Author Topic: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition  (Read 1456307 times)

bearman🐻

Re: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition
« Reply #2985 on: June 26, 2014, 08:43:21 am »
I saw The Damned at BC on the last go around. Dave Vanian and Captain Sensible were the only original members. Monty Oxy Moron has been on keys for them for almost 20 years though. They were really awesome live though, great show. How is TSOL doing these days would be my question!?!

The Damned are still one of my favorite bands to see live. They're always great. I saw them in Chicago in 1998 and it was one of the wildest, most disorganized spectacles I've ever seen but in all the right ways. Girls ripping off their tops and stage diving, an amp falling over onto the drummer, Captain Sensible in a tutu with no underwear, drunken audience fist fights, a guy jumping on stage and proposing to his girlfriend...it was better than any circus I've ever been to. The following week I saw them in Boston and Captain Sensible leaned over and kissed my sister. Dave Vanian asked what he was doing and he said "OH, I was just helping her find her earring" and Dave Vanian dedicated "Shadow of Love" to "all the girls that have lost their earrings tonight". I used to miss Rat Scabies but their current drummer is great, and to be honest Dave and the Captain are pretty much the core of the Damned anyway. They never disappoint.

On another note, one of my favorite rock star stories is that Brian James killed some guy who wrote all the original songs for the first album, then stole them and claimed them as his own. So when it came time to write the second LP he used his own songs, which is why it's not as good and that's why they had to break up.

heather

« Reply #2986 on: June 26, 2014, 10:16:20 am »
Spoon w/ Hamilton Leithauser
Lincoln Theater
9/2

$35  ::)

with fees, $45 and change.  kinda stings.  i'm not sure how i feel about seeing spoon at the lincoln.

Yada

« Reply #2987 on: June 26, 2014, 10:53:40 am »
Lincoln Theater
9/2

with fees, $45 and change.  kinda stings.  i'm not sure how i feel about seeing spoon at the lincoln.

I've said it once and I'll say it again... Rock shows should not be held in places where you're expected to be seated.

atomic

« Reply #2988 on: June 26, 2014, 11:08:11 am »
Lincoln Theater
9/2

I've said it once and I'll say it again... Rock shows should not be held in places where you're expected to be seated.

Well you can sit until the band starts and then you should stand up.  It does gurantee you a spot so you can go to the bathroom or get a beer when you want.

Yada

« Reply #2989 on: June 26, 2014, 11:10:30 am »
Lincoln Theater
9/2

Well you can sit until the band starts and then you should stand up.  It does gurantee you a spot so you can go to the bathroom or get a beer when you want.

until bro behind you with his girlfriend is mad that you're standing up and she can't see.

atomic

« Reply #2990 on: June 26, 2014, 11:28:26 am »
Lincoln Theater
9/2

until bro behind you with his girlfriend is mad that you're standing up and she can't see.

Shove him and tell him to stop ruining your good time. 

Stillwater

« Reply #2991 on: July 10, 2014, 10:49:10 am »
I am moving to Philly in Sep. Do they have a forum or site similiar to this one or showlistdc for concert announcements?

hutch

« Reply #2992 on: July 17, 2014, 01:52:13 pm »
really looking forward to the GBV show in Milton..

btw I am reading its a very small theater....given its a Dogfish Brewery event there may not even be that many tickets available..

on the other hand its in Milton so... you know..

James Ford

« Reply #2993 on: July 17, 2014, 02:39:27 pm »
A day at the beach and a night at the concert for the Hutch family?

really looking forward to the GBV show in Milton..

btw I am reading its a very small theater....given its a Dogfish Brewery event there may not even be that many tickets available..

on the other hand its in Milton so... you know..

K8teebug

« Reply #2994 on: July 17, 2014, 04:00:37 pm »
I might go tour the brewery next week.  I'll report back if I do!

vansmack

« Reply #2995 on: July 18, 2014, 02:02:20 pm »
I guess I just run in different circles....
Oh, clearly. Everyone knows: go to Smackie for your sports, stripper, and slowcore news.

Obviously, that's the funny part.  I'm never in loop on this stuff.  I don't even click Just Announced any more, except for the month or two ahead of when I may be visiting DC.

But this weekend, I was chatting up my bartender friend about the New Order show and she told me Slowdive and Low were coming.  I was happy and figured everyone knew.  Then I was chatting with Venerable about it and bought a presale ticket.  At 10am PT it said Low was the opener on the ticketing web site.  Then four hours later they posted an announcement that Low was the opener and everyone went nuts.

I'm rarely in the know so I was taking the piss...
27>34

hutch

« Reply #2996 on: August 06, 2014, 05:14:20 pm »
The Detroit Cobras
9/15
RNR

wow it has been a while...

« Reply #2997 on: August 11, 2014, 04:11:58 pm »
The Detroit Cobras
9/15
RNR

wow it has been a while...
Glad I saw this, definitely going to this one.
Funny I looked at their site like a month ago to see if they were tourning
slack

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #2998 on: August 11, 2014, 05:42:15 pm »
Mike Doughty at Jammin' Java on 11/25... ouch!

How many showed up for his Soul Coughing set last year?
😐 🎶

Yada

« Reply #2999 on: August 12, 2014, 03:18:36 pm »
Mike Doughty at Jammin' Java on 11/25... ouch!

How many showed up for his Soul Coughing set last year?

Definitely more than 200... I would still think he'd be at least playing the Black Cat.