Author Topic: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition  (Read 1443850 times)

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
Re: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition
« Reply #4725 on: November 03, 2021, 02:59:51 pm »
[pavement = our generation's eagles??
Well Pavement aren't total ass nor as popular so maybe not a 1:1 comparison.
LVMH

Starsky

« Reply #4726 on: November 03, 2021, 03:03:36 pm »
Aging folks like us aren't going to continue to pay $100+ a show for a Pavement reunion year after without new material, at least me personally.

i'd argue this is the only think aging folks will pay for: they want nostalgia, not musical challenges.  the eagles haven't released anything new in ages yet they continue to sell out arenas at high ticket prices.

pavement = our generation's eagles??

You can’t generalize

All fan bases are different

But if you haven’t seen your favorite band from your 20s in ten or twenty years of course you want the old stuff first

But look at Bob Dylan….he keeps putting out new stuff….or Neil Young or Nick Cave

The Eagles are execrable as is their fan base

Space Freely

« Reply #4727 on: November 03, 2021, 03:17:13 pm »
I'm not part of either band's fan base, but I'd rather take it to the limit with the Eagles. I can't tell you why. I'm generally not one to live life in the fast lane. Maybe it's just likely that it would give me a peaceful easy feeling.

« Reply #4728 on: November 03, 2021, 03:45:56 pm »
I'm not part of either band's fan base, but I'd rather take it to the limit with the Eagles. I can't tell you why. I'm generally not one to live life in the fast lane. Maybe it's just likely that it would give me a peaceful easy feeling.
please make it stop
slack

shemptiness

« Reply #4729 on: November 03, 2021, 05:16:20 pm »
I dunno, I'm kinda looking forward to the Tears for Fears tour next year. 

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4730 on: June 06, 2022, 12:45:42 pm »
Seems silly to have the same price for a first row seat in the 400s and a last row seat in the 400s

I think the pricing model makes sense…. Users pay for what they get

I would like to extend this model to so much…why should childless parents have to pay for schools? Why does a 400 lb person pay the same for an airplane seat as me at a fighting trim 158?

People should as much as possible pay for what they use…another example that drives me nuts…why should local governments pay for entertainment as in free concerts? People who are interested should pay for circus and people who aren’t shouldn’t

Why should people who want their kids in private school have to support public schools?

hutch, don't you have a child with special needs?  if so, are you in favor of personally covering all costs associated with your child's needs?
<sig>

Starsky

« Reply #4731 on: June 06, 2022, 01:13:17 pm »
For all the good it’s been doing…we of course had a year and a half of no school - devastating for my kids progress-and then this year has been quite rough.

Am not entirely sure how schools could be funded but I am sure it’s a bit of a boondoggle and taxpayer money is wasted. In the past decade one school has been remodeled then my kid was shifted to a newly built school on the space a perfectly great school operated itself built where another school used to operate. The way they build and tear down schools here gives me great pause. Must be nice for the builders….

I definitely feel strongly parents putting their kids in private schools shouldn’t have to fund their local public schools. And when it comes to public schools middle class childless people shouldn’t have to subsidize public schools for the rich. How exactly public schools should be funded I don’t entirely know. Maybe a balance could be struck. There is something offputting about the amount of wealth here in Arlington, tons of parents probably defense contractors pulling up in Tesla’s, and knowing less well off people in Arlington who don’t use the public schools are to some degree forced to fund them. I think it’s bizarre.

« Reply #4732 on: June 06, 2022, 01:51:24 pm »
I definitely feel strongly parents putting their kids in private schools shouldn’t have to fund their local public schools.
so I drive a car, so should not pay for public transportation
What a week argument
Hey I’m healthy, why should I have to pay for health insurance

This IMO is one of the worst takes I have ever heard you make

And yes you totally sound like “I am looking out for #1” bs rhetoric that comes from MAGAts… which is 100% “I’m selfish and don’t want to pay taxes so some other person might benefit from it who is not me”

And when it comes to public schools middle class childless people shouldn’t have to subsidize public schools for the rich.
wait aren’t the public schools mostly paid for by property tax?   You don’t think those people who bought that 1.5 million 2 bed 2 bath house paid dearly to live in arlington… location is part of it, but most of why arlington is so expensive is the schools.  As with most areas
Actually that’s part of the rub how the wealthy get awesome public schools,  it if you live in SW VA do you think they have an well funded special needs program and the kids are getting macs.  So the wealthy get the best public schools by a long shot
It’s not even remotely equitable

Isn’t education of the masses a public good and should be supported by All Americans

Is reform and oversight needed: YES!

