Author Topic: Stone Roses reunion rumors surface again  (Read 23211 times)

TheREALHunter

Stone Roses reunion rumors surface again
« on: April 07, 2011, 07:40:27 am »
I'm considering the source since The Sun is the UK equivalent of the National Enquirer; still I'm curious as to whether there's any truth to it.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/music/3513586/Stone-Roses-resurrected.html

Frank Gallagher

Re: Stone Roses reunion rumors surface again
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 09:12:09 am »
I might have to eat my words about never paying $500 for a show!!!!  ;)

Seriously....I still wouldn't do it, just out of pure stubborness.

As for the Sun - it is a wrag alright but they do break some pretty incredible stories. If I ever want scoop on the English football scene I check the Sun first.

ggw

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 09:52:11 am »
I hear Fugazi is playing Fort Reno this summer.

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 10:33:53 am »
I might have to eat my words about never paying $500 for a show!!!!  ;)

Seriously....I still wouldn't do it, just out of pure stubborness.

As for the Sun - it is a wrag alright but they do break some pretty incredible stories. If I ever want scoop on the English football scene I check the Sun first.

Your nostalgic memories (and the drugs you've taken) are clouding your ability to honestly judge. 

Of course I never saw them but from all accounts, most of the time, they were pretty dire live.  Like, "Hole"-at the-9:30-club-dire.

Have you listened to Spike Island recently?  It's a mess.  Even Noel Gallagher mentions a boot he heard in which they are playing "I Am The Resurrection" and each member is playing a completely different section of the song.  Plus, there was the disasterous 96 Reading appearance.

The Stone Roses are almost a parallel to an American band with "Roses" in their name.

1.  Fantastic debut.
2.  Bloated follow-up (though underrated).
3.  Shed original members.
4.  Charismatic lead singer.
5.  Live-wire guitarist.
6.  Bassist joined contemporaries (Primal Scream, Jane's Addiction (briefly))
7.  People losing their sh*t over a possible reunion.

So basically what I?m saying is, they sucked live.  You?re a bigger fool to pay over $500 than the idiots paying to see Charlie Sheen.  And if you DID think they were great live, then it was the drugs telling you that....a lot like Charlie Sheen.

Brian

hutch

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 10:35:55 am »
saw them..at the 930 club before the 930 club.. coincidentally also saw hole there..

hole was great. the stone roses weren't very good..

godsshoeshine

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 10:40:50 am »
i blame james iha
o/\o

bearman🐻

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 10:43:27 am »
Disagree. There were some bad performances for sure, but I saw them twice. Once I thought it was GREAT, the second time Ian's vocals were horrible but the band played fairly well. When all is said and done, I'll give it a chance if Reni is on board because I've never seen them perform with him. The Empress Ballroom Blackpool concert they did is fantastic, that is worth watching. But if we're going for that era, the best of those bands hands down was Inspiral Carpets. And Carter U.S.M. Inspiral Carpets were criminally overlooked. I'd also throw Catherine Wheel into the mix.

eros

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 10:45:45 am »
Like the sucker that I am, I'd probably pay for this.  But Ian Brown rivals Liam Gallagher as one of the worst live vocalists ever....

A little pitchy dawg
ʎɐʍou

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 10:46:57 am »
Aw crap....Brian won't let me go!  ::)

James Ford

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2011, 10:51:25 am »
You're forgetting EMF.

Disagree. There were some bad performances for sure, but I saw them twice. Once I thought it was GREAT, the second time Ian's vocals were horrible but the band played fairly well. When all is said and done, I'll give it a chance if Reni is on board because I've never seen them perform with him. The Empress Ballroom Blackpool concert they did is fantastic, that is worth watching. But if we're going for that era, the best of those bands hands down was Inspiral Carpets. And Carter U.S.M. Inspiral Carpets were criminally overlooked. I'd also throw Catherine Wheel into the mix.

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2011, 10:56:54 am »
LOL. I saw Carter USM and EMF together! :) Guess I wont see those 2 bands ever playing together again.

Would love to see the Inspirals and if Catherine Wheel came around again - Id jump all over that.

I figured the closest Id come to seeing The Roses was seeing John Squire in the Seahorses and Ian Brown as a solo artist. Would be quite awesome if they reformed. Its now up on NME about this possible reunion.

You're forgetting EMF.

HeyLa

bearman🐻

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2011, 10:58:13 am »
I stand by my tastes :) Carter wrote some witty and VERY clever tunes. Inspiral Carpets to this day put on the best concert that integrated visuals with their music...some of the sickest lighting, videos and projections I've ever seen. It was more like performance art than a rock show. But when the whole thing came together it was one of the craziest things I've ever seen in my life. My sister still talks about it too, and she's not a music geek like I am.

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2011, 11:03:36 am »
so is there any chance (however unlikely it may be) that the inspirals would reunite and play shows in the states? id imagine itd be slim to none (or maybe nyc).

Ive always wanted to see Neds again and I know on occasion they play shows in the UK. I need to go next time.

I stand by my tastes :) Carter wrote some witty and VERY clever tunes. Inspiral Carpets to this day put on the best concert that integrated visuals with their music...some of the sickest lighting, videos and projections I've ever seen. It was more like performance art than a rock show. But when the whole thing came together it was one of the craziest things I've ever seen in my life. My sister still talks about it too, and she's not a music geek like I am.
HeyLa

bearman🐻

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2011, 11:10:04 am »
I honestly don't think there's enough Inspirals geeks like me to get them over here, which is sad because they were such a great band. They've done shows in Europe to moderate success though. Ned's, on the other hand, did well over here. They SHOULD tour. But none really had the buzz/hype that the Stone Roses did, although just a few years later Oasis was hyped the most, which I never quite understood. the Manchester dance stuff was infinitely more interesting to me, even though I dug the first couple Oasis LPs. And I know this is the most bizarre statement, but "Leisure" by Blur is still my favorite record of theirs. It's like saying "Pablo Honey" is your favorite Radiohead LP.

Mobius

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2011, 11:16:25 am »
A few days ago I rewatched the Stone Roses at Blackpool from August 1989 on youtube.  Its frickin great and the genius of Reni and the brilliance the band when everything meshed really shines through. . .as does the capturing lightning in a bottle quality of their 1989/90 run.  Reni's last show was at Glasgow Green all the way back in June 1990.   I don't know if Reni would/could come back and the old chemistry somehow recaptured, but a return in the diminished 1995 form would be a disappointment.