Author Topic: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition  (Read 1455323 times)

Re: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition
« Reply #3000 on: August 13, 2014, 11:05:09 am »
Ryan Adams --- At the Club!
9/8/14 ? Washington DC - 9:30 Club
What is his live show like these days?

Considering his last five albums kinda sucked, I'd say... sucky. However, I'm tempted.

I did go see his solo acoustic performance a few years ago at Strathmore and thought it was awkwardly an ok show.

I will say, since the beginning his shows are always hit or miss

But I can't stop going in the hopes of some of that voodoo he get's every blue moon or so
he's melted my face at least 3 shows and bored me for 3 too
The cardinals were an awesome band and not really sure who he's touring with now
I know last year he did a show in London with  keyboardist Benmonth Tench and Don Was (yes THAT Don Was) also done some appearances with steel guitarist Cindy Cashdollar

I really liked the Strathmore show as he played all the acoustic songs that he often would skip as he had his full band with him. 

Definitely an acquired taste as he can really rub people wrong.
He still kinda acts like a teenager, even though he's turning 40 this year

So I do agree that the last bunch of his releases....were sub par
Jacksonville City Nights
Easy Tiger
Cardinology
Orion
III/IV

But at the same time there are some Great songs on there.
I think if you made a 10 song compilation, you'd have an amazing album

I can't argue that of the 17 albums he's released since 95...only 5 of them are solid and the rest are spotty at best

But I will stand by Ashes & Fire, that is a great album
From what I've heard of the new one...I'm not impressed, but won't pass judgment yet until I've heard it

Ok...need to practice my Jedi ticket ordering...as I'm going to be pissed if it sells out and I can't get a ticket
slack

Yada

« Reply #3001 on: August 13, 2014, 11:23:57 am »
What is his live show like these days?

Considering his last five albums kinda sucked, I'd say... sucky. However, I'm tempted.

I did go see his solo acoustic performance a few years ago at Strathmore and thought it was awkwardly an ok show.

I will say, since the beginning his shows are always hit or miss

But I can't stop going in the hopes of some of that voodoo he get's every blue moon or so
he's melted my face at least 3 shows and bored me for 3 too
The cardinals were an awesome band and not really sure who he's touring with now
I know last year he did a show in London with  keyboardist Benmonth Tench and Don Was (yes THAT Don Was) also done some appearances with steel guitarist Cindy Cashdollar

I really liked the Strathmore show as he played all the acoustic songs that he often would skip as he had his full band with him. 

Definitely an acquired taste as he can really rub people wrong.
He still kinda acts like a teenager, even though he's turning 40 this year

So I do agree that the last bunch of his releases....were sub par
Jacksonville City Nights
Easy Tiger
Cardinology
Orion
III/IV

But at the same time there are some Great songs on there.
I think if you made a 10 song compilation, you'd have an amazing album

I can't argue that of the 17 albums he's released since 95...only 5 of them are solid and the rest are spotty at best

But I will stand by Ashes & Fire, that is a great album
From what I've heard of the new one...I'm not impressed, but won't pass judgment yet until I've heard it

Ok...need to practice my Jedi ticket ordering...as I'm going to be pissed if it sells out and I can't get a ticket

That's been my issue with him since post Heartbreaker R+R... he needs to focus on quality over quantity. Obviously you're going to have some amazing tracks when you put out 8 albums, but shit... make two killer albums instead of 8 sub par albums.

I am tempted to see the 930 club, however, the current sets I don't know/like half the songs so it probably isn't worth it.

I bumped into him in front of Ben's Chili bowl before the Cold Roses tour and he was beyond tweaked out and reeked of patchouli.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 11:25:31 am by Yada »

shemptiness

« Reply #3002 on: August 14, 2014, 10:21:46 am »
Anybody know the promo code?  - Nevermind.   >:(
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 10:32:23 am by Shemp »

« Reply #3003 on: August 14, 2014, 10:46:57 am »
Not sure what mojo Yada uses to magicaly grab tickets

but I'm really annoyed with this scapling of presale...10:45 and there are 80 tickets up at stub hub
slack

