Author Topic: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition  (Read 1456128 times)

Re: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition
« Reply #3180 on: October 22, 2014, 10:08:29 am »
Marah
12-6
IOTAs
this seems to be one of their "mountain minstrelsy" shows..

few things here...
1. I've been trying to catch this MM show the last two times it came around...so going to try an catch it this time
2. I know the name caries some weight with the Boss and Mr Hornby name dropping them...but I think they need to own Mountain Minstrelsy.  As it is not Marah...not even close. It's defiantly something new and different.  they could say something like 'feat.  David Bielanko from Marah'
3. Surprised they are not doing Jammin Java, but I do think that venue is out of the way for most DC area folk and Iota is much more centrally located and on people's radar
slack

emmanuel

« Reply #3181 on: October 22, 2014, 10:16:04 am »
Did anyone try to get FF tickets? Curious how crazy that line was.

BC posted not to bother coming if you weren't already in line around 3:30pm

I got mine. To be honest, that was the most fun I think I've ever had waiting in line to get tickets. I met these 2 gals behind me in line who were cool as hell, we all ended up talking it turns out we have friends in common. In the end, we all got to hang out and talk and it made the time waiting fly by. Even the rain wasn't bad because the staff let us into the club...they opened the bar, we ordered drinks, and just waited for our numbers to be called. Anyway, judging from the crowd, there will be folks who show up at this show that you'd never see at a Verizon Center show...it's going to be a fun audience. I know it's easy to trash big rock stars and question why a band like the Foos got so big, but they're not your typical rock stars. These guys strike me as about as thoughtful as it comes to their fans, and they have a strong desire to stay connected to their roots. I've missed their other shows at the Black Cat, so I'm glad I'm going to get to see them there this time. And I'm excited to see some of the other boardies that'll be there too.

True but looking at the recent setlists, I'm still not convinced it is worth the effort to see them. Even if there were good guys and the crowd is nice, I think you need to like the recent hits which I do not. I saw them in 1996 or so last time (well and an acoustic opening show from far away), and it was good, but I don't feel there is any reason I should see them again unless I get a free ticket or something.

Yada

« Reply #3182 on: October 22, 2014, 10:36:25 am »

Hutch is heading there this weekend to pick up his tickets at the box office.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #3183 on: October 22, 2014, 10:44:25 am »
hes a bigshot . . . he gets hand delivered.

K8teebug

« Reply #3184 on: October 22, 2014, 11:06:44 am »

I got mine. To be honest, that was the most fun I think I've ever had waiting in line to get tickets. I met these 2 gals behind me in line who were cool as hell, we all ended up talking it turns out we have friends in common. In the end, we all got to hang out and talk and it made the time waiting fly by. Even the rain wasn't bad because the staff let us into the club...they opened the bar, we ordered drinks, and just waited for our numbers to be called. Anyway, judging from the crowd, there will be folks who show up at this show that you'd never see at a Verizon Center show...it's going to be a fun audience. I know it's easy to trash big rock stars and question why a band like the Foos got so big, but they're not your typical rock stars. These guys strike me as about as thoughtful as it comes to their fans, and they have a strong desire to stay connected to their roots. I've missed their other shows at the Black Cat, so I'm glad I'm going to get to see them there this time. And I'm excited to see some of the other boardies that'll be there too.

That is exactly why you can't hate the Foo Fighters. I don't like them, but I really appreciate what they're doing with the new HBO series, and with the Sound City documentary. Who else is going to put Steve Albini and David Yow (and Lil' Bub!) on HBO? I'm glad they're big enough to shed some light on those who've made and are making great music, but might have flown under the radar.

wml7

« Reply #3185 on: October 22, 2014, 11:17:26 am »

awesome you got tickets.  They always put on a great show, will be seeing them again next weekend at Voodoo Festival.
 ;D

Rogue Riderhood

« Reply #3186 on: October 22, 2014, 01:31:23 pm »
Riff Raff/Waka Flocka tickets for the Soundstage show are 2 for 1 today...

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #3187 on: October 22, 2014, 02:26:25 pm »
ahh . . . the days when 14th street was nothing more than crime, drugs, and hookers.  it was easy to park back then.
People still get mugged around there! Follow the crime Twitter handles and what not. It's still prevalent. Probably nowhere near as bad as it used to be. It's nice to be able to walk a couple blocks though. Too bad it gets so crowded.

Happens at the Howard too

http://www.popville.com/2014/10/reader-alleges-howard-theatre-security-responds-to-claim-of-attack-with-were-closing-in-30-minutes-anyway-whats-the-difference/

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #3188 on: October 22, 2014, 03:04:38 pm »
ahh . . . the days when 14th street was nothing more than crime, drugs, and hookers.  it was easy to park back then.
People still get mugged around there! Follow the crime Twitter handles and what not. It's still prevalent. Probably nowhere near as bad as it used to be. It's nice to be able to walk a couple blocks though. Too bad it gets so crowded.

Happens at the Howard too

http://www.popville.com/2014/10/reader-alleges-howard-theatre-security-responds-to-claim-of-attack-with-were-closing-in-30-minutes-anyway-whats-the-difference/
So, wait, he called her a bitch too? Lol
‼‼?‼‼

emmanuel

« Reply #3189 on: October 23, 2014, 10:14:57 am »
Got my ticket for Sleater-Kinney!! Is there a 2nd show?  ;)

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #3190 on: October 23, 2014, 10:19:17 am »
i got through to entering my card info but then the page wouldnt load. when i hit refresh i got a confirmation screen and theres a pending charge on my bank account but i still havent gotten an email

is this normal? kinda nervous here

Got Haggis?

« Reply #3191 on: October 23, 2014, 10:23:09 am »
i didn't get tickets, boohoo

Yada

« Reply #3192 on: October 23, 2014, 10:23:15 am »
i got through to entering my card info but then the page wouldnt load. when i hit refresh i got a confirmation screen and theres a pending charge on my bank account but i still havent gotten an email

is this normal? kinda nervous here

if it's pending, you most likely purchased the tickets.

emmanuel

« Reply #3193 on: October 23, 2014, 10:30:10 am »
Got tickets for the 2nd night too  ;D

Yada

« Reply #3194 on: October 23, 2014, 10:34:47 am »
Got tickets for the 2nd night too  ;D

thanks for the heads up, didn't realize another night was announced!