Author Topic: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition  (Read 1455799 times)

Relaxer

Re: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition
« Reply #4005 on: December 14, 2015, 01:26:45 pm »

Sorry, posted this in the wrong thread.

5/10
Babymetal
@ Fillmore

OH SHIT
you know this is J-pop not Kpop

I actually often prefer JPOP over KPOP. The beats tend to be cleaner and more polished and the songs are more mature and developed. Right now, Korea is just rolling out new bands like an assembly line, and while most of them are still consistently catchy as hell, there's a template of sorts that most follow. And while there are outliers, most of the new acts aren't really deviating from the template.

Japan has its share of newer, still developing/generic artists but the ones I really prefer -- Capsule, Perfume, Kyary Pamyu Pamyu, Momoiro Clover Z -- have been around awhile and have taken the KPOP model and expanded on it greatly. It's next to impossible to sort out the differences between Girls Day, Girls Generation, Your Girl, etc., but the JPOP artists I like are very distinguishable.

Babymetal is a great example of this. They're far from my favorite group, but I do like how they added some "metal" elements to their music. It doesn't always work, and I can think of about a hundred other bands I'd rather be playing here, but I'll take what I can get.

Now can we just get a goddamn Capsule/Perfume/Girls Generation/Crayon Pop/T-ARA all-day KPOP festival at RFK or what???
oword

Relaxer

« Reply #4006 on: December 14, 2015, 01:28:08 pm »
OH SHIT
Are there Korean metal bands doing something similar to Babymetal?  I might look into this later...

That I don't know. I spend my late night hours scouring blogs and websites I can't read looking for album covers of smiling nervous teenage girls dressed like techno-clowns. I'm not likely to come across guitar-based bands this way, and my stumbling on Babymetal was more of an accident than anything.
oword

« Reply #4007 on: December 14, 2015, 01:29:29 pm »
I spend my late night hours scouring blogs and websites I can't read looking for album covers of smiling nervous teenage girls dressed like techno-clowns. .
and you said you've desexualized this...really now

« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 01:31:08 pm by Sidehatch 🍺 |̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅| 🍺 »
slack

Relaxer

« Reply #4008 on: December 14, 2015, 01:30:56 pm »
It's true! I'm only into it for the music. Besides, I can't give myself a round of applause with music playing. It just takes me out of it.
oword

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4009 on: December 14, 2015, 01:35:00 pm »

^ asia's answer to pedobear!

It's true! I'm only into it for the music. Besides, I can't give myself a round of applause with music playing. It just takes me out of it.

it's called the "mute button"...
<sig>

Relaxer

« Reply #4010 on: December 14, 2015, 02:01:17 pm »
OH SHIT
Are there Korean metal bands doing something similar to Babymetal?  I might look into this later...

Fruitpochette is kinda doing the Babymetal thing, though Babymetal is more like JPOP with metal leanings and Fruitpochette strikes me as a metal band with two Asian chicks singing in front. I don't particularly care for them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zC7n3SguFBE
oword

hutch

« Reply #4011 on: December 14, 2015, 04:11:35 pm »
i lived in japan for five years.. I always hadthe hots for akina nakamori

hutch

« Reply #4012 on: December 14, 2015, 08:35:15 pm »
to me Malcolm Young was the heart of AC/DC....seeing them without him would just make me real sad... then you add no Phil Rudd... man... I'm not one of those that usually complains about bands touring when they shouldn't and stuff but when Malcolm couldn't tour I wish they had called it a day...although they have every right to tour as long as Angus wants.. its his and Malcolm's band.. no less his than Malcolms... and Phil Rudd.. as a mega-AC/DC fan... I just never liked Chris Slade's drumming at all.... too monotonous.. doesn't have any swing..

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #4013 on: December 14, 2015, 09:40:35 pm »
And Rudd was the only actual Aussie.
😐 🎶

« Reply #4014 on: December 15, 2015, 10:15:40 am »
And Rudd was the only actual Aussie.
never knew that!
slack

medeski7

« Reply #4015 on: December 15, 2015, 12:02:45 pm »
When will they break up the Merriticket and allow you to buy individual shows?  I have someone I'm trying to buy tickets for for the holidays and there is no way I'm buying a block of shows. 

Relaxer

« Reply #4016 on: December 18, 2015, 03:19:50 pm »
Do Peaches O'Dell & Her Orchestra ever play shows apart from their annual BC NYE show?
oword

hutch

« Reply #4017 on: December 18, 2015, 03:31:55 pm »
Do Peaches O'Dell & Her Orchestra ever play shows apart from their annual BC NYE show?

I think they do weddings..that kind of thing

« Reply #4018 on: December 18, 2015, 03:36:45 pm »

I think they do weddings..that kind of thing
yeah, I heard that
slack

hutch

« Reply #4019 on: December 18, 2015, 03:40:20 pm »
fookin sidehatch scrounging for adele tickets..WTF happened to you man? you used to be a cool ass punker high skateboarder.. ADELE??? really?

what's next??? a desperate call for Mannheim Steamroller tickets????