Yada

« Reply #3004 on: August 14, 2014, 10:49:19 am »

but I'm really annoyed with this scapling of presale...10:45 and there are 80 tickets up at stub hub

We've been over this before, but there aren't 80 tickets actually for sale on stubhub right now.  ;D

Years of buying Phish tickets have perfected my craft... and actually this morning, I just randomly saw your post, clicked the link, and they were available. I wasn't even trying to get Ryan Adams tickets today.  :o :o :o

« Reply #3005 on: August 14, 2014, 11:05:49 am »

We've been over this before, but there aren't 80 tickets actually for sale on stubhub right now.  ;D

Years of buying Phish tickets have perfected my craft... and actually this morning, I just randomly saw your post, clicked the link, and they were available. I wasn't even trying to get Ryan Adams tickets today.  :o :o :o

grrr...are you serious!
Myself and three of my friends were on at 9:59 and all got shut out
what do you have a super trader link to the internet that get's you .0009 seconds faster to ticketfly!
slack

« Reply #3006 on: August 15, 2014, 09:08:07 am »

apparently the band is called the shining

here's johnny...
slack

« Reply #3007 on: August 20, 2014, 10:53:57 am »
Ian Hunter
Hamilton
11-2

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

am I the only one who finds it funny that "Cleveland rocks" was written by a Brit

I can't believe Mick Ronson was only 46 when he died in 93 of liver cancer...now there was a major loss
slack

hutch

« Reply #3008 on: August 20, 2014, 11:59:51 am »
what i can't believe is how old ian hunter is..

supposedly he's still got the goods...

never seen him and always wanted to ..missed him at the howard a few years back

« Reply #3009 on: August 20, 2014, 01:35:29 pm »
GWAR W/ Corrosion of Conformity and American Sharks
Baltimore Soundstage
12/13
Ok....didn't the lead singer and guitarist just die in the last year
I guess they were wearing masks so no one will notice
slack

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #3010 on: August 20, 2014, 02:04:34 pm »
?Dark clouds of war and ill omen have gathered around GWAR. In our hour of greatest peril, Oderus has left us and our enemies stand poised, ready to strike while they sense weakness,? says GWAR guitarist BalSac the Jaws of Death. ?But we shall no longer cower in our Antarctic stronghold, awaiting Destiny?s final blow. This Fall GWAR sets out on the most trying quest of our career. We shall scour our leader?s favorite stomping ground, North America, leaving no city unsearched, no venue unraised, and no sheep unmolested. GWAR will venture to the depths of Hell or to the very end of Time itself, and though I fear what we may encounter out there, I know that we can never return home until we have the answer we seek: ?Where is Oderus Urungus???

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #3011 on: August 20, 2014, 03:05:57 pm »
cliffnotes version . . . we need the money.

Got Haggis?

« Reply #3012 on: August 20, 2014, 03:43:58 pm »
GWAR W/ Corrosion of Conformity and American Sharks
Baltimore Soundstage
12/13
Ok....didn't the lead singer and guitarist just die in the last year
I guess they were wearing masks so no one will notice

saw video from the GWARBBQ the other week....new singer w/ new costume and new name

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #3013 on: August 20, 2014, 03:54:08 pm »
cliffnotes version . . . we need the money.

I'm guessing there's not many CAREER OPTIONS for thrash metal aliens.  Its not like they could just drop off a resume and wait for a call.  I'm guessing they don't interview all that well either.  I mean, what do they say, "So, Mr, uhhh...Jaws of Death, ummm, I see here that you list decapitating effigies of world leaders as a hobby of yours.  How do you think that prepares you for this position at Acme Widgets, Incorporated?" 

I'd have to think their customer service skills aren't quite up to par either.  "Yeah, I'd like to see if you could waive this late fee?  See, my mailman isn't all that reliable sometimes, and I found this bill in the bushes..."

"RAWRRARASRATWRAARWAARARRARARARRAR GRAUAGFWEERAEAQWQWARARAERR"

"Oh yeah, OK. I'll send that payment in right away!"

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #3014 on: August 20, 2014, 04:09:08 pm »
I've met a handful of former and current members of Gwar, including the deceased, and they were all -- without exception -- complete assholes who live in states of perpetual childhood well into their late-50s.
LVMH