Author Topic: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition  (Read 1455364 times)

atomic

Re: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition
« Reply #2415 on: December 04, 2013, 12:06:12 pm »
I like how people on this board are talking about some Malkmus show at the Black Cat when the show of all time is happening at the Floristree.  So out of touch.

This is a joke, right? The show of all time is  Floristree?

;D

personally what I find pitiful are people who simply go to shows because they are "trendy"...

What?  I hate to tell you this but Malkmus solo stuff sucks balls.  The sooner  you and everyone lets him know this by not attending his shitty solo shows the sooner he stops touring solo and gets back together with Pavement again.

And you wonder why this is the show of the century?  Anyway I am hardly going to the show because it was trendy.  I have seen Beach House shows with 30 people at them.  And Wye Oak as an opener at many small club show and Celebration as well.  Loved Fleet Foxes before anyone else.  I love good music.

And Floristree is not a show it is a venue.  A venue that lets you bring your own beer.

hutch

« Reply #2416 on: December 04, 2013, 12:10:50 pm »

And Floristree is not a show it is a venue.  A venue that lets you bring your own beer.

if you have a problem with alcohol now is the time to start making those new year's resolutions atomic

killsaly

« Reply #2417 on: December 04, 2013, 12:20:05 pm »
Atomic, will you be at Celebration on Friday?  Also, if you haven't seen Katrina's other band, Mt Royal, they play the Ottobar on 2/1.

I love, love, love Katrina Ford! She is probably my all time favorite female vocalist!

hutch

« Reply #2418 on: December 04, 2013, 12:57:50 pm »

atomic

« Reply #2419 on: December 04, 2013, 12:59:03 pm »
Atomic, will you be at Celebration on Friday?  Also, if you haven't seen Katrina's other band, Mt Royal, they play the Ottobar on 2/1.

I love, love, love Katrina Ford! She is probably my all time favorite female vocalist!

No I won't be able to make the Celebration show.  I will try to see Mt Royal.  Are they similar in sound to Celebration?

killsaly

« Reply #2420 on: December 04, 2013, 01:02:08 pm »
Kind of... A bit more "rocking", I suppose. More guitars and less organs.
http://mtroyalbaltimore.bandcamp.com/track/missing-reward

Yada

« Reply #2421 on: December 04, 2013, 04:20:27 pm »
I like how people on this board are talking about some Malkmus show at the Black Cat when the show of all time is happening at the Floristree.  So out of touch.

This is a joke, right? The show of all time is  Floristree?

;D

personally what I find pitiful are people who simply go to shows because they are "trendy"...

What?  I hate to tell you this but Malkmus solo stuff sucks balls.  The sooner  you and everyone lets him know this by not attending his shitty solo shows the sooner he stops touring solo and gets back together with Pavement again.

And you wonder why this is the show of the century?  Anyway I am hardly going to the show because it was trendy.  I have seen Beach House shows with 30 people at them.  And Wye Oak as an opener at many small club show and Celebration as well.  Loved Fleet Foxes before anyone else.  I love good music.

LOL

Got Haggis?

« Reply #2422 on: December 04, 2013, 08:34:12 pm »

She bar tends at holy frijoles

hutch

« Reply #2423 on: December 10, 2013, 03:44:57 pm »
Mike Gordon
9:30 Club
3/4

man I wonder how long the State Theatre can survive..they are losing every single staple act of theirs.... Gordon has played at least 2 or 3 times there... no more.  They've pretty much been left only with cover bands... i know their bookings were pretty weak the past few years but now they are nonexistent..

azaghal1981

« Reply #2424 on: December 10, 2013, 11:11:32 pm »
Legwarmers every night forever.
احمد

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2425 on: December 11, 2013, 02:46:09 pm »
I am doing a DJ set at at January's We Fought the Big One at Marx Cafe on 1/3 for anyone into that sort of thing.

Do you know each of the records by the feel of their grooves? I'm seriously asking.

i vaguely remember seeing a news story on a young Jeff Healey showing how he could do this.

edit: yup: "He could identify records by touch alone, abetted by his immaculate, eidetic memory. One night, on a visit to Los Angeles, he flabbergasted Steven Lasker and me with his shellac-detecting prowess. When I handed him a certain 78, he palmed it, probed its edge and surfaces with his fingertips, and said, ?Hmm. It?s an acoustic Victor ? Let?s see? number 18457. It?s the ODJB ? ?Ostrich Walk.? Nice condition, too.? A distinct hurl of the gauntlet, this. Steven and I took turns at this new game of ?Stump Jeff,? pulling increasingly obscure and anomalous records off the shelf. Nothing fazed him. ?Well ? this is obviously a Columbia product? about 1930, I reckon ? but with this matrix ? it?s got to be a Clarion. It?s ?Blue Again? by Ben Selvin, as ?Ford Britten and his Blue Comets?.? ? " (http://jazzlives.wordpress.com/2008/04/15/a-few-more-words-about-jeff-healey-by-brad-kay/)
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2426 on: December 11, 2013, 06:08:09 pm »
Primal Scream 5/8 Sixth and I

Weird.

Although hearing "Kill All Hippies" in a synagogue will be something.

for some reason i haven't been to a 6th & I show yet.  i had tickets for something a while back but couldn't make it.

anyhoo - what's the sound like in there?  based on pix, i'd imagine pretty reverb'y/echo'y.  i imagine it's great for acoustic/vocal-heavy/slower/etc stuff but how good does a rock band sound there? 
<sig>

atomic

« Reply #2427 on: December 11, 2013, 06:56:00 pm »
Primal Scream 5/8 Sixth and I

Weird.

Although hearing "Kill All Hippies" in a synagogue will be something.

for some reason i haven't been to a 6th & I show yet.  i had tickets for something a while back but couldn't make it.

anyhoo - what's the sound like in there?  based on pix, i'd imagine pretty reverb'y/echo'y.  i imagine it's great for acoustic/vocal-heavy/slower/etc stuff but how good does a rock band sound there? 

Best venue in DC. 

hutch

« Reply #2428 on: December 11, 2013, 07:23:47 pm »
i'm sorry.. sixth and i just doesn't strike me as the place i want to see primal scream...

Yada

« Reply #2429 on: December 11, 2013, 08:08:53 pm »
It will sound just a little more shitty than DAR, so awful.