Author Topic: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition  (Read 1456717 times)

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
Re: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition
« Reply #3270 on: December 03, 2014, 04:49:26 pm »
Its not about playing skills..its about influence.. Ace Frehley is the most important guitarist coming out of the mid 1970s....then Eddie (who was influenced by Ace).... Ace inspired a whole generation of kids to pick up the guitar...no amount of trivializing KISS is going to change that reality... From heavy metal, to pop metal to grunge to whatever... Ace was the cat's miau

Slash, Dimebag Darrell, Dave Mustaine, Marty Friedman,  Dave Sabo, Scott Ian, Kim Thayil, Mick Mars, Jake E. Lee, Paul Gilbert, Mike Mccready, Eddie Van Halen himself,

The list is endless...

Saying he is not a guitar god would be akin to saying Chuck Berry wasn't... which would be ridiculous since the guitar as rock's primary musical instrument is unimaginable without him. Does that mean Berry is a "great guitarist"? No of course not..but he is a guitar god...

of course you have to be a bit older and open minded to accept reality.... I'm pretty sure Ace did not influence Foster the People or any of the modern musicians who wouldn't know a guitar if it bit them in the ass.. the guitar "solo" is out..its uncool.... etc etc

Wrong on so many levels.
FUKIT

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #3271 on: December 03, 2014, 04:51:28 pm »
I never got the whole KISS thing. I'm pretty open-minded when it comes to 70's guitar rawk. Hell, I've been known to air guitar to Kansas, Blue Oyster Cult, and I can certainly appreciate the merits of UFO, Aerosmith, and even ZZ Top. One of the things that KISS fans always seem to emphasize is that it isn't just about the music and technical ability. It's the presentation, the brand, the sheer audacity of a band to take their image way, way over the top. I suppose that if I was more of a consumer and if I had discovered them as a kid, I may have actually liked them. But I have never heard a single KISS song that made me want to own one of their LPs. If I want puerile heavy metal vomit, I'll happily take Motley Crue or AC/DC. That being said, I appreciate why people think Frehly is a "guitar god". He can play. But that's not my religion.

IOW it does not matter if the music sucks as long as they look good doing it. :)
FUKIT

hutch

« Reply #3272 on: December 03, 2014, 04:52:02 pm »
Its not about playing skills..its about influence.. Ace Frehley is the most important guitarist coming out of the mid 1970s....then Eddie (who was influenced by Ace).... Ace inspired a whole generation of kids to pick up the guitar...no amount of trivializing KISS is going to change that reality... From heavy metal, to pop metal to grunge to whatever... Ace was the cat's miau

Slash, Dimebag Darrell, Dave Mustaine, Marty Friedman,  Dave Sabo, Scott Ian, Kim Thayil, Mick Mars, Jake E. Lee, Paul Gilbert, Mike Mccready, Eddie Van Halen himself,

The list is endless...

Saying he is not a guitar god would be akin to saying Chuck Berry wasn't... which would be ridiculous since the guitar as rock's primary musical instrument is unimaginable without him. Does that mean Berry is a "great guitarist"? No of course not..but he is a guitar god...

of course you have to be a bit older and open minded to accept reality.... I'm pretty sure Ace did not influence Foster the People or any of the modern musicians who wouldn't know a guitar if it bit them in the ass.. the guitar "solo" is out..its uncool.... etc etc

Wrong on so many levels.

coming from you this helps make my case! thank you!

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #3273 on: December 03, 2014, 04:52:32 pm »
Confucius once said "A wise man does not let his opinion get in the way of the facts."