Honestly I do think the feds should have a bigger role, as because where you are born has a lot to do with the quality of education.

If you grow up in the south, it’s quite challenging to get a decent public education, especially if you are not white

I think that needs to be fixed, and standardized testing is not the solution
slack

Starsky

« Reply #4733 on: June 06, 2022, 02:10:58 pm »
There’s a lot to unpack there but this is definitely worthy of discussion.

But user charges happening all the time in roads or haven’t you noticed I66? It can cost $40 to go from the beltway to DC! It’s the same type of model as concert tickets btw: the more that want to use the more it costs.

Starsky

« Reply #4734 on: June 06, 2022, 02:17:21 pm »
And we can disagree without being disagreeable

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4735 on: June 06, 2022, 02:31:13 pm »
you're looking at education as a private, personal benefit: parents want their kids to be educated, so they should pay for that education.  however, education is a public good.  we cannot maintain our standard of living, our social structures, etc. without an educated population.  folks who want to defund education, or make it a personal expense, will save a little in the short term and then risk either a decrease in their standard of living, and/or social collapse, in the long-term.  we need a well-paid, groeing working class to pay for social benefits, i.e. it's a social investment.

amen.
<sig>

Starsky

« Reply #4736 on: June 06, 2022, 02:55:56 pm »
Our people don’t seem that well educated as is….

« Reply #4737 on: June 06, 2022, 04:07:56 pm »

amen.
I really didn't think I was being that disagreeable TBH

there are a small list of things that really grind my gears...and people bitching about paying for public schools has to be at the top of the list.  Especially with the argument "I don't have kids why should I pay"
So trust me if you say that again, I will predictably go berserk, again

is money wasted, yes
could it be better, yes
Is it absolutely essential that all those who have money to tax contribute, yes

I'd like them to take 10% of what the spend on our military and put it into the public schools and out of the hands of the political cronies who run defense contracting firms

Lets be clear, I agree on the commercial justification of every seat in a venue is not the same, thus should be charged for appropriately
I guess I just benefited under the old model, because I got tix early or found good ways to get face value tix
those days are gone and with that the ability to see 20-30 shows a year because the avg ticket cost went from $30 to $75-100 in what seems like only a few years
Sorry if I sound like the old man yelling at the cloud on this one, but going to concerts is for the well heeled now.
Couldn't imagine being a broke 20 something and seeing more than a few shows a year

The roads example.  I'm a fan of toll roads/hot lanes...but the deal pretty much is, there are still other driving options to taking the hot lanes/66....but you pay with time in traffic
They do ultimately subsidies the other roads and even lessen the traffic on other roads
but that's not an apples to apples argument at all.., with contributing to public schools because you are a citizen, not just a parent

Our people don’t seem that well educated as is….
sadly this I can't argue with.  but this has a lot more to do with how the rich get good public schools and the poor get shitty ones
if ALL public schools were very similar, things would be very different, but right now it's all about what zip code you are in...period

And you are foolish if you don't think there are a lot of very poor people who happen to be lucky enough to be able to live in Arlington (mostly due to a pretty decent subsidized hosing program...although you north of 50 know not much about that) and benefit from the tax base of all those wealthy defense contractors
which I think is great
« Last Edit: June 06, 2022, 04:24:27 pm by ScooterHatch ıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

Starsky

« Reply #4738 on: June 06, 2022, 05:15:58 pm »
Subsidized housing…….oh boy

Talk about a waste of taxpayer money!

Starsky

« Reply #4739 on: June 09, 2022, 08:30:21 am »
About Demi Lovato going from arena to Anthem

https://news.pollstar.com/2022/06/07/demi-lovato-announces-holy-fvck-fall-tour/

Sounds like she was moving about 12,000 tickets last tour…so not near selling out arenas…. Probably higher average ticket price this time around. So this time 6000 tickets available

Could be an “underplay”