Author Topic: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition  (Read 1455785 times)

atomic

Re: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition
« Reply #2430 on: December 11, 2013, 10:58:59 pm »
i'm sorry.. sixth and i just doesn't strike me as the place i want to see primal scream...

You complain too much about venues.  What is wrong with Sixth and I. Polyphonic Spree were amazing there.  Hope Sandoval sounded good there too.

I have seen Primal Scream a bunch of times and I would think this is a great venue to see them in. 

hutch

« Reply #2431 on: December 12, 2013, 08:58:00 am »
i'm sorry.. sixth and i just doesn't strike me as the place i want to see primal scream...

You complain too much about venues.  What is wrong with Sixth and I. Polyphonic Spree were amazing there.  Hope Sandoval sounded good there too.

I have seen Primal Scream a bunch of times and I would think this is a great venue to see them in. 

I would think 6th and I would be perfect for Hope Sandoval... no idea who Polyphonic Spree are other than a band Walky keeps yammering about...

I saw Chris Cornell there doing a solo acoustic show and for that it was great..

I just think Primal Scream is a rocking out band....they should have been booked for U Street Hall...

my only real complaint is always the same: I don't like seeing rock bands in places not created for rock shows....DAR is the same....my friend was talking to the roadies after Fogerty in Baltimore and they were laughing about how shitty DAR was and that they would only deploy 6 out of 30 or some such lights/stage props/not sure what.. in other words DAR was going to get a limited presentation of Fogerty's show on this tour....

and maybe I'm wrong about Primal Scream playing 6th and I...maybe it will be great..who the fuck knows..until the show.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 09:03:10 am by hutch »

Vas Deferens

« Reply #2432 on: December 12, 2013, 09:40:22 am »
the bigger problem is Primal Scream...they are very hit or miss. Mostly miss.
(_|_)

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #2433 on: December 12, 2013, 10:51:53 am »

Yes.  Kevin Shields isn't touring with them anymore.  Mani isn't either.  They have their own gigs/nostalgia trips.  I'll miss Bobby Gillespie and Mr. Shields leaving the stage every 10 minutes for "refreshments."  Even Courtney Love didn't do that.

Brian

azaghal1981

« Reply #2434 on: December 12, 2013, 10:56:46 am »
The last club show was fantastic although Mani was there.

I agree with Hutch. Other than the awkward juxtapositions mentioned, this will not be the best venue for them.
احمد

atomic

« Reply #2435 on: December 12, 2013, 11:00:24 am »

When I saw them on the Screamadelica tour in the early 90's they were pretty incredible.  One of thte best shows I have ever seen.   Saw them in San Francisco at the Fillmore with the three guitarists and they were just Ok.  Saw them at MPP and they were underwhelming.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #2436 on: December 12, 2013, 11:02:13 am »
Fillmore with Underworld?  I was there.  That was a terrible show. Underworld were great, though.
(_|_)

Relaxer

« Reply #2437 on: December 12, 2013, 11:10:05 am »
Well at least it's unusual. Having seen them at the club a couple times, I would have no interest in this show. But at a synagogue? Now I'm interested. I also can't imagine them blasting out the windows, which is why I go to a Primal Scream show, but there's a novelty factor at play.
oword

atomic

« Reply #2438 on: December 12, 2013, 11:36:07 am »

I would think 6th and I would be perfect for Hope Sandoval... no idea who Polyphonic Spree are other than a band Walky keeps yammering about...

I saw Chris Cornell there doing a solo acoustic show and for that it was great..

I just think Primal Scream is a rocking out band....they should have been booked for U Street Hall...

my only real complaint is always the same: I don't like seeing rock bands in places not created for rock shows....DAR is the same....my friend was talking to the roadies after Fogerty in Baltimore and they were laughing about how shitty DAR was and that they would only deploy 6 out of 30 or some such lights/stage props/not sure what.. in other words DAR was going to get a limited presentation of Fogerty's show on this tour....

and maybe I'm wrong about Primal Scream playing 6th and I...maybe it will be great..who the fuck knows..until the show.

And the 930 club is made for rock shows?    Sixth & I blows the 930 club away.    I can't imagine anyone prefering 930 for any show over Sixth & I. 

Yada

« Reply #2439 on: December 12, 2013, 11:41:04 am »

And the 930 club is made for rock shows?    Sixth & I blows the 930 club away.    I can't imagine anyone prefering 930 for any show over Sixth & I. 

Hey anus front, two things...

http://forum.930.com/index.php?topic=19630.msg372765#msg372765

anusfront:

worst taste in beer: ✓
worst taste in comedians: ✓
worst taste in music: ✓
worst taste in movies: ✓
mullet: ✓
not really atomicfront (Julian): ✓
not really atomicfront (walky): ✓
douches up every single thread on the board: ✓
likes any band that dresses up in an old timey theme: ✓
doesn't know shit about DC venues: ✓
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 11:49:43 am by Yada »

Relaxer

« Reply #2440 on: December 12, 2013, 11:45:11 am »

Come on, I'm a vocal critic of the club but even I think this is overly assy. YES, the 9:30 Club is made for rock shows. NO, the 6th and I Synagogue was not made for rock shows but they hold them there anyway.
oword

hutch

« Reply #2441 on: December 12, 2013, 12:05:23 pm »

ok now i've heard it all...

atomic

« Reply #2442 on: December 12, 2013, 12:48:16 pm »

Come on, I'm a vocal critic of the club but even I think this is overly assy. YES, the 9:30 Club is made for rock shows. NO, the 6th and I Synagogue was not made for rock shows but they hold them there anyway.

You really think 930 club was made for rock shows? I was first there when it was called the WUST music hall back in 1984 it was nothng more than a big room.  I mean the same as an old warehouse.  Do you really think 930 club is designed with accoustics in mind?  I am sure some thought was put into the Synagogue with accoustics.  The 930 club is just like a 1000 other clubs around the country.  The sixth and I Synagogue is like no other venue I have ever been to.

What the 930 club has going for it is the bands that play there.  If Seth started not knowing how to run a rock club anymore and booked shitty bands I would never go there again.  I mean to me I like the Black Cat better as it is smaller but the Black Cat doesn't get as many bands that I want to see.  I like the Ottobar better as it is closer to my house and it is smaller.  They are basically all the same though.  An empty room with a stage. 

hutch

« Reply #2443 on: December 12, 2013, 12:50:07 pm »

You really think 930 club was made for rock shows? I was first there when it was called the WUST music hall back in 1984 it was nothng more than a big room.  I mean the same as an old warehouse.  Do you really think 930 club is designed with accoustics in mind?  I am sure some thought was put into the Synagogue with accoustics.  The 930 club is just like a 1000 other clubs around the country.  The sixth and I Synagogue is like no other venue I have ever been to.

What the 930 club has going for it is the bands that play there.  If Seth started not knowing how to run a rock club anymore and booked shitty bands I would never go there again.  I mean to me I like the Black Cat better as it is smaller but the Black Cat doesn't get as many bands that I want to see.  I like the Ottobar better as it is closer to my house and it is smaller.  They are basically all the same though.  An empty room with a stage. 

^reductionism at its finest..

Yada

« Reply #2444 on: December 12, 2013, 12:53:40 pm »

http://forum.930.com/index.php?topic=19630.msg372765#msg372765