Author Topic: Google Music Beta  (Read 8799 times)

nkotb

Re: Google Music Beta
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2011, 09:15:34 pm »
Still going for now...it's been slow going as I was out of town for a few days.  Just about to pass 10k, but my upload says it's good for 34,917 (which is less than the total number of songs I have).  We'll see, I guess...

Still not sure how it'll handle changes/adds/deletes from iTunes, since that's still my primary database, but so far, I'm digging it too.

Did they already up the total number of songs?  Can't tell or not, but it seems to let me upload 35k.

I ended up getting past 20K songs and then my Db was parred back to 20K.  You?

Still loving this BTW...

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2011, 12:07:18 pm »
Still loving this BTW...

i'm not "getting it", and i think it's for the same reason as why i don't need a 80 GB ipod - i don't need access to all my music at all times in all places.  my foray into mobile digital music started, and continues, on an ipod nano with 8 GB.  i'm used to limiting what music i have with me at any time.  i'm typically listening to a few new albums, have a few in my to-be-listened-to queue, and a few old-timers that i dug up (typically EDM music to run/work out to).  when i sync my ipod, i have to remove music in order to add new stuff so i'm used to being cut off from part of my music collection while on the go.  for me, limiting what i have access to helps to ensure that i get around to listening to everything at least once.  

maybe if i start using my phone as a secondary listening device it'll all make sense.  or if i'm at a party and i want to pull up a tune.
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2011, 12:57:51 pm »
Still going for now...it's been slow going as I was out of town for a few days.  Just about to pass 10k, but my upload says it's good for 34,917 (which is less than the total number of songs I have).  We'll see, I guess...

I guess we'll find out soon.

So I was originally good for 44K songs.  I didn't notice, but after I started, I got a new warning on my Music Manager that said that I was over the limit of 20K songs, but it kept uploading.  I thought I was over 20K, but I wasn't (Music Manager froze on my server while I was in Vegas).  It says now I'm at 19590 songs so I'll see in a little while.

OOPS:  I just deleted a book on CD that had uploaded.  That removed 422 tracks so we're going to have to wait a little longer to see what happens at 20K.  Rookie move...
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 02:24:52 pm by vansmack »
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2011, 02:31:30 pm »
i'm not "getting it", and i think it's for the same reason as why i don't need a 80 GB ipod - i don't need access to all my music at all times in all places.

Playlists, playlists playlists.....

One place to unify all playlists across all my devices.  Make a change on my phone, it shows up on my computer when I get to work.  Listen to music at work all day, thumbs up a song or two, it's reflected on my Dev phone that I use with my stereo.  This by far has been the biggest benefit to me for Google Music.

And on the making sure I listen to new stuff at least once - I have a playlist called "New Albums."  Now that is synced across all my devices too.  It's brilliant.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2011, 02:34:57 pm »
maybe if i start using my phone as a secondary listening device it'll all make sense. 

And what's your primary listening device?
27>34

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2011, 03:00:12 pm »
good point about the playlist updating.  this leads me to another question about people's digital music workflow/consumption patterns - gonna start a new thread about that.

maybe if i start using my phone as a secondary listening device it'll all make sense. 

And what's your primary listening device?

for mobile listening, ipod nano.  for sedentary, it's laptop + headphones or laptop/ipod + stereo.  for critical listening, i transfer to my offline desktop which has an external soundcard and is connected to 2 different sets of speakers.  i don't have a home media server although i might get around to setting one up at some point, as both the TV and the BR player allow me to stream music to the stereo.
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2011, 03:12:08 pm »
One potential problem for families:

While I was listening on my desktop at work today, I grabbed my phone to help a friend with an issue with Google Music on his phone.  When I started up the playback on my phone, it paused the playback on my desktop.  Could be problematic with multiple user households....
27>34

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2011, 03:29:33 pm »
One potential problem for families:

While I was listening on my desktop at work today, I grabbed my phone to help a friend with an issue with Google Music on his phone.  When I started up the playback on my phone, it paused the playback on my desktop.  Could be problematic with multiple user households....

ha.  i guess the solution is for each family member to set up their own GMusic account and upload the exact same songs a second time (and third, and...).  it's a waste but i suspect G needs to do this to show the labels that this isn't a file-sharing service.

i wonder if the system is set up so that if person A uploads a mp3 and person B uploads the *exact* same file, the system stores only one copy.
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2011, 04:29:14 pm »
i wonder if the system is set up so that if person A uploads a mp3 and person B uploads the *exact* same file, the system stores only one copy.

I think this is what they were trying to do and couldn't reach a deal with the record companies.

I think this is exactly what you should expect from Apple on Monday, however, at least from the big music companies...
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2011, 07:10:44 pm »
it's good for 34,917

I guess we'll find out soon.

It says now I'm at 19590 songs so I'll see in a little while.

20,185 and rising....
27>34

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2011, 01:20:56 pm »
finally got my invite, 46 of 44,954 added....
(o|o)

vansmack

« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2011, 03:51:27 pm »
I seem to have been capped at 21,333 but I will need to verify on my server when I get home.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2011, 12:21:24 am »
I seem to have been capped at 21,333 but I will need to verify on my server when I get home.

I was definitely cut off at 23,895 songs.  I have to delete in order to upload more.

It was the chance I took, I guess.  I definitely would have done manual upload if I listened to their warning...it's a bit of a pain in the ass now.
27>34

nkotb

« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2011, 09:47:37 am »
Interesting...the message on my upload just changed to read "10,827 of about 30,000 songs added...15,475 songs skipped.  You have more than the 20,000 maximum songs allowed. Not all of your songs will be added."

Guess they're enforcing it now.  Thought I was lucking out for a bit.

I was definitely cut off at 23,895 songs.  I have to delete in order to upload more.

It was the chance I took, I guess.  I definitely would have done manual upload if I listened to their warning...it's a bit of a pain in the ass now.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2011, 11:30:22 am »
enough about the google music beta, the hot beta social music website is turntable.fm...  based on the blogosphere BUZZ this site has the potential to be way kwel.  even with a "friend" and another possibly another friend on facebook in on this beta, i can't get in.  even had a even way cool boardie try to get me an email invite which has materialized  :'(  of course more than likely i'll eventually get kicked out of my own DJ room...
T.Rex