestyle/blogcritics/article/Book-Review-Ticket-Masters-The-Rise-Of-The-1417702.php

« Reply #2242 on: November 07, 2013, 03:40:49 pm »
my feet stink.  i need to get new shoes.
Walkie, what the hell took you so long to comment? I used the phrase " idealistic Phish free-kindbud for everyone universe" 2 pages ago and was certain you'd be somehow summoned here momentarily.
LVMH

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #2243 on: November 07, 2013, 03:42:56 pm »
too much reading.  i enjoy yelling and screaming, when i dont have to read so much.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #2244 on: November 07, 2013, 03:51:23 pm »
ok, i just read it . . . besides the chicken parm talk, simply because i am hungry right now, i fully believe in reselling tickets, reselling anything, making money, making all the money, making fuck you money, making whore money.  you know what else i believe in?  not giving a shit what other people think about me.   

atomic

« Reply #2245 on: November 07, 2013, 04:03:12 pm »
Man there has always been ticket scalping.  Back in the day people waited over night in line for tickets.  These days you can always get tickets to any event you want to go to by paying the going price.   That is awesome.  I remember in 1986 I was in DC and I couldn't get anyone to sell me tickets to the Smiths for less than 35 dollars which was too steep for me.  I guess now I wish I did so I could be the prick who said I saw the Smiths and you did not.  But the scalpers gave me that choice. 

killsaly

« Reply #2246 on: November 07, 2013, 04:10:48 pm »
Can you all make a scalping thread? If someone wanted to comment on something that was just announced, their post would get lost among the five pages of scalping talk.
Foul Swoops
Teen Liver
Expert Alterations
Paper Sun
11/15

Wow it's like mini-popfest!

Is that the Cigarette house?

One of them lives there. He is also 1/3 of Teen Liver.
Nice! I dont think I can go though, since we are going to Chelsea Light Moving the day before, and I am going to Future Islands that weekend...

« Reply #2247 on: November 07, 2013, 05:02:37 pm »
Can you all make a scalping thread? If someone wanted to comment on something that was just announced, their post would get lost among the five pages of scalping talk.
I can't imagine anyone caring about anything more than my winsome stories of Eggplant Parmesan.
LVMH

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #2248 on: November 07, 2013, 05:10:11 pm »
What about the business that keeps their supply of beer low so that people will pay outrageous prices for it and drive accross the country for it?

O.K.  When did we start talking about "Smokey and the Bandit?"

Brian

hutch

« Reply #2249 on: November 14, 2013, 09:55:06 pm »
and thats the thing..its all about the benjamins.. if i got them good for me and if you don't you suck

when you extend that logic to everything.. it really is a social darwinist jungle and why don't you sign up for the tea party rally while you're at it

times changed... for a long time concerts where a communal shared experience.. the idea of charging someone more money than you yourself paid, for decades, would have been laughed at.. the idea of buying tickets for a concert you had no intention of every going to would have not ocurred to you... i'm' sure maybe in NYC the ticket reselling business got an early start though...but in the main since the idea was that together you were experiencining something and that sharing in that experience was a part of that very experience why would you screw over the person you were sharing in that experience with?.. heck the bands wouldn't realy charge you all that much either because they shared in that experience with you

now its hard to relate that.. concerts are a big business..its a jungle out there and if you have to screw someone else to make a living hey its no different than your day job, right?

i think some of the comments on this thread illustrate just how much the shared cultural mindset has changed.... if you'd said some of the things people are writing on this thread thirty years ago you'd have been laughed at and considered a prick...

and when you look at a picasso you don't interact with the picasso or the people around you looking at the picasso which is why that is a terrible example...

now we can say that because people in general felt that way before doesn't mean they are any better than people today who think scalping is fine and in fact what should be frowned on are people who are against it... but i think we can also say that something was probably lost along the way...

FWIW, This is a great book on the subject:

http://www.seattlepi.com/lifestyle/blogcritics/article/Book-Review-Ticket-Masters-The-Rise-Of-The-1417702.php

thanks. i'll check it out.