Oh boy I bet that wise man was not a Democrat or liberal!  LOL you KNOW I had to chime in with that one...  Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.
FUKIT

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #3274 on: December 03, 2014, 04:53:36 pm »
Ace Frehley is the most important guitarist coming out of the mid 1970s

That quote in and of itself is probably the most laughable thing I have ever seen posted on these forums ever.
FUKIT

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #3275 on: December 03, 2014, 04:54:08 pm »
I never got the whole KISS thing. I'm pretty open-minded when it comes to 70's guitar rawk. Hell, I've been known to air guitar to Kansas, Blue Oyster Cult, and I can certainly appreciate the merits of UFO, Aerosmith, and even ZZ Top. One of the things that KISS fans always seem to emphasize is that it isn't just about the music and technical ability. It's the presentation, the brand, the sheer audacity of a band to take their image way, way over the top. I suppose that if I was more of a consumer and if I had discovered them as a kid, I may have actually liked them. But I have never heard a single KISS song that made me want to own one of their LPs. If I want puerile heavy metal vomit, I'll happily take Motley Crue or AC/DC. That being said, I appreciate why people think Frehly is a "guitar god". He can play. But that's not my religion.
Dude, you don't like any Kiss songs enough to go out and get an album? Dang. Also, I did discover Kiss when I was a kid, so I can see why you'd say that. But I also discovered AC/DC, GNR, Nirvana, Van Halen, etc at the same time.
‼‼?‼‼

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #3276 on: December 03, 2014, 04:54:56 pm »

That quote in and of itself is probably the most laughable thing I have ever seen posted on these forums ever.
Actually insanely offensive when you look at Rock in the 70s. I'm surprised the servers didn't crash.
‼‼?‼‼

hutch

« Reply #3277 on: December 03, 2014, 04:57:20 pm »

Actually insanely offensive when you look at Rock in the 70s. I'm surprised the servers didn't crash.

Important doesn't mean he was the best, a good guy  or anything..not sure why its offensive?

Anyways I'm bored with this.. maybe I'll start something about Johnny Thunders soon,....

bearman🐻

« Reply #3278 on: December 03, 2014, 05:00:51 pm »
Dude, you don't like any Kiss songs enough to go out and get an album? Dang. Also, I did discover Kiss when I was a kid, so I can see why you'd say that. But I also discovered AC/DC, GNR, Nirvana, Van Halen, etc at the same time.

They just weren't my thing. In theory, I should love bands like Wilco and Pavement based on other stuff I listen to. Do I? For some reason I just can't get them. KISS is the same way. FYI, has anyone heard the 45 minutes of stage banter from Paul Stanley? SO AWFUL.

K8teebug

« Reply #3279 on: December 09, 2014, 08:52:17 am »
Has anyone seen Perfume Genius yet? I wasn't that impressed with his Letterman performance (except for his kick ass outfit), but his new album is so beautiful.

azaghal1981

« Reply #3280 on: December 09, 2014, 09:45:17 pm »
oops wrong thread.
احمد

Rogue Riderhood

« Reply #3281 on: January 13, 2015, 04:15:49 pm »
Bump.

« Reply #3282 on: January 13, 2015, 06:00:36 pm »
Diarrhea Planet
Black Cat
4/8
Have missed these guys the last 3 times they were here...never again!
slack

Yada

« Reply #3283 on: January 13, 2015, 06:04:46 pm »
Diarrhea Planet
Black Cat
4/8
Have missed these guys the last 3 times they were here...never again!

Sucks they're after Matthew E. White and before Diamond Rugs in the same week. Will have to pass. ;0(

bearman🐻

« Reply #3284 on: January 14, 2015, 08:53:04 am »
I'm posting this one especially for Sidehatch

Dave Matthews Band
Nissan Pavilion
May 23

One of the shittiest most over rated bands ever at the biggest shit hole of a venue ever.  I bet ticket will be stupidly over priced.  Why that guy is so popular is beyond me.  he is nothing more than your typical average run of the mill folksie bar band.  Just goes to show you that with enough $$$ pushing something he American public will eat about anything.

(Daisies Of The Galaxy is one of my favorite Eels albums.)

I always sort of thought they'd become like a Hootie and the Blowfish type act, playing state fairs and 90's nostalgia festivals with bands like Collective Soul and Toad the Wet Sprocket...but people still really enjoy DMB. Go figure.